Australia Travel Photos and Information

Category Travel
Visiting this English speaking country is a generally safe destination. It's beautiful cities, beaches and diverse environments are unique in the world. This is a guide about Australia travel photos and information.

Travel Tips for Sydney, Australia. Sydney offers something for everyone including families, from urban city to sandy beaches at Bondi Beach, natural escape to the Blue Mountains, plenty of wineries at Hunter Valley and whale watching activities in Port Stephens.

What was Australia called in the olden days?

By Ami from QLD

Best Answer

Australia was originally known as Terra Australis Incognita, a Latin term meaning "Unknown southern land".

After the Dutch visited the western coast in the 1600s, they named the western half of the continent "New Holland". When James Cook charted the eastern coast of Australia some 150 years after the Dutch had already landed in the west, he claimed the eastern half for England, giving it the name "New South Wales".

Best Answer

I did a little research on this when I saw the question. It sounds like there was no one term for the Australian continent given by the indigenous people of the area. Although they are called "aboriginal", that is a blanket term for many different tribes and languages. Also, the languages were also relatively simple, so they probably just referred to it as "the land" in whatever language they were speaking.

Such an interesting place, it's on my bucket list to visit!

Anonymous

New Holland.

But the question is still unanswered. What is the original name of Australia? I mean before the Northern Hemisphere's people arrive and name it. It has to have a name in the native language.

I am planning a trip to Australia in a few months and would like to know what snacks to bring along from the US that I won't find there?

Karen from IL

Best Answer

Australia has very very strict customs - you will probaly not be able to bring any food items into Australia at all.

Check with Australian Customs first to make sure, our fines for not declaring food are very high.

Best Answer

Absolutely! We have a myriad snacks here in Australia chips(potato crisps) chocolate bars galore. ice cream, even some American brand soft cookies.

The only thing I haven't been able to find is Reese's peanut butter cups. Sampled those when visiting my brother in Canada, love 'em! And Yes, customs are VERY strict on food coming in from overseas, so don't risk that fine!

There are plenty of snacks to eat here. I don't think you will find it a problem.

Anonymous

Australia is a country not another planet ;-)

I am sure you will find Australia has chocolate, granola bars, potato chips, nuts, cookies, cheese, etc ;-) Be bold and try all local cuisine items including vegemite, too :-)

If you want snacks to eat on the plane during the long flight over just make sure you don't purchase too many because you might have to throw out any you have remaining at customs when arriving in Australia ...

Enjoy your adventure :-) Sounds fun !!!

This request is for our Australian family. A life long dream of mine has been to visit Australia. I'm sure I won't ever be able to. Would some of you be kind enough to tell me something about the area in which you live? Pictures would be lovely but not necessary.

Thank you so much.
Ellen, from the desert in California

Tell us more. And what does CBD mean?

Oh, CBD is just short for Central Business District (the city itself)

Our seasons are the the other way around to those in the northern hemisphere, so here it is now summer and currently very hot.Heat is not my favorite thing, so summer is not my favorite season! I love it when the cooler weather comes in April.

I'm not sure what /more' I can tell you as our land is so vast, unless you have a specific state or region you would like to know about?

One name keeps coming to mind. Can someone tell me a little about Alice Springs. Ellen

Hi Ellen,

I live in Brisbane in Queensland. Here is a good site to look at for some insight:

http://www.sunz  ne/2attract.html

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Here is a photo I took of a place called "The Pinnacles" It's in Western Australia, and not far from the coast. It is very unique and beautiful, like an alien landscape. What do you think? ;-)

Hope you enjoy the photo.

By jayfeather from Australia

Comment Like this photo? 28

Trippy. I like. What the heck is it made of?

Reply Like this photo? Yes

This picture was taken in the North-East Australia, in a zoo. Koala is so cute, isn't it?

By Evelin

Comment Like this photo? 9
Anonymous

Very cute. :-) Was it sleeping?

Reply Like this photo? Yes

We came out from afternoon tea at one of the big hotels on the harbour. The setting sun on a winter afternoon made the sky look so lovely behind the Opera House.

Here are some photos of Jugiong Australia, such pretty countryside.

By Linda

Comment Like this photo? 4

Thank you Linda. I've always wanted to see Australia. Your photos only make me want to see more of it. These are so beautiful.

HokeyPoke

Reply Like this photo? Yes

These beautiful sunsets were taken en-route to Perth, Western Australia in the desert. Glorious!

View of Airlie beach and marina

Nothing like embarking a Cruise Liner and visiting a beautiful place like Airlie Beach. This place was made for postcards. Just view the sky the water, boats and plants; a photographers dream location.