Are Thrifty Store Shoes Safe to Wear?

Is it safe to wear thrift store shoes? Some people have athletic feet and foot fungus. Just curious before I buy.

Onesummer

Have been wearing thrift shop shoes for years - I once did have a problem years ago with a pair of plastic boots in the winter - my feet were so cold that I caught something without knowing it, as the fungi didn't act up until my tootsies were warmed up.

Nowadays I put medicated shoepowder (making sure you coat the top of the inside, too) in all such items, and you can even spray them with spray disinfectant, as a friend of mine does.

If you do find there is something there (rarely in my experience) you can use regular anti-fungal cream/spray or even vick's to kill it off. (Leather was skin once, you know...)

I would avoid dubious plastic shoes and take care with athletic shoes and boots, tho...If they are sneakers & you can wash them, DO.

But really, I don't think you have a greater chance of catching something than on a gym flloor or someplace like that...

By kinga (Guest Post)

A squirt of lysol will do the trick(in the shoes) before you wear them.

I have not had any problems wearing them. I am picky what I purchase. Any leather sneakers I buy get washed in the machine with an old towel, warm water, a little bleach and laundry detergent (air dry). I don't buy all-fabric sneakers because they yellow if you launder them. I also only buy if they are as close to new as possible, very little wear inside or out, and leather, usually a well known brand.

I agree with pamphyila in terms of plastic shoes-you can usually buy synthetic shoes new for only a little more than used, sometimes even less if you catch a sale. I wipe any unwashable shoes inside and out with baby wipes, then spray them with antifungal foot spray, let dry; THEN spray them inside with Lysol, let dry. Seems like a lot, but takes only minutes, way less time than treating a fungus on your feet!

I am all for buying in thrift shops, but draw the line at any footwear. My reason is that all feet are not created equal. Different feet, different sizes and shapes.

Anything and everything that you wear is used! Unless you make it yourself, someone has tried it on. I have bought used clothing and footwear for years and have never had a problem.

I wash shoes in the washing machine just like everything else. As for the comment by the lady who only buys from catalogs; there are lots of nice larger size clothes in thrift stores, some hardly worn. Save your money and don't buy from Walmart.