Breeding Society Finches

Category Birds
Fledgling Beige Bengalese
Society finches are rivaled only by Zebra finches in their willingness to breed in small cages. This is a guide about breeding Society finches.

My society finches started to breed as soon as I brought them home and ended up with a third beautiful beige finch. Lately I noticed that the parents were pecking and pulling its feathers out. Do I have to separate the baby or can I put another nest in the cage for it?

By Valerie A.

You need to put it in another cage.

I have 2 white and brown Society finches and my female laid eggs. (2 so far). After they hatch, what do I provide for the babies, so the mom can feed them? Also, should I remove the male from the cage?

Thanks for your help.

By Pam B.

When the adult finches eat there own food they will regergate in the babies mouths. In the meantime you can boil an egg and mash it very very fine and feed it to the adults. Make sure it is room temp. After 2 days throw the remains of the egg as it will get sour.

Boil another egg in a couple of days or once a week and feed again to the adults. Cook plain oatmeal, and baby food is good for them. The adults finches will feed their babies until they feel that they can eat on their own. When the female comes out to eat, the male will go and sit on the eggs to help out. He will also feed the babies.

When the babies have hatched they are smaller then a jelly bean. Makes you wonder how something that small can survive. I hope this has helped you some.

We have a male and female Society finch. They have laid 2 batches of eggs now. They take turns sitting, to no avail, the eggs have been infertile both times. We give them fruit and vegetables with their feed, fresh water daily, clean cage, proper nest, and none of the eggs are ever fertile. Why? What do we do? Thank you.

By D Ryall from Tigard, OR

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

I had some zebra finches and had the same problem for a while. I contacted the zebra finch society and they told me to change the type of nest I had in the cage. Still don't understand the difference other than they liked the new one better, but the next thing I knew I had 7 birds! They hatched 5 in one clutch! Don't know if that'll help you or not, but I'd suggest going online and contacting the society finch club. They should be able to help you better than anyone else.

Good luck!