Finding the Value of Antique Murphy's Furniture

Category Antiques
The Murphy family manufactured cedar chests and wardrobes from 1946 - the early 2000s. These great pieces can still be found for sale today on the net and in antique shops. This is a guide about finding the value of antique Murphy's furniture.

Vintage furniture may have notable value. Finding out this information is useful for restoration plans or future sale. Finding the value of a Murphy rocking chair.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about finding the value of a Murphy wardrobes and armoires. These clothes storage cabinets can be a nice piece of bedroom furniture, and valuable to the right person.

This is a guide about finding the value of Murphy chairs. The Murphy furniture company manufactured cedar chests, chairs, and wardrobes from the mid 1940s through the early 2000s.

These collectible pieces can still be found today.

This is a guide about finding the value of a Murphy cedar chest. Antique and vintage furniture has not only sentimental value, but sometimes monetary value as well.

I have a 4 drawer chest of drawers that is made out of cedar, it looks like red cedar to me. The back of it says: MURPHY 151 NSM. The measurements are: 42"H x 32"W x 18"D. It's missing 2 of the drawers, and the other 2 drawers are being used by a friend at the moment, but I was thinking of hiring someone to make the 2 missing drawers because it's a very nice looking piece of furniture, although it does need some refinishing.

Is there any way you could give me some kind of estimate (in a format of, "between this amount and this amount, most likely"). Any information would be very helpful. Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

This would be a valuable piece of furniture if it was in very good condition and had all four drawers but everything that is not original (even refinishing) will reduce the overall value.

• It will be very difficult for someone to match the wood to make new drawers and I believe you will find that - if you find a skilled cabinet maker - it will probably cost over $100 to have the drawers made.
  • Ad

• The finish will be difficult because this is not new wood and new drawers would have to be "aged" to match the other parts of the chest.
  • If you are able to get a decent set of drawers made (and the rest of the chest is in very good condition) you could ask $300-$400.
  • If you plan to sell, you should list it on your local Craigslist and start the price at $400 - reduce the price if you do not receive any inquires.
  • Listing it locally means the interested person could inspect the chest and there would be no shipping involved.
  • Truthfully. seeing the condition and the missing drawers, I would suggest you either use it yourself or maybe a family member needs a nice chest like this.
  • You could always use the 2 drawers at the bottom and make some minor changes and use the top 2 drawer "spaces" as shelves for folded clothing (especially sweaters). Maybe even make them into slide out shelves.
  • Ad

• Who knows - this conversion may sell better than "made-to-match" drawers.

I am looking for information on when the Murphy 86 school desk was manufactured and sold. I have one that was in an old schoolhouse.

Answers

I have an old school desk but could never find out very much about it so my answer may not help you very much.

There are several style/kinds of old school desks (as you will find if you just Google "old/vintage/antique school desks") and since you did not submit a photo it seems you may have to do some research yourself.

I cannot find a brand/name on my desk so at least you have that much. There are some desks up for sale on eBay so you may be able to find one like yours or at least get some info on value of this type of item.

I also had a web site from my original search that may help:

http://www.antiquedesks.org.uk/

http://www.ebay  tage-school-desk

http://www.ebay  ique-school-desk

I have a table and four chairs. The markings say Murphy 336. Can you tell me how much it is worth? It has two leaves and also the sides flip down.

Answers

Antique furniture value relies heavily on original finish, current condition, location, quality etc. You can contact antique dealers in your area, online antique appraisers, etc., for possible values. For example, EBay currently has a Murphy office chair for $95.00.

I have a Murphy 202 4/6 bedroom suite, including head and foot board, dresser, a mirrored chest drawers, and 2 night stands. How much is it worth?

By Sounal

Answers

I dont have an answer. I have the same bed and would like to know its value also. Is there someone out there who knows?

I have a round Queen Ann table with 3 leaves and four chairs. No. 7394 made by the Murphy Chair Co. of Detroit, Mich. Can you tell me the date they were made and value?

By Charlie F.

What is the value of a Murphy cedar bed frame #202-4/6?

By Bowling

I'm trying to find out how old a cedar bed is that was made by Murphy with the numbers on the back 4204-5/0-4/6.

By pam from Crawfordville, FL