Finding the Value of a Murphy Rocking Chair

Category Antiques
Vintage furniture may have notable value. Finding out this information is useful for restoration plans or future sale. Finding the value of a Murphy rocking chair.

I have a small rocker #5305 from Murphy Chair Co. in Detroit Michigan. I am looking for the value.

Answers

I saw two on eBay. One was $150 and the other was $200. Keep in mind that these are the asking prices.

I see one on Etsy for $150

Value of Murphy rocking chair.

Step 1
Instappraisal is a website which has a page giving general information on the company, as well as having a forum for the exchange of information between collectors.

Step 2
The Antique Shop website has a forum for the exchange of information between collectors, and discussions on Murphy chairs.

Step 3
Genuine Murphy pieces carry a black label on the base of each chair. The logo reads Murphy in white on a black background.

Step 4
I saw a wicker child's rocker on E-Bay for 290.00.

I have a Murphy rocking chair #5305 Very good condition. It has no arms and has a cane seat. I always thought it as a ladies sewing rocker. Is it possible to get a price?

Anonymous

I do believe my rocker #5305 is a Ladies sewing Rocker. The label under the seat is from Detroit Mich. It is in great condition and wondering what the asking price is . Thank you Norma Socia

I'm just wondering if I could just find out the value of my rocking chair. It is a Murphy 677 from the 1800s.

Answers

This one, made in the 1920s, is asking $200. Yours is probably worth a bit more.

www.ebay.com/.../322369883222?hash=item4b0ebe0c56...

I am always of the mind that the value is what someone will pay for an item. It isn't necessarily what is listed on a book or what a non exact (but similar item sells for). It is the value of what someone will give you for your EXACT item, in your EXACT condition.

You can set up a watch on the link Judy gave and see if it sells and for how much (even though it is a different year). The challenges are:

1. if it goes for best offer...which can be anything from one cent to one cent under asking price. Still..it is helpful to watch to see what people actually pay (under the SOLD tab in eBay).

2. as it is not the exact model, you still won't have an apples to apples value for yours. Exact is also based on condition too, so you would need to be honest about the condition yours is in.

I always stress to people apples to apples is critical to valuing items...because there are some like items from different years, where one is valueless and one valuable because of rarity, demand, etc.

You keep checking back to eBay SOLD auctions (and ETSY) and google in general and get an idea of the rarity and value of your exact item in the exact condition.

There is an interesting discussion and history of the maker on these chairs at this link but it does not address value, per se (and sadly the link in the link is broken). They offer appraisals...if you are looking to sell or insure, you may also want to have an appraisal as some folks find it helpful. I have never used this company, so if you have someone local you trust, that is always the best option!

www.collectorsweekly.com/.../191738-1890s-murphys-rocking-chairgrandparent

Hope this gives you some food for thought to setting a value for your lovely!

It is very difficult to date Murphy furniture so I am wondering how you are placing this chair in the 1800? The numbers are low but that does not necessarily mean it was one of the first made.
Do you have some family knowledge about your chair?

• When you are looking for value it is best to always give all information available as "facts" can help with age and what was going on with the company at that time.
  • Condition and any refurbishing is also a good thing to state as these will mean a lot when placing a value on an item.
  • Most sale site listings do not give numbers in there ads as many do not have the actual number on the chairs so when doing research most people have to go by a picture/pictures.
  • Ad

• There were a lot of plain rocking chairs as well as upholstered ones so without a pictures we cannot tell what type of chair you have (unless someone just happens to list that same number). The company made over a hundred different style chairs and made thousands during their operations so it may be difficult to find an identical one that has recently sold.
  • Auction sites do not always get top dollars for even nice items. Here is an example.
  • www.ebth.com/.../8936443-vintage-murphy-chair-co-wood...
  • If you Google Murphy rocking chair this is what you will see - lots of styles (not all Murphy) but quite a few are Murphy.
  • www.google.com/search?q=antique+murphy+rocking+chair...
  • Here is an interesting article about the company:
  • www.facebook.com/.../?ref=page_internal
  • This link shows contact information and they may actually respond to your inquiry.
  • murphychaircompany.com/.../
  • There are several sites that do free appraisals so you might want to check them out as they should be able to provide you with a lot of information.
  • antiques.lovetoknow.com/Free_Antique_Appraisals_Online
  • Barneby's also does appraisals but they charge $17 (but usually well worth the money).
  • www.barnebys.com/.../

Here is some interesting information about the company from their website:
"Honoring Our Past and Embracing Our Future. The NewOriginal Murphy Chair CompanyWill Again Soon Roar.

The world-renowned Murphy Chair Company will roar back beginning in Spring 2018. For our customers and collectors around the world, you have asked, and we will provide, a repository of all things Murphy Chair Company. As North Americas largest and most iconic brand of chairs in the early 1900s, we are pleased to build upon this heritage."

I have a Murphy #687 rocking chair. What is it worth?

Answers

I'm not sure if this is your chair. The number wasn't posted. It was professionally restored and sold for $475.
https://www.sou  napage/IP922.htm

I have a Murphy 702

I purchased a Murphy rocking chair from a garage sale for $20.00. It is stamped Murphy 1941 Owensboro Kentucky 1941 under the arm. What is this valued at, did I get a good find?

Answers

Step 1
I can't find the exact value of your rocking chair.

Step 2
I did see some old listing on eBay and one chair sold for $150 and the other one sold for $200.

Step 3
You did a good job in purchasing this chair for only $20.

Step 4
If you are looking for the exact value of your chair. Here on Thrifty Fun there is a guide for you.

Step 5
In the guide I saw a listing for different antique stores and searching for prices on your furniture.

Step 6
Please visit the site https://www.thr  5936578.tip.html

Step 7
To find out more information.

I have a smaller wooden rocker. I think it is for children. It has a label that say Murphy Chair Company on the left, and Detroit No. 307 Mich. on the right. It has a crest in the middle, black with white print. It is not upholstered. It is all wood. I am looking to find out when it was made, and how much it could be worth.

By Mar-Lene Allen from Auburn, IN

Answers

Small child rocker with stamp in black white writing looks like number 305 what is this worth and when was it made ?

I have a Murphy Chair Co., Detroit rocking chair #612. It is in very good condition. What is it worth?

By Bob S.

I have a rocking chair with a mark on bottom of chair that has a crest with Murphy Chair Company on left side and Detroit 5688 Michigan on the right. How old is it and what's it worth?

By Arland