Buying Shoes at Thrift Stores

While thrifty stores have lots of shoes, some in very good condition, for a reasonable price, shoppers often hesitate to buy used shoes. This is a guide about buying shoes at thrift stores.

Shoes at a Thrift Stores
Filter Sort

Question: Buying Shoes at Thrifty Stores and Foot Fungus

By Nancy 9 10

I have started going to thrift stores to shop because of less work. I see people buying really nice looking shoes there, good name brands. How do you try on used shoes and not have to worry about foot fungus and catching it?

By Nancy

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sandi/Poor But Proud 466 2,132 Flag

Some answers were a bit "overzelous" but basically nothing can live without food. In other words, any nasties in shoes, couches, or clothing has to have something to keep it going.

I googled the question and found this lovely site to help.

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110612190104AAFXaQK

I once had a thrift store owner walk up to me and assure me that she washed all here clothes so no one would get AIDS...yes, this was in 1984.

Most people wear their own socks when they try on shoes as they came in with them on...except sandals of course. Then yes, the 3/1.00 Walmart footsies in the little plastic bubbles are a good thing to have with you anyway.

And a good point was made that the clothes you buy new aren't new really, and even if they were, they are used the first time you try them on or wear them too.

I would and do buy anything that saves me money, and once cleaned stop worrying about it. You are more likely to get germs from the shopping cart you put things in than the clothes or shoes you try on.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Are Thrifty Store Shoes Safe to Wear?

By Onesummer 219 17

Is it safe to wear thrift store shoes? Some people have athletic feet and foot fungus. Just curious before I buy.

Onesummer

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By leanne chaisson 44 84 Flag

Anything and everything that you wear is used! Unless you make it yourself, someone has tried it on. I have bought used clothing and footwear for years and have never had a problem. I wash shoes in the washing machine just like everything else. As for the comment by the lady who only buys from catalogs; there are lots of nice larger size clothes in thrift stores, some hardly worn. Save your money and don't buy from Walmart.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Consumer Advice Shopping Apparel & FashionOctober 28, 2012
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Trying on New Shoes
Breaking in New Shoes
Polishing Leather Shoes
Polishing Leather Shoes
Dirty tennis shoes.
Cleaning Tennis Shoes
Man Repairing a Shoe
Repairing Shoes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 6, 2016 at 10:46:23 AM on 10.0.0.181 in 808 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings