Alternative Uses for Elmer's Glue

Elmer's Glue Bottle
A handy paper and wood glue that can be useful for other personal and household applications. This guide contains alternative uses for Elmer's glue.

Elmer's Glue is great for removing splinters and blackheads around your nose! Just put the glue on thick without diluting it. When it's dry, just peel it off. Out comes the splinter, and out comes the blackheads. Much cheaper than those 'Biore' strips!

By Jackie S.

If you have ever gotten a cactus splinter on any part of your hands, arms, etc. then you should just put some Elmer's Glue on it, let the Glue dry and peel it off and the cactus spines will come with it.

Be careful using the glue on your face. It hurt badly when I pulled it off. It ripped out my tiny face hair out.

This does work, but I am just curious.....how did you get those splinters around your nose in the first place? LOL

I'm going to try it! Maybe I can save by not buying Nair as well as the Biore strips!

Thanks for the great idea

It also works fantastically for dramatic hairstyles. When I was in college I was rockin' a rather large purple and pink mohawk. I used Elmer's glue and spray strach to hold all two feet of it up! It also worked well making spikes in friends shorter hair and was alot cheaper than gel and could be used with food coloring to make a temporary color gel.

I'm going to try the elmers glue to put my hair in spikes. Does it come out easy?

Hey, I wouldn't put elmers in your hair man, it will eventually make your hair fall out!

Does anyone know of a british quivelant to Elmer's glue? I have a mohican and would like to save money on gel =] would PVA work for example?

Where can I buy Elmer's Glue from?

Editor's Note You can find it at most every grocery, drug or variety store in the US. It is a white paper and wood glue.

Elmer's glue is brillant.

It's actually much less toxic than 99.999% of hair sprays, gels, fixatives. No fumes, no freaky volatile chemicals, no flammable, cell-damaging, liver-taxing, lung-clogging particulate.

And NO, there is nothing about Elmer's Glue that would make one's "hair fall out" if used with a modicum of sense. If anything, it is so much LESS likely to damage the roots, or the hair, than pricey hair products.

Ha. This is a proletarian triumph. Only those attached to the status factor of a pink, shiny bottle of smelly hair spray or gel will miss out. Hahahaha.

I just discovered it clears pores around the nose a million times better than Biore and masques! And it does not DRY the skin! I also discovered that it can be thinned with water to tame a few little stray hairs in that point before the ears, or flyaway bangs... wow. Could it be that I can replace my $30 fixative, my $20 gel, my $29 wax... for $2.99 spent in the Back To School aisle?

And then there's color. And glitter. Just a little, not much. A streak here and there. Of course I will soak it well before washing it out.

A common household paper glue can be used as a facial mask to remove dry skin. This is a guide about use Elmer's glue as a face mask.

Bottle of white glue like Elmer's Glue.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

While glue or school glue is a good choice for many of your craft projects. This is a guide about using white glue in crafts.

White Glue

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about easy ways to stiffen fabric. When working on certain craft projects you will need to stiffen your fabric. There are a number of ways to do this, some expensive and some less so.

Stiff pieces of floral fabric.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is for folks who do puzzles and glue them when they're done. I use regular Elmers white school glue and it does a nice job and it's a lot cheaper then the special puzzle glue you have to buy.

By Joe from Inver Grove Heights, MN

What is the procedure to get a crackle effect on paint using Elmer's glue, or what type of glue do you use?

By Roger G.

1) Coat of glue

2) Coat of paint

3) Final coat of glue

4) After crackle effect happens, coat with krylon paint

I'm sure that I read somewhere that if you mix Elmer's and water you can use it as a sealer for chipboard to seal in smells. It sounds like it would do the job, but I can't remember the mixture (glue to water ratio). Have you heard of this and if so could you give the mixture?

By Kathy W.

I've used Elmer's Glue at a half-half solution to prime small pieces of luan wood cut-outs for painting (holiday decorations), and three parts glue to 1 part water to put a glaze on the finished cut-outs.

You may have to experiment with the type of wood product you're asking about here, but I would try the 3-1 ratio first if all you are doing is sealing the wood to prevent the smell from permeating whatever space you're using it in.

If you are planning on painting, start with the 1-1 mix. That doesn't leave a shiny surface that repels paint applied over the top.

If it is a piece bigger than a foot square, you might want to consider buying a commercially available primer-sealer like Kilz, though. Even cheap Elmer's Glue can be pricey for a large project.