Alternative Uses for Elmer's Glue

A handy paper and wood glue that can be useful for other personal and household applications. This guide contains alternative uses for Elmer's glue.

March 15, 2011 Flag

You're going to think I'm crazy, but this idea really works for beautiful skin! Take plain Elmer's glue (you can buy it at Walmart) and rub it all over your face. Keep away from eyes and mouth. Let dry completely. Gently pull off all of the glue OR use a warm wash cloth and gently scrub it free from your skin. Your skin will feel so soft. Do once or twice a week.

By Jaci from SW MO

I've done this too. But be advised :), that it can also pull out some fine hairs.

Don't know why I never thought of this! You're right, good old (cheap) Elmer's makes a great facial peel. I've never tried it on my face, but I remember its non-toxicity from earliest childhood. Needless to say, I've peeled dead skin from my fingers this way more than once, lol!

October 21, 2005 Flag

A quick easy beauty tip. Paint Elmer's Glue on your face, after it dries peel it off and it removes dead skin.

By Linda from Oceanside, CA

The skin absorbs anything that is put on it. The ingredients in Elmer's is not made to be filtered through the human liver.

While it may be effective in removing dead skin the chemicals are not made for use on the skin.

did not know that, thank goodness I am a Essiac tea drinker which keeps my liver clean. Well, how about scotch tape, I have heard of that removing dead skin fast, would that have chemicals? Sorry to pass this on and not realize it is not a great idea, to look beautiful on the outside but maybe get ill on the inside!

sounds pretty strange to me. no the contents are not made to put on skin, even tho you do crafts with elmers. it still is not graded for the skin.

well, after this i did a search and found out that Elmers glue is not toxic and then I came across uses and more than once it was stated that it was a good facial, so it is confusing, guess it is just as easy to use a facial masque meant for the face. Linda in Oceanside, Ca.

November 10, 2004 Flag

Elmer's Glue is great for removing splinters and blackheads around your nose! Just put the glue on thick without diluting it. When it's dry, just peel it off.

August 17, 2007 Flag

There are many craft fabric stiffeners on the market, but some can be expensive or hard to find. One great cheap, easy alternative is to use a mixture of Elmer's glue (or other white glue) and water, and simply paint it onto your project.

January 20, 2014 Flag

What is the procedure to get a crackle effect on paint using Elmer's glue, or what type of glue do you use?

By Roger G.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

1) Coat of glue

2) Coat of paint

3) Final coat of glue

4) After crackle effect happens, coat with krylon paint

February 1, 2012 Flag

I'm sure that I read somewhere that if you mix Elmer's and water you can use it as a sealer for chipboard to seal in smells. It sounds like it would do the job, but I can't remember the mixture (glue to water ratio). Have you heard of this and if so could you give the mixture?

By Kathy W.

I've used Elmer's Glue at a half-half solution to prime small pieces of luan wood cut-outs for painting (holiday decorations), and three parts glue to 1 part water to put a glaze on the finished cut-outs.

You may have to experiment with the type of wood product you're asking about here, but I would try the 3-1 ratio first if all you are doing is sealing the wood to prevent the smell from permeating whatever space you're using it in.

If you are planning on painting, start with the 1-1 mix. That doesn't leave a shiny surface that repels paint applied over the top.

If it is a piece bigger than a foot square, you might want to consider buying a commercially available primer-sealer like Kilz, though. Even cheap Elmer's Glue can be pricey for a large project.

April 17, 2007 Flag

This is for folks who do puzzles and glue them when they're done. I use regular Elmers white school glue and it does a nice job and it's a lot cheaper then the special puzzle glue you have to buy.

Consumer Advice General AdviceNovember 18, 2013
Canned sweetened milk.
Making Glue With Milk
Double Sided Tape
Uses for Double Sided Tape
White changing table with drawers below.
Uses for a Baby Changing Table
Super Glue
Uses for Super Glue
🎄