Determining the Value of Vintage Chairs?

Could anyone please help me identify this chair and determine its value if possible? It's been in my family for years, I obtained it when my gran passed away. There is no maker mark at all.

I was going to restore it, but I don't think it's going to happen. I want to sell it, I just want to be fair in my pricing.
Thanks in advance.

Answers

Best Answer

Looking at this chair I want to say it used to be a desk chair that had an issue and a person took it apart and used the frame to create this new chair. They have made the cushions to put on the chair and also put the arm pieces on this chair. I really don't believe this is an antique chair of any kind and it is not easy to establish who has made this chair. If you want to sell this chair I would sell this locally. You can start off by asking 35-50 for this chair and see what a person will offer you. If you really feel this chair is an antique and not what I have said then I would really have it looked at by an antique shop in your area. But the way it looks and the frame that it is sitting on looks like a very old desk chair that a person has made over to not waste the frame of the chair.

Best Answer

G Plan HouseMaster from 1971

Now that we have knowledge of the brand and name it should be much easier to find a current value.
I hope the covering can be cleaned but perhaps it should be done professionally if top value is to be had.

I found a couple of examples of this chair - different type of upholstery - one for sale with footstool (UK).

www.pamono.com/teak-housemaster-chair-footstool...

Also similar with footstool sold (2016 - UK) for $3,068

www.1stdibs.com/.../

Just showing these because they have great information that can partially be used if chair is listed for sale.

This one is listed for sale - restored leather - great information.

www.1stdibs.com/.../

Apparently these chairs are more popular in the UK as information is scarce in the US. Shipping will be high.
But, since these are 'rare' in the US, if someone really likes something, and, has the finances to support it, they will pay a higher amount for the item and pay high shipping cost.

If I had this chair my first move would be to find someone in a high-end upholstery shop and have all of the upholstery cleaned so that it would look fresh and inviting.
Take several very good pictures, write a good description (use parts of listings descriptions - especially measurements), post it for sale on several sites - Facebook Marketplace (nationwide), letgo, offerup, 1stdibs
Any other familiar sites and list it as local pick up or freight shipping (buyer to make arrangements).
Be very careful when listing on eBay as there can be many problems especially if a new seller.
Etsy is good, but, here again, complicated for new sellers.

Starting price could be set high -$3,000 (or best offer) - and leave it sit for a few weeks but if no one inquires or no offers, lower the price and go from there.
These are just suggestions that might help sell chair for a good price.
Some people may be having financial problems right now but there is still a large portion of the public that are well set and can buy whatever they desire.
Hope you have great success..

Answer this Question

15 More Questions

I have 6 chairs (a similar rocking chair too) that match a cherrywood dining room table and hutch that I'm almost certain my dad had custom made. I have re-done the hutch and painted it black (I know, I know... but the wood is so thick it can be sanded 100 more times). I don't believe these chairs were custom made, though I can not find any markings. I think the seat portion is twisted paper. I'm pretty sure they are from the 50s or 60s and in amazing shape.

I genuinely want to keep and use them with the rest of the dining pieces I have. I know I haven't caused any irreversible damaged to the hutch and table by painting it, I don't know if that would be the case with these chairs. I just don't want to be that person who ruined a $500.00 dollar chair. I'd love to hear what you think. Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

I personally think before I did any work on them I would talk with an antique dealer in your area. These could be of value because they are so different and I can't find anything like them online anywhere. I would see some advice from an antique furniture store or even a company that refinishes antique furniture before I went any further.

Answer this Question

Please let me know if you have any idea about the value of this rocking chair.
This in in excellent condition. There is no company name on it.

Thank you.

I got these 4 beautiful Windsor chairs a week ago and would like to get an idea of how much they're worth. I do know they were handmade by a craftsman in Bucks County Philadelphia in 1977 because on the bottom of all four chairs he wrote his name, county, and year that he made them.

Answers

The ones I have seen are $175 and up.

Wow! They are pretty!!! I am partial to almost everything made in my state...except for the sports teams that compete against my Pittsburgh ones :)

On Ebay, I was not able to find an exact match for yours (not knowing the name of the craftsman), but there are some interesting things to note:

In the first link (below) a set FOUR of similar chairs sold for $550 (137.50 each) as part of a live auction...and they were painted (which to us wood purists is a little painful). They are pretty...but still...

www.ebay.com/.../232774373120?hash=item36326f0f00...

