Calculating Child Support

We are trying to find out what the percentage for child support is for a father to pay for the 1st child once he remarries and has 2 new children (twins)? We have been told the standard is 20%, but once the children were born, it would go down to 16 or 17%. We are now being told it won't. How are we suppose to provide for the new kids if all the money is going to the 1st child.

By twins from Saginaw, TX

Answers:

Calculating Child Support

That is a problem when you marry a divorced man with kids. It would be no different if his kid was living with you, you would still be supporting the kid. My advice to women is don't marry a man who has to pay child support, unless you are willing to live below the level you would like to. Of course another solution would be for the new wife to get a job and help with the new family's support. (01/04/2010)

By redhatterb

Calculating Child Support

The amount for child support doesn't change because of differences in your life. Whether you have twins, triplets or just one he is still obligated to support his first child from his first marriage.

And it works both ways. If the child support was based on his earnings when he made $40,000 a year the amount won't change if he changed jobs or was promoted making $100,000 a year. Congratulations on twins, but any child is a financial burden. Small cost for the rewards. (01/04/2010)

By Suntydt

Calculating Child Support

I am sure it depends on the state. Good for you that you are doing the right thing. I had a husband who ran and never paid. I had a brother who never missed a payment, even if he went hungry, bought his kids all their school clothes and provided great dental care. Guess who's karma I'd rather have. (01/05/2010)

By PIKKA

Calculating Child Support

In most states, just because the father chooses to start a new family does not lessen his obligation to the child he had before. The only way I know of to change the amount he already pays is to go to court and hash it out, though I doubt the court will have any sympathy for the father as he knew his obligations prior to having the two new children.

Your only other alternative is if the mother of the first child is doing well financially and you are on good terms with her, perhaps she'd agree to reduce the amount voluntarily. I used to be a social worker and it's been my experience that it's very rare that a court would decrease the amount of child support just because the father started a "new" family. (01/05/2010)

By kjablue

Calculating Child Support

Ditto with all that was already said here and calculations are definitely done by the courts.

Not trying to be mean, but you must have known the father of your (assuming to arrive soon) twins already had a child and why should that child's support be reduced and that child suffer because a new family was created with open eyes? Worries about support of the new children should have been considered before their conception :-( (01/08/2010)

By Deeli

Calculating Child Support

In this state the % does not go down because the father remarries and has more children. the % is based on his income and stays that way until the child is 18 years old. If you go through the court system then each time he gets a raise the child support increases a little. I strongly advise going through the court system. I have seen what happens when couples try to do the support money on their own and they end up in a mess. To protect everyone involved go to court! (01/09/2010)

By Teresa Kay

Calculating Child Support

The court pays child support in birth order regardless if he was married to the mother. The courts in San Diego CA told my husband (X now) that it was unfair for his non working X mother of his son to compete with us. He had great income and mine was high so she awarded support on my income also. The X wife mother of his son had a working husband, but that did not come into play. It can be subjective to each judge regardless of the rules. So be glad they are not taking any of your income for this also.
(01/09/2010)

By meoowmom

Calculating Child Support

I live in Florida and this is how it works most of the time when a child is involved.

1. Judge and attorneys decide on % to pay for 1 or more children based on average salary for at least one year to present time. Age of children at time of divorce decides whether wife's income will be considered.

2. If X gets a raise in pay, x-wife can return to court for more money and gets it.

3. New husband for wife does not change anything, his income (generally) is not considered.

4. X-husband remarries, tough luck, as judge will only get mad if you go to court to ask for a reduction for children from 1st marriage.
  5. X-husband's new wife's salary can be counted and will be if trying to reduce pay to 1st wife.

6. Most people are now going back to court to extend payment beyond the 18th birthday for school or whatever?

7. Some families that do or do not go through the court are now able to claim "entitlements" from the state. Some legal and some some not?

8. Children are caught in the middle and through no fault of their own. Support should be freely given, but it should also be used for that child's well being and I believe abuse of support money is where a lot of the problems begin.

9. If you are the 2nd wife then you should have already known about the first child and support money. Please try to understand how you would feel if things were reversed.
Better to open your home and heart to this "other" child or you will live in anger for many years.

(01/10/2010)

By cybergrannie

Child Support Worksheet
Getting Remarried and Child Support
Parenting an Autistic Child, Diamond shaped traffic sign warning, autistic child area.
Parenting an Autistic Child
Writing a child support check.
Paying Back Child Support
child support paperwork
Are Siblings Accountable for Back Child Support?
Child Support Money
Paying Child Support
🎄
🍂