Burnt Smell In a House

Last night my 11 year old daughter forgot to add water to the Easy Mac container. She's home suffering from pneumonia and I was in the shower at the time. Our whole house has the most putrid smell and the microwave reeks so bad.


I put coffee out in bowls around the house, dusted all the rugs with baking soda, and wiped all surfaces down with lemon juice or vinegar. It's still horrible and is making me sick to my stomach. If you have had this happen, how did you finally remedy it? I have company coming in 2 days for Christmas. I need help.

kraft easy mac


Burnt Smell In a House

We accidentally burned beans and it left a horrible smell that smelled up the whole house for days. We tried everything from candles to Air Wicks and Febreeze and nothing worked :( We finally read to boil lemon juice and lemon peels and it worked. (12/25/2008)

By Loulet

Burnt Smell In a House

I did everything. I opened windows and doors for 3 hours at 40 degrees outside. I boiled vinegar in the microwave, and I was able to remove a tinged yellow film from it as a result, then I sprayed a bleach cleaner. I put coffee grounds out in bowls, on all levels of our home even the basement. I baking soda'd the rugs, mopped the hardwoods. I wiped the walls down with a green cleaner. I boiled vanilla on the stove mixed with cinnamon. I could still smell it.


So I put the microwave outside, changed the filters in all the ac/heat units. I burned candles everywhere, and tried the incense. Followed by febreeze. Finally about 48 hours later the smell was gone.

My husband returned the microwave to the kitchen. We left the door of it open for 2 days outside and the minute it came back in the house, I could smell the burnt plastic smell. So I took it out to the garage, where it will stay until I can donate it or give it way if I can get that horrible smell away, and I'm getting a brand new one. (12/26/2008)

By hippiemom8

Burnt Smell In a House

Big fan of lemon juice, or whole lemons and baking soda! Husband does most of the cooking and unfortunately I do all the cleaning, especially hard when he burns stuff.

1. Immediately crack open the kitchen window and put the pan under HOT water (cold water on a hot pan warps/ruins your dishes).


2. Baking soda to the rugs and furniture if it's in close proximity to your kitchen, wait about a half hour and vacuum.

3. Light ANY candle or incense asap, yes we know this is only a cover or mask but it's gonna save you while you're addressing the actual clean up.

4. Wash the dishes with hot water, open window, and 2 lemons cut in quarters, squish gently and put in the sink. Just leave the lemons in the sink while you wash the dishes from dinner's disaster and keep them there overnight.

5. Wake up in the morning and the smell is gone, obviously close windows while you're sleeping...no brainer.

Enjoy your healthy, clean, and odor free home! (01/17/2009)

By chachakathy


Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Article
Burnt Smell in a House
July 21, 2009
Burnt Food
Removing Burnt Food Smell from House
Burnt Cookie Sheet
Cleaning Burnt Cookie Sheets
Removing Burnt Popcorn Smell and Stains from a Microwave
Removing Burnt Popcorn Smell and Stains from a Microwave
Fixing Burnt Sausage
Fixing Burnt Sausage
Halloween Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on October 24, 2016 at 2:39:59 PM on in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.
Loading Something Awesome!