Finding the Value of a Murphy Rocking Chair

Category Antiques
Vintage furniture may have notable value. Finding out this information is useful for restoration plans or future sale. Finding the value of a Murphy rocking chair.

I have a Murphy rocking chair #109 made in Detroit. I cannot find any information on this. I have been told this is my great great grandmother's. Can you help?

Answers

This one was made in the 1920s. They are asking $200. www.ebay.com/.../322369883222?hash=item4b0ebe0c56...

Hi,

Your chair is so beautiful! I just wanted to remark on how lovely it is.

Blessings,

Robyn

Thank you

I call this style a nursing rocker or slipper rocker. The photo is bit dark, but it looks lovely.

If you are asking because you want to sell it, I see a lot of them for sale, but none selling, which is sad.

Asking prices go from $50 to $300. Asking price is not a value--it is what the seller wants for it.

I believe this to be the same company that was in Detroit--this link has their history:

murphychaircompany.com/

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you!

I have a small rocker #5305 from Murphy Chair Co. in Detroit Michigan. I am looking for the value.

Answers

I saw two on eBay. One was $150 and the other was $200. Keep in mind that these are the asking prices.

I see one on Etsy for $150

Value of Murphy rocking chair.

Step 1
Instappraisal is a website which has a page giving general information on the company, as well as having a forum for the exchange of information between collectors.

Step 2
The Antique Shop website has a forum for the exchange of information between collectors, and discussions on Murphy chairs.

Step 3
Genuine Murphy pieces carry a black label on the base of each chair. The logo reads Murphy in white on a black background.

Step 4
I saw a wicker child's rocker on E-Bay for 290.00.

I have a Murphy rocking chair #5305 Very good condition. It has no arms and has a cane seat. I always thought it as a ladies sewing rocker. Is it possible to get a price?

Anonymous

I do believe my rocker #5305 is a Ladies sewing Rocker. The label under the seat is from Detroit Mich. It is in great condition and wondering what the asking price is . Thank you Norma Socia

My wife's family has had this chair for a long time - maybe since it was purchased new. The label on the bottom says, Murphy Chair Co.

No. 735 Detroit Michigan. You can see it has some damage. Any idea of it's age and it's value in this condition?

I am interested in finding the value of a Murphy rocker #557.

Answers

www.ebay.com/.../322369883222?hash=item4b0ebe0c56... one is asking $200.

I'm not sure but this looks like it may be a chair located at "yard sale" so our answers may not be of any help.

It takes research to find the value of almost anything and "immediate" response is not what this site is about but hopefully you decided to purchase the chair and now have it home with you.
If that is the case then someone's answer may be of benefit to you.

If you are thinking about a "quick" sale then you can probably list it for $50-$75 and sell it within a few months.

The chair that is for sale on eBay is nothing even similar to this chair so it is not a good comparison.
But just as information; this seller has had this listed/relisted for almost 2 years and it has not sold.

www.ebay.com/.../322369883222?hash=item4b0ebe0c56...

There is a lot of information on Google about Murphy chairs and Murphy Chair Company but I do not think you are interested in the company history.

I will say that a lot of people think the Murphy Chair Company is the same company that made cedar chests and other furniture but these are 2 different companies and have nothing to do with each other.

The Murphy Chair Company only made chairs (and tables for a short while) but just chairs in 2 different locations.
They have stated they would open again in 2018 and then stated again for 2019 but I'm not sure they have - or will - reopen as their web site just goes in circles and the "appraisal" site they show is for Baraby's and has nothing to do with the company.

Here is a link if you wish to check it out.

murphychaircompany.com/

murphychaircompany.com/.../

www.facebook.com/.../?ref=page_internal

If you want a true appraisal then you can check out this site.

www.barnebys.com/.../

antiques.lovetoknow.com/Free_Antique_Appraisals_Online

Looks like they were asking $45, which is about what they retail for around where I am if pristine. This one looks far from pristine, so I am thinking a fair offer for it would be $25 or $30. This is not a chair that would give you a good flip value, unless you are in a place where these are super in demand and low supply. Then you may get $50.

I'm just wondering if I could just find out the value of my rocking chair. It is a Murphy 677 from the 1800s.

Answers

This one, made in the 1920s, is asking $200. Yours is probably worth a bit more.

I am always of the mind that the value is what someone will pay for an item. It isn't necessarily what is listed on a book or what a non exact (but similar item sells for). It is the value of what someone will give you for your EXACT item, in your EXACT condition.

You can set up a watch on the link Judy gave and see if it sells and for how much (even though it is a different year). The challenges are:

1. if it goes for best offer...which can be anything from one cent to one cent under asking price. Still..it is helpful to watch to see what people actually pay (under the SOLD tab in eBay).

2. as it is not the exact model, you still won't have an apples to apples value for yours. Exact is also based on condition too, so you would need to be honest about the condition yours is in.

I always stress to people apples to apples is critical to valuing items...because there are some like items from different years, where one is valueless and one valuable because of rarity, demand, etc.

You keep checking back to eBay SOLD auctions (and ETSY) and google in general and get an idea of the rarity and value of your exact item in the exact condition.

There is an interesting discussion and history of the maker on these chairs at this link but it does not address value, per se (and sadly the link in the link is broken). They offer appraisals...if you are looking to sell or insure, you may also want to have an appraisal as some folks find it helpful. I have never used this company, so if you have someone local you trust, that is always the best option!

www.collectorsweekly.com/.../191738-1890s-murphys-rocking-chairgrandparent

Hope this gives you some food for thought to setting a value for your lovely!

It is very difficult to date Murphy furniture so I am wondering how you are placing this chair in the 1800? The numbers are low but that does not necessarily mean it was one of the first made.
Do you have some family knowledge about your chair?

• When you are looking for value it is best to always give all information available as "facts" can help with age and what was going on with the company at that time.
  • Condition and any refurbishing is also a good thing to state as these will mean a lot when placing a value on an item.
  • Most sale site listings do not give numbers in there ads as many do not have the actual number on the chairs so when doing research most people have to go by a picture/pictures.
  • There were a lot of plain rocking chairs as well as upholstered ones so without a pictures we cannot tell what type of chair you have (unless someone just happens to list that same number). The company made over a hundred different style chairs and made thousands during their operations so it may be difficult to find an identical one that has recently sold.
  • Auction sites do not always get top dollars for even nice items. Here is an example.
  • www.ebth.com/.../8936443-vintage-murphy-chair-co-wood...
  • If you Google Murphy rocking chair this is what you will see - lots of styles (not all Murphy) but quite a few are Murphy.
  • www.google.com/search?q=antique+murphy+rocking+chair...
  • Here is an interesting article about the company:
  • www.facebook.com/.../?ref=page_internal
  • This link shows contact information and they may actually respond to your inquiry.
  • murphychaircompany.com/.../
  • There are several sites that do free appraisals so you might want to check them out as they should be able to provide you with a lot of information.
  • antiques.lovetoknow.com/Free_Antique_Appraisals_Online
  • Barneby's also does appraisals but they charge $17 (but usually well worth the money).
  • www.barnebys.com/.../

Here is some interesting information about the company from their website:
"Honoring Our Past and Embracing Our Future. The NewOriginal Murphy Chair CompanyWill Again Soon Roar.

The world-renowned Murphy Chair Company will roar back beginning in Spring 2018. For our customers and collectors around the world, you have asked, and we will provide, a repository of all things Murphy Chair Company. As North Americas largest and most iconic brand of chairs in the early 1900s, we are pleased to build upon this heritage."

I have a Murphy #687 rocking chair. What is it worth?

Answers

I'm not sure if this is your chair. The number wasn't posted. It was professionally restored and sold for $475.
www.southwestspiritantiques.com/.../IP922.htm

I have a Murphy 702

I have Murphy sewing rocker # 735 with marking of original Murphy Chair Co. in Detroit. It's in excellent condition. What would be the value?

I purchased a Murphy rocking chair from a garage sale for $20.00. It is stamped Murphy 1941 Owensboro Kentucky 1941 under the arm. What is this valued at, did I get a good find?

Answers

Step 1
I can't find the exact value of your rocking chair.

Step 2
I did see some old listing on eBay and one chair sold for $150 and the other one sold for $200.

Step 3
You did a good job in purchasing this chair for only $20.

Step 4
If you are looking for the exact value of your chair. Here on Thrifty Fun there is a guide for you.

Step 5
In the guide I saw a listing for different antique stores and searching for prices on your furniture.

Step 6
Please visit the site www.thriftyfun.com/tf75936578.tip.html

Step 7
To find out more information.

I have a smaller wooden rocker. I think it is for children. It has a label that say Murphy Chair Company on the left, and Detroit No. 307 Mich. on the right. It has a crest in the middle, black with white print. It is not upholstered. It is all wood. I am looking to find out when it was made, and how much it could be worth.

By Mar-Lene Allen from Auburn, IN

Answers

Small child rocker with stamp in black white writing looks like number 305 what is this worth and when was it made ?

I have a Murphy Chair Co., Detroit rocking chair #612. It is in very good condition. What is it worth?

By Bob S.

I have a rocking chair with a mark on bottom of chair that has a crest with Murphy Chair Company on left side and Detroit 5688 Michigan on the right. How old is it and what's it worth?

By Arland

In These Pages
Consumer Advice Collectibles AntiquesJanuary 22, 2017
🎃