Removing Urine Odors From an Air Vent

Category Odors
Cleaning odors from an air vent can be difficult. This is a page about removing urine odors from an air vent.

How do you remove urine smell from a air vent? M son decided to start using the air vent in his room as a urinal. So I don't have to tell you what his room smells like 2 days later.

By dustan lax from Hartwell, GA

Answers

Best Answer

I've had extremely good luck using "OUT!" It's made for removing pet's mess, like cat & dog pee, poo, hairballs, vomit, blood, if this stuff will work for nasty cat urine, then human pee should be a cinch. It even removes blood from clothes. It works with good bacteria & enzymes. It's sold in the pet care area at Walmart & Target. It cost $4.79 at Walmart for a rather large spray bottle and smells lightly of vanilla. You have to keep it wet for the enzymes to work. Just spray it into the area where the urine is & cover with a plastic bag to keep the area wet, then leave it sit from an hour to overnight. The enzymes will do the trick. You may have to do this twice. Don't use bleach or other cleaners at the same time or they will kill the good bacteria & enzymes.

If you can't find OUT!, then any "Enzyme based" pet cleaner will work.

If you apply the OUT twice & still have odor, then you haven't gotten it on to all of the urine. Try it again. You'll simply be amazed at how well this "OUT!" stuff works. I've gotten tons of mail from people here on ThriftyFun that can't believe they actually got rid of nasty pet odors, one letter was from someone who "had a problem with ferret urine around a window for years".

Another thing that works wonderfully and you can use it after the OUT! is Peroxide. Also, you can use Vinegar and water mixed about half & half (or a little weaker). Vinegar removes odors & Peroxide "eats" & fizzes away all organic /natural stains (including dried-on blood, coffee, cocoa, grape juice & red wine).

Best Answer

In most stores like Home Depot, or Sam's they sell a product called Odoband (I hope I spelled that right?). It sounds like it is "Oh-dough-ban". This stuff takes out all kinds of smells. Try it, I am most sure it will work after a couple times.

Best Answer

I am sorry this has happened. Someone used our vent for a potty before we moved into our home. My daughter's room smelled terrible. We had to not only close off the vent, but tape cardboard over the vent.

We finally got the heating and air people to come out. If I had poured a liquid such as vinegar (which I have always used to neutralize potty accidents when sons where potty training), the heating and air people told me that the liquid would disintegrate my duct work. They had to cut a hole into the ceiling (in the basement, below the duct work). Then cut, remove; then replace the duct work. There is an insulation-type material in the duct work that the urine has soaked into. However, more liquid will just eventually eat away at the entire duct work. Good luck with your problem.

Best Answer

Well first I tried vingar. It gave the room a smell of acid urine. Then I tried baking soda, it didn't seem to work at first but a couple of days latter the smell was gone.

Lucky for me we had steel duck work so the urine didn't soak into the fiberglass insulation. Thanks everyone for your help.

Is there anything you can spray into vents to get rid of cat urine smell?

Answers

You can get a product called Nature's Miracle on Amazon or at your local pet shop.

Clean the coils if possible, replace/clean the filter.

It will only temp mask the smells. They will need to be cleaned or replaced.

I love Nature's Miracle and have used it for years. However, it doesn't work in the heater vent.

I have sprayed many times, thinking I have it well saturated and the smell returns the next time the heater comes on.

I have this problem and just solved it...I took the plastic container the wax cubes come in and duct taped one sqaure onto vent and added scented oil...after 1 min the smell was gone!!!

How do I get rid of cat pee in my car vent?

Answers

Mix 3/4 cup of three percent hydrogen peroxide with 1 tsp. of dishwashing liquid in a spray bottle. Spray it down the air vent until half the bottle is empty. Allow all these ingredients to sit for two to three hours. After this amount of time smell the area again and repeat with more baking soda and hydrogen peroxide plus detergent mixture if necessary.

Here is the complete guide:
www.hunker.com/.../how-to-clean-cat-pee-out-of-air-vents

Did this happen inside your car or was this from a cat under your car/hood? Cat or mouse - kinda smell the same.
Cleaning your car vent is nothing like cleaning a house vent as a car vent is difficult to deal with. I would recommend you taking your car to one of the auto parts chain stores (Auto Zone, Advance, NAPA) and let them take a look. Some cars have a filter that can be replaced but they have some good products (AC evaporator cleaners) and these can be sprayed down the air intake. Most of the time someone in the store will be familiar with this problem and can help you quickly.

I did read that someone mixed Dawn with water (ratio?) and poured it down the windshield where the AC intake is and after several treatments it took the smell away. Not sure about that but I would not recommend touching the engine unless you have someone steam clean it.

If the problem is in your carpet (may smell like it is in AC) pour baking soda on carpet and let it sit for an hour or so. Vacuum the carpet and spray with vinegar solution (1 part vinegar to 3 parts water) and mop up or stem clean with same solution.

A lot of people say fungus in the AC system kinda smells like urine and auto mechanics recommend you make sure to shut the ac OFF and let the fan run for a few munites before you shut it down to dry off the evaporator coil.

Here is a good reference:

removeandreplace.com/.../

I only encountered horrible fumes from the car vent because the filter was old and when we changed it that fixed the problem. But, I would also buy the air freshener in the vent after airing it out with the products.

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJune 5, 2014
🌻
📓
🎂