Second, if I am reading this right, this auction was to have ONE handmade (now) with a black finish (and the brace feature--which I am not positive, but looks like yours don't have) for $496.

Both auctions you have to factor in shipping which technically increases the "value" slightly as the buyer typically pays that fee.

There are other a number of similar sales on Ebay with a variety of prices (ALWAYS use SOLD auctions as a guide for price, not current listings). To me, this indicates that the style holds a strong value in today's market, which is good news for you if you want to sell them.

For actual value for yours, you may want to check back to eBay or Etsy to find the exact maker's name and a sold piece to see exactly what his pieces fetch in the open market.

Once you are comfortable with a value, if you are selling them...remember most consignment/antique type stores will give you between 1/16 and 1/4 of "retail" (what they will ask).

If you sell on your own, it takes time as people's needs and whims are what dictate the purchase, so choose a venue where you don't have to pay for the listing (like Facebook Marketplace or NextDoor) and keep "bumping" it to the top (which just means going into your ad and making a note it is still available or dropping the price slightly.

They are lovely!! Thanks for sharing them!

There are two gentleman with the same name who may be the craftsman on LinkedIn if you belong to that site. One is a carpenter in near the PA/NY border and one is in central PA (not listed as a craftsman, but it may have been a hobby).

I may be bold, as I am known to contact people and ask if - in this case - if he made the chairs and can give you additional history. I have found that most times (9 out of 10) people will either say sorry not me, or will be very flattered that I reached out to them.

Hope you are able to learn more and get a nice price for them. I wish I had a place for them as they are lovely!

Anonymous

Superb artisan. Made beautiful Delaware Valley ladderbacks. Great carver, too. Last I heard he was in Nashville making and writing music

I have 2 1975 Shelby Williams lounge chairs and I would like to know what they are worth.

Answers

They are at least $150 each. Check listings on eBay for your exact chairs.

Neat pieces! Some people call these mid century modern, but technically that are a little late to be called such....they are more of the style of MCM! Still really cool! Yours look like they are in good shape, which is important since these pieces frequently cracked and got marked up.

The company is still in business which is neat:

www.shelbywilliams.com/.../wood-chairs

To value your chairs, you would need to match a SOLD auction for the exact some chair either on eBay or a furniture auction site.

I don't see any listed that match at the moment, so check back frequently to find an exact match. If you find one in active, watch it until it sells to get your value. (DO NOT use that for value as sellers can ask anything, but value is what someone pays).

Shelby prices are all over the board in prices, which is why it is so important to match your exact chairs to ones that have sold. There are some Shelby's getting over $2,000 a chair...while others fetch as low as $50. You don't want to under or over value your pieces by guestimating until you find an exact sold match.

I know that were I am, the black pieces or the lighter all wood pieces usually fetch more than the orange/rust ones...but it all depends on the market in your area.

Let me know what you find in case I miss it! Thanks!

Anonymous

Thank you very much for your time and insight.

Very nice chairs and looks like the condition is very good so the value should be several hundred dollars but actually selling them may take a long time unless you are really lucky and someone sees them and says "hey, just what I was looking for!".

I received this chair as a gift some time ago and I always though it's very special. It's very heavy, solid wood, and metal or iron.
I would like to get some opinions on its value.

Are these antique arm chairs Chippendale and of what era? What would be their value?

Answers

Chippendale was a company and is a style. So identifying items as original or style can be hard, even for an expert. Here is an article that may help you understand what to look for....but it is not full proof:

www.thesprucecrafts.com/chippendale-style-furniture-148836

I suggest trying a couple of experts at antique dealers you trust. Take the piece if you can vs photos. Hopefully after you have 2-4 good opinions you will know what you have and if you talk to them about insurance value, you will have that info. Retail value is usually lower than insurance value.

Let me know what you learn. I am eager to learn about all furniture styles! Thanks!!

Answer this Question

I have 2 of these chairs, the pads are original. I have had them for 50 years, they were in a doctor's office for years until he retired.

Answer this Question

Does anyone know the marking on this chair? I'm trying to figure out what era and how much this chair is worth. The only marking is this genie lamp-like metal picture.

Thank you!

I have 2 chairs manufactured by Fairfield Furniture. Can someone help me determine their value?

This chair has been hidden away in storage and I came across it the other day. Can anyone tell me anything about please?

Thank you.

Load More
Consumer Advice Collectibles AntiquesMarch 26, 2018
🍀
🌻
🐰
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Determining-the-Value-of-Vintage-Chairs-1.html