Canning Your Leftover Soup

When making homemade vegetable soup, make a huge pot full to save for future meals. Instead of freezing as we usually do for make ahead meals, take the extra time to can your soup in quart jars. Great for a really fast meal. Frozen soup needs to thaw, but with canned, you just pour from the jar and heat and eat, or add a few noodles or dumplings and let it simmer a few minutes. Great for times when you are coming in late from a shopping trip, tired and short on time. Faster than pizza delivery!

By Harlean from Hot Springs, Arkansas

Answers:

Canning Your Leftover Soup

I always make vegetable soup in the crock pot so I have a lot left over. I do save jars from pickles and such . I do not have a way to can the jars correctly. How dangerous would it be just to store them in those jars without proper canning procedures? How long could I store them in the fridge?

Lisa (12/01/2006)

Canning Your Leftover Soup

I'd always wanted to can my homemade soup, but have never gotten around to trying it--freezing was just easier. I've seriously been giving it some consideration, and this topic is pushing me into that direction. Those little cans are so expensive to buy.

In the fridge, soup keeps just as long as anything else, so it must be eaten pretty quickly. No, it wouldn't be safe to store the jars without the proper canning procedures.
(12/02/2006)

By susanmajp

Canning Your Leftover Soup

My friend cans her homemade soup. She says when she's ill and can't cook. It's the fastest thing her hubby can prepare: heating up soup and not feel like all the cooking is on him. (12/02/2006)

By badwater

Canning Homemade Soup
Canning Homemade Soup
Jar of canned papaya balls in syrup.
Canning Papayas
Jar of soup
Canning Soup Containing Cabbage
Mason jar of canned soup
Why Did the Lids Pop on My Canned Soup?
Freshly Canned Pears Near Pears in a Bowl
Canning Pears
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 1:00:23 PM on 10.0.0.241 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.