Value of a Vintage Wooden Bed Frame

Category Collectibles
Vintage furniture may either retain its value or even increase in value, depending on the manufacturer, condition, and uniqueness of the piece. This is a guide about determining the value of a vintage wooden bed frame.

This bed frame was purchased in SE Georgia by my mother sometime in the 1940s I believe and has been in the family ever since. It is some type of hardwood and was probably made in the Carolinas due to their proximity to where she lived. The original color was a brownish-red, but it has been refinished in more of a redwood color.

It is in very good condition for its age (no breaks, chunks, or dents), but probably should be refinished professionally. I love it (my wife doesn't) and we are moving, so I have to sell it. I don't want to give it away if it has any value, but I have no idea if it is worth anymore than firewood. Can you help!

Answers

Best Answer

My husband is a part time auctioneer. Things from the 40's are not as valuable as many think. At auction in our area, it may go for around $50.

Best Answer

You have a beautiful bed there! The value may depend a little on the brand of furniture. If it is stamped somewhere visible that can help you determine this it would help you.

If it has been painted over, the value is lessened some. But also..whether you sell it to a private party or through an auction or similar type sale will have some determination in how much you will be able to sell it for.

Best Answer

Unfortunately, you can't find out who has made this bed or the company. You can always try and find an antique dealer in your area and show him a picture of the bed. Maybe he has an idea about this and can point you in the right direction.

However, beds that were made around 1940 don't bring a high resale value at all. It is a shame this happens, but if the bed was from the 1900's, this would of been a bit better. The bed is around 80 years old and in this case the price at auction would go for $50 to $150 depending on the supply and demand.

I am trying to find out how much this bed might be worth. Any suggestions?

Answers

Look for markings behind or under the bed. It will be difficult to determine age/value without knowing who made it.

May i send pics to help?

(Describe Your Image Here)

Excellent pictures but there are so many variables that only a true antique person could place a value on a bed like this.

Everything about the bed would mean something to someone familiar with furniture like this but for most members of this site, they would not be searchable and that is how we would have to determine value - mostly with finding same or very similar sold items.

I would suggest you pay a $17 fee and ask Barneby's for an appraisal as they have experts available that know antiques.

www.barnebys.com/.../

If you decide to do this be sure to include any information you have about the bed (provenance) as well as measurements and pictures.

There are some free appraisal sites but you can Google and find several of those.

For me, setting a value is going to be a bit of a challenge without a maker or a year. You could (to learn more):

-- take it to an antique dealer and ask him/her to give you an insurance value and some history on the piecewhich would tell you what it is worth in your area. If you ended up selling it to them you would not be getting the value, but would be getting what they want to pay so they can mark it up to the value price and make a profit

--talk to a consignment shop and see what they would sell it for and if they know any history on it (knowing they sell it for you they will take a percentage of the sale)

--use the genre method to set a price...but know this is really not the best method as some sellers are overly ambitious and want big bucks for something worthless and others are trying to close an estate and are asking penny's on the dollar for something valuable.

Without a true apples to apples match of something that someone sold, you cannot know the true market value today.

As an example of doing a genre search...I put the term ornate mahogany bedroom into eBay and came up with this auction:

www.ebay.com/.../283155297124?hash=item41ed5ef364...

I personally think this seller is overly ambitious, but you never know if someone MUST HAVE this item, they will pay the price!

You can do that same search in Google and see if you can find similar sets on Craig's list or Facebook Marketplace and what they are asking and that can help you set your value (price to sell).