Beagle Breed Information and Photos

Category Beagle
Beagle in the grass.
Beagles were originally bred in England as a scent hunting dog. They make good pets, but do require regular exercise and do best with companionship, as they have a strong pack mentality. This is a guide about Beagle breed information and photos.

Breed Description: This sturdy, compact scent hound was bred to pursue its quarry in packs. When on scent, the Beagle has remarkable stamina and tenacity. It will block out everything around it - including its master. The Beagle's charming, upbeat personality makes this breed an excellent family pet.

Group: Hound Group

Purpose of Breed: Hunting rabbits and hares

Country of Origin: England

Average Size: Beagles are typically from 10-16 inches tall. In the United States, Beagles are divided into two distinct heights for competition-under 13 inches tall and from 13 to 15 inches tall. Most Beagles average between 18-30 lbs.

Color(s): The color most people associate with Beagles is white and tan, with a black saddle marking, but they can be any combination of "true hound" colors.

Coat Type: Beagles have a short, shiny, hard coat.

Grooming: Beagles are minimal shedders and their coats are easy to care for. This breed requires standard care for eyes, ears, pads and nails.

Exercise Needs: Beagles need companionship and daily exercise to prevent them from becoming bored. They possess a pack mentality and do not enjoy being left alone for long periods. Because they have a tendency to "follow their nose," they should be exercised on a leash and have a fenced yard. Beagles make good apartment dogs, but they are prone to howling and barking, especially when in pursuit of prey or suffering from boredom.

Temperament: The Beagle has a cheerful disposition and is good with children. Beagles have an independent nature and instinctively always "follow their nose", sometimes ignoring your commands to come back. Early obedience training is recommended.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to glaucoma, epilepsy, intervertebral disc disease and congenital heart disease.

Life Expectancy: Averages 10-15 years

Trivia: The most famous Beagle is perhaps, 'Snoopy", who was first introduced to the public in the 1950s comic strip "Peanuts" created by Charles Shultz.

More Information: National Beagle Clue

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Coco Singh is a 3 month old Beagle. I bought from a pet shop in Khan Market, Delhi, India on February 16th, 2009. Coco likes to grab my socks, run and hide!

She is very naughty, and doesn't stop amazing us with her tricks and the types of faces she makes.

By ssingh from New Delhi

Coco (Beagle)

Comment Like this photo? 19

Baxter is 5 year old Beagle. Baxter was a give away. He likes to run laps in the backyard. Baxter loves his walks and cries if he doesn't get to go.

By Tracy from Matheson, Ontario

Baxter (Beagle)

Comment Like this photo? 11

Bailey is 14 years old and a purebred Beagle. We found Bailey at the Humane Society in Seneca County. My husband and I were going there to volunteer and walk some dogs. I preferred large dogs and my husband liked the smaller dogs.

He found Bailey, a purebred Beagle. They said she had puppies, and all her puppies had just been adopted out. She looked like she was starving her self. Her skin was draped over her small body. We could she her ribs and hip bones protruding under her skin. The littlest noise would scare her, she had no spark in her eyes. She looked like she was waiting to die and they told us she had been rescued from a puppy mill and was abused by men. They guessed her at 5 years old. We couldn't stand by, watching her die, our hearts ached for her and everything she went through. She wasn't a active dog. She enjoyed just being held and petted and loved on. We adopted Bailey along with another young dog that was next to her at the shelter. She is a Rat Terrier/Chiwauwau mix named Dolly.

After a lot of T.L.C. Bailey started putting on a little weight. She got a spark back in her eyes that told us she was happy, perhaps the first time in her life. At feeding time, she started doing, what we called, the Snoopy dance. She'd jump up and down on her back legs just like Snoopy on the cartoons would do. Now she always looked like she was smiling. Her eyes light up, have that spark in them. She brighten up our lives.

The vet said she was most likely closer to 9 years old, than 5, according to her x-rays he did after we took her in for what turned out to be muscle spasm in the back.

God let her be in our lives for only 5 years. The doctor diagnosed liver cancer. We made her as corfortable as possible. She died naturally, in our arms, as she breathed her last breath. She will always be in our hearts.

