Buying a Hybrid Car

Category Hybrids
Hybrid Car
Hybrid cars are more common on the roads; do your research before choosing the hybrid for you. This is a guide about buying a hybrid car.

I am researching buying a hybrid automobile and thought the best place to get real opinions from people who have them is Thrifty Fun. I'd like to know what you have and what you like or do not like about your hybrid car.

Lynn from Albany, NY

We are now on our third Toyota Prius and like them quite well. Our first was a used one which we traded for a new one that was getting even better gas mileage. Our second one only lasted 72 miles when a distracted teenager plowed into it and totalled it. My husband and son survived just fine due to very good safety features.

Our third one is serving us well now.

Gas mileage is better in summer than in winter due to something to do with cold weather and batteries.

Two negatives--I am a shorter driver and can constantly see the dashboard lights in my line of vision reflected in the front window--it doesn't bother my taller husband. Maybe the newer vehicles don't have this problem. Test drive it at night to see.

The other problem is these are heavy cars and will wear out tires quickly.