Fruit and BerriesFreezing

Can I Freeze Watermelon?

We bought a watermelon for Memorial Day and have half left. Can we cover it and freeze it? Could we ball it and freeze it? If we do either, will the texture be the same when thawed? Thanks!

By rmagee29 from Slidell, LA

Anonymous

You can indeed freeze watermelon but it will be mushy once thawed. However, it's wonderful to use for slushies, smoothies, etc :-) I would definitely cut it into about one or two inch pieces or use a melon baller and place in freezer bags with as much air removed as possible.

I made that mistake years ago. I put one in the freezer to get cool to eat and forgot it. When I took it out I sat it on my kitchen floor. It just started a nice trail of water going across my kitchen floor as it thawed. I had to toss it.

You can freeze it but it won't be the same thawed.You might think about putting it into a blender first and then freezing it into freezer bags. It will be watery and have plenty of texure but you can use it to make flavored fruit drinks and smoothies and watermelon flavored teas. How about a Watermelon Margarita on a hot day?

The watermelon will be very mushy when thawed and probably not too appetizing. I wouldn't recommend it.

I tried this without much luck. Someone in the produce dept told me to freeze it and use in smoothies. Maybe if I had frozen it in smaller chunks it would have worked. I thawed some later thinking I eat it and it was a mess. I won't be trying it again.

You can freeze the watermelon cut into ice-cube sized chunks (remove pips and rind first). When you want to use it, put it in a food processor with a sliced banana and a small amount of liquid (juice, water, milk or cream), then blend to make a refreshing, healthy soft-serve ice treat. Eat before it has thawed.