Buying Bulk Spices

One way to save on your food budget is to buy your spices in bulk. They are available this way from various markets and on-line. This is a guide about buying bulk spices.

Herbs and spices are expensive to buy in grocery stores. I discovered that my local natural food store sells herbs and spices in bulk and it's so much cheaper!

The per pound price will startle you because they are priced by the pound, but herbs/spices are so light that the price ends up being really, really low, since you will only need an ounce or two. I never buy spices at the grocery store anymore!

Check out a local natural foods store near you and save money on your herbs and spices, including catnip for your kitties!

By Cynthia from Vermont

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy spices in bulk?

By pat from Columbus, OH

Answers

We have two health food stores in our area that sell groceries and other health items. They have a very good assortment of herbs and spices and thats where I get most of mine. They are so much cheaper than the grocery store

I found a zipcode for Columbus, Ohio. There is a Costco, the address is as follows:

1500 Gemini Place
Columbus, Ohio
43240

There is also Bj's Wholesale Club, Sam's Club. Give them a call and see if they sell bulk spices. If you aren't a member of one of these clubs, it would probably be worth your while to talk to customer service and see if you can get a complimentary pass to shop in their store at least one time.

I used to be a member of Bj's Wholesale Club and I was able to buy bulk spices. These aren't the small containers, but the restaurant sizes.

Our local Winco sells spices in bulk as well as the Fred Meyer (which is owned by Kroger).

Online also, there is an herb company in SF, CA that is awesome! Just make sure that you use the spices quickly, buying them in bulk saves money but in the long run, your food taste will suffer.

Buying spices and herbs in bulk, sorry to say, is one thing that is not a bargain. Unless, as one person already said, you are using them in a short time.

The flavor, fragrance, etc., Will suffer, as will your enjoyment, and when fresh, normally it does not take a lot to give a satisfactory result. Save everywhere else, not there.

The best I have found is the San Francisco Herb Co. I think their products are superior. Also, the price is right. They have a website: http://www.sfherb.com/

We have two places in Hot Springs that sell spices in bulk. You do not have to buy large amounts. They charge by the ounce. One is a health food store, and the other is a restaurant supply store. I buy cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper, cumin, cream of tartar, and many other spices at a fraction of the grocery store prices. If you must buy larger amounts, just keep a small container in the cupboard, and put the rest in a double paper bag and clip shut and store in the freezer.

Harlean from Arkansas

Penzeys.com sells in bulk up to 8 oz. or 1# or so and I'm sure they'd sell you more if you need. I get unusual and single chile spices from there a couple times a year. Otherwise, I go to my local health food store.

My grocery store sells bulk spices which I love because I can buy as little as I want and I find it to be cheaper too. I find that when I buy the packaged spices they go stale before I can use it all up and I end up throwing it out which to me is a big waste of money!

I store the bulk spices in tiny canning/jam jars, write on a label what is inside the jar and stick it to the top of my jar. I put all the little jars in a shoe box and store it in my cupboard. When I need a spice or two I pull out the box and look for it and I can see what is in each jar from the label instead of pulling several out to look at their contents.

By Lisa from Mission, B.C. Canada

Answers:

Buying and Storing Bulk Spices

I store my spices also in jam jars,but I like your idea of using a shoe box and pulling them out of the cupboard. (01/16/2008)

By Tammy

Buying and Storing Bulk Spices

I store mine in the fridge, they will keep longer if kept cool. (01/16/2008)

By

Buying and Storing Bulk Spices

I love the marking and shoebox idea, which I am going to do. However,I use the re-sealable sandwich,gallon or snack bags.and store in the freezer and or frig. They last much longer. A hint: spices like parsley or oregano, in clean hands put the amount you want in your hand and it opens them up more.. (01/16/2008)

By Keeper

Buying and Storing Bulk Spices

I have read that all seed type spices, ex. -sesame, poppy, fennel, etc. should be kept refrigerated or for long term storage, in the freezer. This also includes paprika, ground red pepper, chili powder, etc.
(01/17/2008)

By Mike

Can someone tell me where to buy yeast, Cream of Tarter and other similar items in bulk?

Beverly in AK

Answers:

Buying Yeast and Spices In Bulk

I don't know your area but around here there are stores that are meant for business that sell to the public as well. There is also Costco. (03/31/2005)

By angie

Buying Yeast and Spices In Bulk

Depending on how much you want to buy, you may want to try an Amish grocery store. That's where I buy yeast, bread flour, spices, etc. for cheap. I've gotten containers (about half the size of a sour cream container) of different spices for less than a dollar. Its amazing. (03/31/2005)

By Amy

Buying Yeast and Spices In Bulk

I'm not sure about Cream of Tartar but at our grocery stores, in the baking department, there are large boxes of yeast. You can buy the big container and break it down into smaller jars and store it in the freezer. It lasts a long time that way and is much cheaper than buying by the packet or even little jar.
Susan from ThriftyFun (03/31/2005)

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel

Buying Yeast and Spices In Bulk

You could try www.atlanticspice.com. (03/31/2005)

By Ela

Buying Yeast and Spices In Bulk

We have WinCo grocery stores in our area (Food4Less is similar and there are other "Sack and Save" type stores in many locales) and they have wonderful bulk bins. I buy all of my spices and baking ingredients out of the bins. Very cheap. (03/31/2005)

By Katie

Buying Yeast and Spices In Bulk

If you don't live near a Sam's or Cosco, try on line at www.mulberrylanefarm.com. Good prices. (02/09/2009)

By Helen