Finding the Value of a Murphy Rocking Chair?

Category Antiques
Vintage furniture may have notable value. Finding out this information is useful for restoration plans or future sale. Finding the value of a Murphy rocking chair.

I have a Murphy rocking chair #759 that was my grandfathers, I believe. It was in his house in Brooklyn, NY and was still their when his daughter Evelyn passed away at the age of 93 that's when I removed the chair. I moved the chair to Michele's (great grand daughter) house in the Hamptons, NY. I took the chair to my new Florida condo in Boynton Beach where it now resides. I was about to refinish or paint it when I noticed its label and number, Murphy #759. And historical value? To me it does. Can you advise more history on this chair?
Thx.

Answers

Best Answer

This is one of the more unusual chairs I have seen with the flat slat and spools and what looks like an applique on the flat part.

Do you know if the art is original or after market? I know people liked to put "rub on" art like that on furniture in the 50s and 60s so it may be after market.

I hope they share their numbering system meaning. It has always been a mystery to me. Some companies use numbers to mean year or lot # or to tell the wood type or the plant or some combination of all of the above. Murphy's system has never been that clear to me how it worked. Hope they share!!

Looking forward to hearing.

As for value, because it is an usual piece, it may fetch more than a run of the mill chair.

Furniture sales however are very regional so it could be from $25 on up to $800.

Depending on supply, demand, and condition.

If you have a furniture reseller in your town you trust, ask him or her to help you value it for your market if you are going to sell it or if you are worried about devaluing if you paint or refinish.

Almost always painting or refinishing will devalue a piece (unless it is a professional restoration refinishing and then if it is a highly sought after piece and then it may increase the value or at least not devalue it as much as if it was left in bad shape).

If you have no intent to sell it, then the "value" is irrelevant. Enjoy your piece and do with it what you wish! Furniture should be loved and enjoyed. Your kids aren't going to get rich on it some day .... there are very few things like that out there any more that are like that, so enjoy it now!!

Post back what you hear!! Thanks for sharing!!

I can not find any information about my rocker. I am interested in knowing the year of manufacture and possibly the value.

Answers

Best Answer

There is a lot of history on the Murphy Chairs online.

From my understanding, the Michigan label makes the chair between 1872 and 1907 when they moved from Detroit to Kentucky.

www.worthpoint.com/.../mark-of-the-week-the-murphy-chair...

As to the value, it really depends on where you are located and the supply and demand for such pieces.

In the US, there is an average asking price of $150 for antique rockers, but since yours has more detail with the frieze on the back you may get more, or if you are in a high supply, low demand area, you may get less.

In today's very uncertain market, my best suggestion is to find a reputable antique dealer who specializes in furniture and get his/her feedback on the market in your town.

If the value in your area is on the high side, you may do better to have a professional seller sell it for you in a shop or auction setting. Even though you split profits with them, you end up with much less hassles and less risk for scam/fraud.

Post back how your sale goes!!

I have a Murphy Rocker #767 in oak, I am looking for an approximate date of manufacture. It has a high back with 6 slats and a solid seat with upholstery (upholstery is not original). I was with my grandfather in 1964 when he purchased it at a garage sale.

Answers

Best Answer

I have found several of these chairs listed online but none of them are the one you are asking about. The cloest date I can find for a chair that is 735 it was made in the 1950s. I hope this can get you started. The Murphy company has a website and on the site they say it is possible to contact them to get the value or information about your item. You might want to check there. Maybe someone else can give you more information than this to help you out.

I found this great chair, but haven't been able to find too much info.

Thanks!

Answers

Best Answer

I researched this chair for another poster to Thrifty Fun in November. Here is a link to the answer:

www.thriftyfun.com/Value-and-Age-of-a-Murphy-711-Rocking...

I hope my post (and those of the others) helps you. Lovely piece!!

I have a Murphy rocking chair #109 made in Detroit. I cannot find any information on this. I have been told this is my great great grandmother's. Can you help?

Answers

This one was made in the 1920s. They are asking $200. www.ebay.com/.../322369883222?hash=item4b0ebe0c56...

I have a small rocker #5305 from Murphy Chair Co. in Detroit Michigan. I am looking for the value.

Answers

I saw two on eBay. One was $150 and the other was $200. Keep in mind that these are the asking prices.

I see one on Etsy for $150

Value of Murphy rocking chair.

Step 1
Instappraisal is a website which has a page giving general information on the company, as well as having a forum for the exchange of information between collectors.

Step 2
The Antique Shop website has a forum for the exchange of information between collectors, and discussions on Murphy chairs.

Step 3
Genuine Murphy pieces carry a black label on the base of each chair. The logo reads Murphy in white on a black background.

Step 4
I saw a wicker child's rocker on E-Bay for 290.00.

I have a Murphy rocking chair #5305 Very good condition. It has no arms and has a cane seat. I always thought it as a ladies sewing rocker. Is it possible to get a price?

Anonymous

I do believe my rocker #5305 is a Ladies sewing Rocker. The label under the seat is from Detroit Mich. It is in great condition and wondering what the asking price is . Thank you Norma Socia

My wife's family has had this chair for a long time - maybe since it was purchased new. The label on the bottom says, Murphy Chair Co. No. 735 Detroit Michigan. You can see it has some damage. Any idea of it's age and it's value in this condition?

I have a Murphy 711 rocking chair. Do you know when this was made and approximate value?
Thank you.

I am interested in finding the value of a Murphy rocker #557.

I'm just wondering if I could just find out the value of my rocking chair. It is a Murphy 677 from the 1800s.

Answers

This one, made in the 1920s, is asking $200. Yours is probably worth a bit more.

www.ebay.com/.../322369883222?hash=item4b0ebe0c56...

I am always of the mind that the value is what someone will pay for an item. It isn't necessarily what is listed on a book or what a non exact (but similar item sells for). It is the value of what someone will give you for your EXACT item, in your EXACT condition.

You can set up a watch on the link Judy gave and see if it sells and for how much (even though it is a different year). The challenges are:

1. if it goes for best offer...which can be anything from one cent to one cent under asking price. Still..it is helpful to watch to see what people actually pay (under the SOLD tab in eBay).

2. as it is not the exact model, you still won't have an apples to apples value for yours. Exact is also based on condition too, so you would need to be honest about the condition yours is in.

I always stress to people apples to apples is critical to valuing items...because there are some like items from different years, where one is valueless and one valuable because of rarity, demand, etc.

You keep checking back to eBay SOLD auctions (and ETSY) and google in general and get an idea of the rarity and value of your exact item in the exact condition.

There is an interesting discussion and history of the maker on these chairs at this link but it does not address value, per se (and sadly the link in the link is broken). They offer appraisals...if you are looking to sell or insure, you may also want to have an appraisal as some folks find it helpful. I have never used this company, so if you have someone local you trust, that is always the best option!

www.collectorsweekly.com/.../191738-1890s-murphys-rocking-chairgrandparent

Hope this gives you some food for thought to setting a value for your lovely!

I have a Murphy #687 rocking chair. What is it worth?

Answers

I'm not sure if this is your chair. The number wasn't posted. It was professionally restored and sold for $475.
www.southwestspiritantiques.com/.../IP922.htm

I have a Murphy 702

I have Murphy sewing rocker # 735 with marking of original Murphy Chair Co. in Detroit. It's in excellent condition. What would be the value?

I purchased a Murphy rocking chair from a garage sale for $20.00. It is stamped Murphy 1941 Owensboro Kentucky 1941 under the arm. What is this valued at, did I get a good find?

Answers

Step 1
I can't find the exact value of your rocking chair.

Step 2
I did see some old listing on eBay and one chair sold for $150 and the other one sold for $200.

Step 3
You did a good job in purchasing this chair for only $20.

Step 4
If you are looking for the exact value of your chair. Here on Thrifty Fun there is a guide for you.

Step 5
In the guide I saw a listing for different antique stores and searching for prices on your furniture.

Step 6
Please visit the site www.thriftyfun.com/tf75936578.tip.html

Step 7
To find out more information.

I have a smaller wooden rocker. I think it is for children. It has a label that say Murphy Chair Company on the left, and Detroit No. 307 Mich. on the right. It has a crest in the middle, black with white print. It is not upholstered. It is all wood. I am looking to find out when it was made, and how much it could be worth.

By Mar-Lene Allen from Auburn, IN

Answers

Small child rocker with stamp in black white writing looks like number 305 what is this worth and when was it made ?

I have a Murphy Chair Co., Detroit rocking chair #612. It is in very good condition. What is it worth?

By Bob S.

Load More

In These Pages
Consumer Advice Collectibles AntiquesJanuary 22, 2017
🐛
🌻
😷
😎
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Finding-the-Value-of-a-Murphy-Rocking-Chair.html