Buying Bulk Spices

Herbs and spices are expensive to buy in grocery stores. I discovered that my local natural food store sells herbs and spices in bulk and it's so much cheaper!

The per pound price will startle you because they are priced by the pound, but herbs/spices are so light that the price ends up being really, really low, since you will only need an ounce or two. I never buy spices at the grocery store anymore!

Check out a local natural foods store near you and save money on your herbs and spices, including catnip for your kitties!

By Sylviecyn from Vermont

This is a great way to save and it also gives you a chance to try new herbs or spice you might not have because of the expense.

The only problem with buying many spices and herbs in bulk is that they deteriorate rapidly. If you don't use a lot of any one type of spice, it is so much better to buy the smaller amount. I do get the whole nutmeg, and you would be surprised at how much less it takes of the freshly grated to achieve the flavor that, say, 1/2 a teaspoon of the already grated takes. The nice thing about that is, you can find the whole nutmeg in almost any grocery stores' spice area. If you are looking for flavor, don't skimp by trying to go cheap, you will just start adding more when you do the same recipe the next time.

November 10, 2009 Flag

My grocery store sells bulk spices which I love because I can buy as little as I want and I find it to be cheaper too. I find that when I buy the packaged spices they go stale before I can use it all up and I end up throwing it out which to me is a big waste of money!

I store the bulk spices in tiny canning/jam jars, write on a label what is inside the jar and stick it to the top of my jar. I put all the little jars in a shoe box and store it in my cupboard. When I need a spice or two I pull out the box and look for it and I can see what is in each jar from the label instead of pulling several out to look at their contents.

By Lisa from Mission, B.C. Canada

Answers:

Buying and Storing Bulk Spices

I store my spices also in jam jars,but I like your idea of using a shoe box and pulling them out of the cupboard. (01/16/2008)

By tamook

Buying and Storing Bulk Spices

I store mine in the fridge, they will keep longer if kept cool. (01/16/2008)

By

Buying and Storing Bulk Spices

I love the marking and shoebox idea, which I am going to do. However,I use the re-sealable sandwich,gallon or snack bags.and store in the freezer and or frig. They last much longer. A hint: spices like parsley or oregano, in clean hands put the amount you want in your hand and it opens them up more.. (01/16/2008)

By keeper60

Buying and Storing Bulk Spices

I have read that all seed type spices, ex. -sesame, poppy, fennel, etc. should be kept refrigerated or for long term storage, in the freezer. This also includes paprika, ground red pepper, chili powder, etc.
(01/17/2008)

By Mike

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Food Tips Herbs and SpicesNovember 10, 2009
dried spices
How Long Do Dried Herbs and Spices Last?
A cutting board with ground spices and fresh spices on it.
Ground Spices vs. Fresh Spices
Adult Diapers
Buying Adult Diapers in Bulk
Buying Food in Bulk
Buying Food in Bulk
🎉
🎄