Baking With Nuts

Category Baking
Sticky buns with nuts.
A wonderful addition to all kinds of baked desserts and breads is nuts. This guide is about baking with nuts.

I use a lot of nuts for baking. I discovered if I chopped the whole bag of nuts at once and store in a clean coffee container, it saves a lot of time when baking.

By msburny from Cortland, OH

Many recipes call for chopped nuts. It is easy to chop your own in just the amount you need. Here are a few tips. This is a guide about chopping nuts.

A pile of chopped almonds on a white background.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

When using dried fruit or nuts in baking, dust dry flour on the fruit or nuts so that they don't sink to the bottom when it's baked.

By Dorty from SA

If you are planning on baking be sure to buy bulk nuts. You can store any that you don't use in the freezer and you will save a lot of money. In fact, most baking ingredients can be bought in bulk at significant savings and be stored long term either in dry storage or the freezer.

Answers:

Buy Bulk Nuts for Baking

Nuts can go rancid after time. I bought some pecans last year, chopped them and put in a Rubbermaid container thinking it would keep them. Recently, I went to make a salad with them. This brand container didn't keep the nuts from turning, maybe I should have used another brand plastic containers.
So don't assume nuts will keep their flavors, unless you store them in the freezer till shortly before you plan on using them, instead of in the kitchen cabinet, like I did. (04/09/2005)

By badwater

Buy Bulk Nuts for Baking

I buy nuts in bulk all the time but keep them in the freezer. They will keep a long time in an air tight container in the freezer. It's true if you just keep them in the package or a container in the cupboard that they will go rancid.
(04/09/2005)

By Susan from ThriftyFun