Buying a Laptop for a College Student

Defining your computer needs is the first step before buying a laptop. This is a guide about buying a laptop for a college student.

June 25, 2009 Flag

I'm wanting to purchase a laptop computer for my son who just graduated from high school, for his future college needs. What are some basic necessities to look for? And how are the wireless expenditures charged? I am clueless!

By ck384 from Huntingtown, MD

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

HP is a good dependable brand and not too expensive. My husband bought one over the christmas holidays to have for nursing school. He used it during spring semester and loves it! It has a built in wireless card so internet access is very easy. Be sure and get word processing software, such as Microsoft, so your son will be able to type papers and projects on it.

Best Answer

I would definitely involve your son as I am sure he knows exactly what he needs in a laptop and people at Best Buy or other computer stores will talk to you about each feature and allow you to compare prices, etc.

Best Answer

My sons liked Macbooks. You can go to a computer store and talk to the tech guys. They are very helpful.

Apple had tons of discounts and extras that came along with the laptop because my son was enrolled in post-secondary school. This enabled us to buy a really good computer.

What you get depends a lot on what sort of stuff he will need to do on it and your budget.

My laptop is a relatively cheap one, and it's new. I paid $350 for it this past Dec. It's an EEE PC and it works great. It's a 10-inch PC but I don't think it's too small. It only weighs about three pounds, and I love it.

Open Office is an office software program that is free and downloadable from the internet.

Also, Verizon has their mini PC that's a little cheaper (and smaller) than mine and it comes with their 3G network if you're interested in that kind of thing.

Thank you all for your help. My son will definitely be involved in the purchase. I've never purchased a laptop before, and wanted some advice prior to shopping. You all are awesome!

I like hp computers, you can not go wrong with them and they have a good 24/7 support systems, I just want to say all 4 computer I have ever own has all been hp, I broght my 2 daughters a emachine last summer and they were pretty good also. My in-laws have a Gateway and they have had a lot of problem with their system. And if you are going to buy a lap top please buy that extra warrity that they offer.

June 25, 2009 Flag

I need a laptop for college so I can carry it with me. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could find an affordable laptop? I can't afford a new one.
- Emily

Answers:

Laptop for College Student

To locate an inexpensive laptop for college, check the yellow pages of the phone directory for computer stores. Often the smaller stores will sell used computers. Our town has a store that only sells used ones. The company's main business is servicing large corporations and sells the left overs after the corporations upgrade computers. (05/23/2002)

By admin

Laptop for College Student

I have two suggestions for you. First, my husband works for a corporation that likes to keep current on the latest technology. When they upgrade computers or PDAs, they often will sell the older equipment to employees at a reduced rate. The equipment is still good, just maybe not the "latest and greatest". Talk to people you know who might be able to take advantage of a similar opportunity. Second, check out eBay for some great deals on computers and equipment. Just be sure to check the feedback of the seller to make sure you are buying from a reputable source. Good luck! (05/24/2002)

By nicoleellison

Laptop for College Student

Emily, get a copy of Computer Shopper Magazine and look up the True Data Products ad. Maybe they are on the web, I don't know. My brother got one from eBay. Also check Computer Surplus Outlet, they are online. Check Half.com & Overstock.com too. I got my refurbished desktop at PCMall.com. - (05/30/2002)

By admin

Laptop for College Student

Also, a pawn shop is a good place to look. Never know what you might find there. (05/30/2002)

By rachelglogan

Laptop for College Student

Fair warning, watch what you are doing on ebay. Not the site itself but what you are buying. My friend ordered a computer from a place called Bare Bones and that's exactly what it was. She spent more money trying to actually have a working computer. Finally gave up and bought one in our local area. (05/30/2002)

By AZLEADFOOT2

Laptop for College Student

Try ecampus.com. The graphic says they start at $499, but I've seen a few even cheaper than that. If they don't have what you are looking for check back, often they get new stuff in. (06/07/2002)

By admin

Laptop for College Student

Try to look for a Compaq Presario notebook. Those are generally inexpensive. The one I noticed online was about 450 dollars. Not too expensive, compared to the general laptops commonly sold. Hopefully, that helps. (07/28/2007)

By Ryan

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Black laptop on a white background.
Buying a Laptop
Computers BuyingApril 28, 2016
Tea spilling on a laptop computer keyboard.
Protect Your Laptop From Spills
College Student
Gift Ideas for a College Student
Laptop bag made from several pairs of jeans with a crocheted handle.
Making a Laptop Bag from Jeans
Cleaning a Laptop Keyboard, Photo of a laptop keyboard.
Laptop Computer Tips and Tricks
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 11:45:42 AM on 10.0.2.252 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.