Value of Vintage Dressers

These were purchased by my aunt approximately 50 years ago. I ended up with them when I last moved, and my kids have been using them for several years now. I'm in the process of moving again and they are way too heavy and outside of our taste to justify moving. I cannot locate any markings on either of them. They are very heavy. How can I find out a ballpark figure for what they are worth?

It will be hard with no markings. Look on the sides of the drawers.

I remember this style of furniture was popular in the 60's but it may be difficult to sell as most people will use some of the same reasons as you - too heavy, vintage but not antique, unknown brand/company, too dark. But, you just never know when someone will see these pieces and these could be just what they are looking for.

• Take the top drawers out and look closely inside and outside as there may be some type of name or symbol. If there is a wood layer/partition under/between the drawers, use a flash light and look there also. Look on the back of both pieces also.
  • Ad

• If you cannot find any names/markings don't be discouraged as there was a lot of good sturdy (real wood) furniture manufactured that did not show a company name.
  • I would suggest you seek some free appraisals (online) and see what one of these people tell you about these pieces.
  • An appraisal will give you a ball park figure but it will not mean you may actually sell it for that price. Furniture usually sold on eBay will have a "no shipping" or "pick up only" so it is like selling it on your local Craigslist for a buyer in your local area.
  • You can check out some of these sites to see what value they place on your pieces. Be sure to have some good photos and measurements and list any defects (missing drawer pull).
  • antiques.lovetoknow.com/Free_Antique_Appraisals_Online
  • Barneby's is the best site but they charge $17 for an appraisal.
  • www.barnebys.com/.../
  • If you wind up asking a "good" price for your pieces, be prepared to not be in a hurry for a sale but feel very fortunate if you do get a fast sale.
  • Ad

• Some people think that an appraisal is a "waste of time" but potential buyers like to see an official appraisal and it can be a good selling point.

Just checking is it possible that this is 40+ years old vs 50+? I ask because I get more of a mid to early 1970s vibe from the furniture...vs 60s. 1970s furniture is much more ornate than the clean lines of 60's pieces. That might help with your research.

That said I am dealing with a very similar situation now and am having a bear of a time finding anyone interested in similar pieces. My next step is going to an auction house that specializes in small estates just to get them out of the apartment we are disbanding.

Let me know how your search/sale goes and I will let you know what the auction house says. Thanks!

This style of furniture may have gone into the 70's but I know for sure that it was very popular in the early 60's as I have a bedroom set from 1962 that looks very, very similar but mine is a name brand (and I still love it) but I'm not sure it would be a high value item if I tried to sell it.

You will also find that dining room sets in the same style were also popular but they have held their value more so than bedroom furniture.

Thanks cybergrannie!!! That is good to know. My hometown (especially back in the 60s and 70s) was always behind the times with trends...so that might explain my late exposure to this style. I am going to go back to the drawing board with the pieces I am trying to sell and see if that helps me locate more info on them. I hope it helps Jason (the original poster also). It is so good that there are so many wise and kind folks in the world willing to share info!! Thanks again!!