Removing Musty Smell from a Bed

Category Odors
Musty Mattress
Removing a musty smell from a bed will probably require some deep cleaning. This is a guide about removing musty smell from a bed.

When I walk into our bedroom I am hit almost immediately with a foul musty smell. It is coming from the bed. I change the bedding on a monthly basis. How can I get rid of the smell and where is it coming from? Should I buy new pillows, etc.? Any help will be much appreciated as I am quite ashamed of people coming to our home in case they go in our room and smell it. Its definitely the bed, nowhere else.

DONNA from UNITED KINGDOM

Best Answer

Strip down the bed completely and wash everything. Vacuum the matteress and under the bed. Then either spray with Febreze and let air for awhile, or sprinkle with baking soda, let sit for at least an hour, and then vacuum again. Our bodies shed about a gram of skin a day. Dustmites feed on that and they poo about 20 times a day. It is also very important to replace your pillows every few years.

Best Answer

I change our bed at least once a week. Maybe this would help.

Best Answer

It sounds as if you have mildew in your mattress, which is a serious health hazard. You probably should replace the mattress with a new one; then purchase a damp-proof mattress cover which completely covers the new mattress. Change your bedding weekly and make sure your bedroom is amply ventilated. If the area you live in is damp consider a dehumidifier. If you see black mould on your walls, however, you need to get a professional in to take care of it promptly. My granddaughter was infected with mould that was growing within her bedroom wall and not visible and has permanent lung damage as a result.

Best Answer

Take everything you can out to the yard on a sunny day and leave it in the sun for as long as you can. The ultraviolet light in the sunlight will kill the bacteria that is causing the smell.

Can anyone provide a remedy to get rid of a musty, mildew smell on an old bed?

By Maddy

Are you able to air it out in the sunshine? Or open the windows to a room and leave it open? That should help. I have a Little Green Machine and I have steam cleaned my spare bed when grandkids had an accident before I got the the mattress cover with a vinegar and water solution.