Removing Odors From a Mattress

Category Odors
Through normal usage a mattress can develop noticeable unpleasant odors. This is a guide about removing odors from a mattress.

30 years ago, I started using Avon sprinkle bath powder to sprinkle on my rugs for them to smell fresh. After leaving on a few minutes, I vacuumed it up. I also have sprinkled my favorite Avon bath powder on top of my mattress cover rubbing in the powder before putting on the sheets. I also sprinkle a little on the pillow before I put back the slip cover. The room smells great and so does the bed. Years later, a spray came out to spray on your covers, couch, etc. However, it left a wet film. The powder doesn't.

This is a guide about remove urine odors from a mattress. A strong smell that can be difficult to remove from a mattress.

Mattress

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

Removing a musty smell from a bed will probably require some deep cleaning. This is a guide about removing musty smell from a bed.

Musty Mattress

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I am renting and my landlord gave us a kingsize bed. My problem is that the mattress smells from body odor and where ever it was stored. How can I get that odor out? I have tried Febreze and Lysol. It is driving us crazy.

Thanks,
Cwazywabbit from Ripley, TN

Answers

Best Answer

Regardless of how much of the odor you can remove I would encase the mattress in plastic and then put a mattress cover over top of that before putting your sheets on. You are then protected from anything distasteful left on the mattress as well as any lingering odor.

Anonymous
Best Answer

I would sleep on an air mattress before I would sleep on a mattress that smelled of body odors or any other kind of odors. But if you insist on keeping the bed, you could dilute white distilled vinegar with water in a spray bottle and spritz the mattress. Don't soak it, just spray it on lightly and allow to dry. I read this in a little book on many uses for vinegar.
Save your money and buy a new mattress.

Best Answer

baking soda and borax should do the trick, but as others have said, best to get a mattress cover.

Best Answer

Put the mattress out in the sun. The sun has ultraviolet rays the kill bacteria that causes smells. I do this regularly with my pillows that I can not wash as they are latex. Pillows smell much nicer after a day in the sun!

Best Answer

Walmart has the mattress covers for $8-$15 bucks, then go to overstock.com and buy yourself a 2inch memory foam topper for under $70. Now your sleeping on a new bed with no smell since the vinyl mattress cover is stopping the funk

Best Answer

I realize I am a little late on this. A very very good vacuuming with a beater bar is first. Then I would go buy an enzyme cleaner (like for cat and dog urine). Spray the mattress good and let it sit for a good 10 minutes. Then blot with towels or if you have a shop vacuum suck it up with that. It that does not do it. Then I highly recommend getting rid of the mattress.

As for the memory foam mattress. I would call the company, especially after only 6 or so months and raise hell. That mattress cost a fortune and I would want them to take care of it.

Good luck!!