MiscellaneousCollectibles

Value of a Vintage Wooden Bed Frame

This bed frame was purchased in SE Georgia by my mother sometime in the 1940s I believe and has been in the family ever since. It is some type of hardwood and was probably made in the Carolinas due to their proximity to where she lived. The original color was a brownish-red, but it has been refinished in more of a redwood color.

It is in very good condition for its age (no breaks, chunks, or dents), but probably should be refinished professionally. I love it (my wife doesn't) and we are moving, so I have to sell it. I don't want to give it away if it has any value, but I have no idea if it is worth anymore than firewood. Can you help!

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

My husband is a part time auctioneer. Things from the 40's are not as valuable as many think. At auction in our area, it may go for around $50.

Thanks for taking the time to answer!!
Best,
Dave in Seattle

You have a beautiful bed there! The value may depend a little on the brand of furniture. If it is stamped somewhere visible that can help you determine this it would help you.

If it has been painted over, the value is lessened some. But also..whether you sell it to a private party or through an auction or similar type sale will have some determination in how much you will be able to sell it for.

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I believe I looked all over the bed before and did not find any manufacturer's markings-but I'll check again. I did not stain the underneath sides of the frame-so hopefully I didn't cover up any markings :-))). Best, Dave in Seattle

You need to know who manufactured the bed. Look on the sides, on the bottom and the back for an inscription or plaque.

Once you know that you can google it and find out more.

Done that before I posted-nothing on any part of the bed.

Unfortunately, you can't find out who has made this bed or the company. You can always try and find an antique dealer in your area and show him a picture of the bed. Maybe he has an idea about this and can point you in the right direction.

However, beds that were made around 1940 don't bring a high resale value at all. It is a shame this happens, but if the bed was from the 1900's, this would of been a bit better. The bed is around 80 years old and in this case the price at auction would go for $50 to $150 depending on the supply and demand.

Thank you for your reply-I'll try a local antique dealer and see if they can help.

Best,
Dave in Seatle