Removing Musty Smell from a Wardrobe

Category Odors
Musty odors in your wardrobe can be absorbed by the clothing stored inside. This is a guide about removing musty smell from a wardrobe.

I live in a block of flats, on the ground floor, built in the 1950s I'd say. I moved in during the summer. Now that it's winter my bedroom, which has a build-in old type fitted wardrobe, feels damp if touched. It it smells musky and if I put stuff in it gets mildew, I can't stand the smell. I open windows all day, but that doesn't air out the inside of it. I don't know how to deal with the smells in the bedroom. I've put baking soda in tonight, but what else can I do? Any ideas? Please and thanks.

Answers

Unfortunately there is little you can do with older buildings and water/mold problems. From your description, it seems that the area of your bedroom, and specifically the wardrobe, could be affected by leaking old water pipes under or at the side of the building, a spring from underground, a mucky soil area around the building etc. There could be many reasons and resources for the winter mold.

I would guess that the problem also affects other buildings in your area.

Unfortunately, again, the best fix is to move out of the building. Second best is to try the many drying ideas, however, I doubt you will have much success. Also, and most important-a moldy room, house, building etc., may affect your health-mold allergies, damp environment. The site below will provide more information:

http://www.medi  sure/article.htm

My wardrobe is not good and it becomes moist. How can I clean my cupboard so that my clothes do not smell musty?

By Ankita