By V.Toby from OHIO

Bailey - a purebred Beagle

Comment Like this photo? 12

Cooper is a 5 month old Beagle. I was walking my other dog Chompers, and he ran to a bush and started sniffing. I saw what looked like a stuffed animal. I went to look closer and it was a puppy! I took him home, of course.

He likes to chew on everything and run around. He squeaks his chew toys really loudly. He is a handful, and we've only had him a little over a week, but he is a great addition to our fur family!

By Shannon from Lakewood, OH

Beagle puppy standing up against a cat litter box.

Comment Like this photo? 9

Buster is a 6 month old Beagle. A friend of ours had a littler and we were spending the 4th of July with them and came home with a puppy, lol, and a cute one at that. He likes to chase our son, roll around and play, and go for walks.

By Debbie N from Tacoma, WA

Boy holding a beagle puppy.

Comment Like this photo? 9

Daisy is a 2 year old Beagle. She was the runt in a litter that our neighbor had. She was the smallest and feistiest of the group. She loves to run! Daisy loves to play.

Daisy (Beagle)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 12

Queenie is a 6 month old Beagle. My boyfriend went to get her in West Virginia, About a month ago. She likes to play with her animals, and is afraid of everything.

Queenie (Beagle)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 4

A year and a half ago, I saw Doodle's picture on an animal shelter's "adoptable pets" site and immediately fell in love with her. As soon as the shelter worker brought her out, that love intensified and Doodle became a permanent member of our family.

Doodle sitting

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 6

Toby resembles an English Setter and Dusty Beagle is a Beagle. In the photo, they were around 6 months and 10 months old. We rescued Toby from a Craigslist ad and found Dusty at a construction site that my son and I worked at.

Comment Like this photo? 8

Here is my dog, Sir Eatsalot.

Sir Eatsalot (Beagle)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 1

I adopted Jethro from a shelter.

closeup or head

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 7

We rescued her from a local shelter. This was when she was about 8 months old. 

laying on her bed

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 7

I got him from a friend's litter.

Comment Like this photo? 4

My husband found Chopper last summer at a construction site. Chopper had open wounds, major hair loss, and was full of fleas and ticks. After he gobbled up a cookie my husband offered him, we instantly had a new child.

Chopper (Beagle)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

I got her for a birthday 3 years ago.

Beagle looking up at camera.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 5

Lola is 6 weeks in the picture, now she is 4 months. She is a Beagle we purchased for my husband for Father's day. She likes to pester her sisters, a Boxer and a Red Bone Coonhound. She is an angel, except when she's not!

Lola (Beagle)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

Lucy is a 4 month old Beagle. We got her a couple months ago, I had to travel almost 2 hours one way after a storm.

Lucy (Beagle)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Baby is about 3 years old and is a Beagle. She was adopted from an animal shelter in Raleigh, NC. Of course she LOVES us...and she has her favorite chair and crocheted afghan that she pulls down on her when she gets cold.

Baby (Beagle)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Barnaby Frederick Jones is a 9 year old red and white Beagle. A friend and I found him abandoned in the middle of the road, in 2002, in the middle of the night pretty beat up.

Barnaby (Beagle)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 7

Here is a picture of my miniature beagle Jake and his favorite toy at the beach. Jake is a real character. He is fully grown. He thinks he is a person and not a dog. Jake has many neighborhood children who stop in to play catch with him. We call them his "fan club".

Jake (Miniature Beagle)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Molly is a beagle and Eie is a cat. They are both from an animal shelter.

Molly (Beagle)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Spot is 2 months old in the picture. She is a beagle. We went to a farm with our four year old daughter. We then went to see the puppies and told her she could choose one. She was so very happy and because the dog has some spots, she named her Spot. "See Spot run".

Spot (Beagle)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Sadie is a bouncing beautiful Beagle and is approximately 4 1/2 years old. . .

Comment Like this photo? Yes

I got Dora 4 years ago when I saw a pic of her on pet finder. She loves to sniff, play catch and soccer, and likes to throw balls down the hill to me. She also loves her walks and cuddles.

Beagle with front feet on a log

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

John Boy is a 3 year old Beagle. We adopted him from Cedar Bend Humane Society in June of 2007. He likes to get into all sorts of trouble! He shares our home with 2 other beagles, another boy and a girl.

John Boy (Beagle)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 1