Value of a Vintage Wooden Bed Frame

Category Collectibles
Vintage furniture may either retain its value or even increase in value, depending on the manufacturer, condition, and uniqueness of the piece. This is a guide about determining the value of a vintage wooden bed frame.

This bed frame was purchased in SE Georgia by my mother sometime in the 1940s I believe and has been in the family ever since. It is some type of hardwood and was probably made in the Carolinas due to their proximity to where she lived. The original color was a brownish-red, but it has been refinished in more of a redwood color.

It is in very good condition for its age (no breaks, chunks, or dents), but probably should be refinished professionally. I love it (my wife doesn't) and we are moving, so I have to sell it. I don't want to give it away if it has any value, but I have no idea if it is worth anymore than firewood. Can you help!

Answers

Best Answer

My husband is a part time auctioneer. Things from the 40's are not as valuable as many think. At auction in our area, it may go for around $50.

Best Answer

You have a beautiful bed there! The value may depend a little on the brand of furniture. If it is stamped somewhere visible that can help you determine this it would help you.

If it has been painted over, the value is lessened some. But also..whether you sell it to a private party or through an auction or similar type sale will have some determination in how much you will be able to sell it for.

Best Answer

Unfortunately, you can't find out who has made this bed or the company. You can always try and find an antique dealer in your area and show him a picture of the bed. Maybe he has an idea about this and can point you in the right direction.

However, beds that were made around 1940 don't bring a high resale value at all. It is a shame this happens, but if the bed was from the 1900's, this would of been a bit better. The bed is around 80 years old and in this case the price at auction would go for $50 to $150 depending on the supply and demand.

Thanks for taking the time to answer!!
Best,
Dave in Seattle