Value of a Vintage Wooden Bed Frame?

Category Collectibles
Vintage furniture may either retain its value or even increase in value, depending on the manufacturer, condition, and uniqueness of the piece. This is a page about determining the value of a vintage wooden bed frame.

This bed frame was purchased in SE Georgia by my mother sometime in the 1940s I believe and has been in the family ever since. It is some type of hardwood and was probably made in the Carolinas due to their proximity to where she lived. The original color was a brownish-red, but it has been refinished in more of a redwood color.

It is in very good condition for its age (no breaks, chunks, or dents), but probably should be refinished professionally. I love it (my wife doesn't) and we are moving, so I have to sell it. I don't want to give it away if it has any value, but I have no idea if it is worth anymore than firewood. Can you help!

Answers

Best Answer

My husband is a part time auctioneer. Things from the 40's are not as valuable as many think. At auction in our area, it may go for around $50.

Best Answer

You have a beautiful bed there! The value may depend a little on the brand of furniture. If it is stamped somewhere visible that can help you determine this it would help you.

If it has been painted over, the value is lessened some. But also..whether you sell it to a private party or through an auction or similar type sale will have some determination in how much you will be able to sell it for.

Best Answer

Unfortunately, you can't find out who has made this bed or the company. You can always try and find an antique dealer in your area and show him a picture of the bed. Maybe he has an idea about this and can point you in the right direction.

However, beds that were made around 1940 don't bring a high resale value at all. It is a shame this happens, but if the bed was from the 1900's, this would of been a bit better. The bed is around 80 years old and in this case the price at auction would go for $50 to $150 depending on the supply and demand.

I just bought this fold out bed. It wasn't cheap. I am hoping that I made a good investment. I have been trying to find something online similar to it as far as design, but I was an able to. It is a fold out bed with a bench seat in front, hand carved with what looks like dragons to me in the corners of the back and on the handrails.

If you could please give me a roundabout value or referral of any website so I can find it myself.

Answers

Best Answer

If you have paid less than $600 for the item you did well. There are some listed online for this price. If the item sold for more than this price then you did not do so well in buying it. However, this is a nice pullout bed and the design is beautiful. I would be happy with your purchase.

I have a wooden cot or twin bed frame with mesh springs. Does anyone have some insight as to how I determine the age, value, and/or proper description of this bed?

It has no imprints or tags to indicate manufacturer.

Answers

I'm not sure about this but from the picture it appears (to me) that someone has taken an 'old' twin? foot and headboard and made a wooden frame to fit it.
The wire on top appears to be a type of metal (usually aluminum) and fastened it to the frame. You can see the newer types of metal brackets that were used to fasten the homemade frame to the headboard.

This type of thing was usually done so that bed springs were not necessary and only a mattress was needed.
This is similar types of metal that could be used.

(Most people used a wire fencing called 'hardware cloth' and spread a cover over the top (under the mattress).

www.archiexpo.com/.../diamond-shaped-wire-mesh-48676.html

www.archiexpo.com/.../product-91518-1843336.html

As to value - I would have no idea as it just looks like an older bed with a homemade frame to me so hopefully other members will have more useful information.

Thank you!

This bed is not pre-1800's when beds were made out of iron. This is a reproduction made of wood and aluminum .Here is some history on types of beds throughout the years. - In it's present condition you could get up to $200- www.hunker.com/.../how-to-determine-age-of-an-antique...

I tend to agree with cybergrannie that this is a wood worker made piece. My thinking is it was a crib deconstructed and turned into a day bed. Or it could have been two twin headboards, but it has a crib look to it.

As to valuing it, if it is a one of a kind piece, you can ask what you want an take best offer. It is in very well loved condition so maybe a refurbish would give it more value.

Before you do anything, have a reputable vintage reseller look at it in person to confirm what we suspect. They will be able to look at screws and metal connectors which aren't easy to get a good look at via photo.

Thanks for sharing! Post back what you learn!

This does look like a smaller bed (difficult to tell from pictures) maybe a youth bed? Since the pictures are on an angle it's difficult to tell if the two end pieces are the same size (the foot board looks shorter in the picture).
It appears to be in good condition and would probably refurbish nicely.
It is a large piece so the value would have to be adjusted to what is popular in the area.

If you are in to refurbishing furniture then this seems like it would be a great piece to work on.
There are lots of examples of refurbished bed on Pinterest and other sites so maybe take a look and turn this into a beauty - it has lots of potential and refurbished items do sell - sometimes faster than 'original' pieces as people generally like 'one of a kind' items.
Good luck and post back with what you decide to do with this neat bed.

This oak bed frame was my grandmother's. I was hoping I could get some help with the value? This has been in my family as far as I can remember, but would hate to donate it if it's of some value. Any help?

Thank you!!

Answers

Not knowing who actually made this makes it a bit harder to identify how old it really is. I would really contact an antique dealer in your area and talk to them about this piece. I would hold off until you can get it check out for the value. it looks like it is in great condition and it is possible you may be able to sell this in an antique store on confinement.

How old was your grandma? Is it a full or twin size? Does the metal connector have any marks on it? Where are you located? Do you have any if the other pieces?

Maybe with more information, I can help.

Regardless of its provenance, a nice bed like this could run to $300 or so because that's what you would expect to buy it for at a nice furniture place.

Consumer Advice CollectiblesMay 3, 2018
😎
😷
🐛
📓
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Value-of-a-Vintage-Wooden-Bed-Frame-1.html