Caring for Roly Polies (Pill Bugs)

Rolly Pollies (Pill Bug)
Children love roly polies and often what to keep one as a kind of pet. This is a guide about caring for roly polies (pill bugs).

Rolly pollies, also known as pill bugs, aren't insects. They are more alike to the living things such as shrimp, crabs, and lobsters. The pill bugs have exoskeletons and a hard shell.

They need a moist environment, so put a few drops of water in. Put in some rocks or dirt to let the roly pollies hide in. They like to eat lettuce, squash, carrots, apples, cardboard, paper, or a bit of chips. When you are feeding pillbugs don't overfeed them or if you do, the result is dead pollies. If you don't know what to put your rolly pollies in for a home, I will recommend a plastic container with holes poked through. You will have to put in some dirt then put some grass. That will satisfy the pillbugs as they roam around.

What do I feed my pill bugs and what do they drink?

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Anonymous

Pillbugs like to eat rotten fruits and dead plants but also eat carrots , apples, and potatoes .

I recently got four pill bugs and I know that they are nocturnal, but they have been kinda inactive even though all my lights are out and its night time. They have been sitting on the underside of an orange peel like they were when it was morning and only moved to check out the apple I brought them.

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Answers

I dunno... mabye give them some time. My rolypolys were inactive but then they got livid.

I just got about 30 roly pollies, and I put them in a big 10-gallon aquarium filled with dirt and leaves and a little bit of food, 3 lettuce leaves. I was wondering if there is a certain food, I have 3 dogs and a ton of poop, that makes them happier.

Also, how do I tell if a roly polly is pregnant and how long are they pregnant?

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

Actually... When a female is pregnant she will have whiteish/yellow oval shapes in the top half of her body. She will also give birth from the top of her body (chest area). She might not move for a little while after the babies are born, this is just because she is making sure she has a steady stream of breath. DO NOT MOVE HER after the babies are born, wait until most of them have their hard shells or are away from their mother more and more. If you separate them to soon the babies will die and by moving the mother she could also die. The babies are very small so DO NOT handle them until they have shells. Even if you are very careful you can still squash the baby. But females are grey with light brown spots or light brown with really light or white spots, and males are pitch black.

My son's pet rolly polly just had a baby and I don't know what to do. Please help me. I don't want to let them go cuz my son's heart would break.

By Sam from Seattle, WA

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I love pill bugs! Here are some links to information on their care. Also consider looking up caring for a cricket. It might easier to care for a cricket than a roly poly, and crickets if you get the male ones sing as well.

Here is the info on rolly pollies:

http://www.ehow  rolly-polly.html

http://answers.  317154856AAKkqxB

Here is some info on keeping crickets and you can even breed them and sell them to owners of spiders and snakes.

http://www.ehow  cricket-pet.html

I had a cricket as a pet and they are very interesting. I kept mine in a fish aquarium without the water. I watched as it molted and it was very interesting.

I would like to know about keeping a rolly pollie as a pet. I mostly want to know what to feed him. He's in a cage and has a name, I just want to know what to feed them.

Lindsay from Hollister, CA

Answers

do you mean the little insect?? or is there something else i dont know about.

Hi, They eat my vegetable plants, so they must like salad greens. Loretta

I would love to send you some Pill Bugs that keep

coming into my home. Are you keeping them it in an aquariam or? I would think teeny tiny pieces of

bread or just crumbs. Good luck.

Keep the environment like they live in outside--cool, dark, and damp. I'd make sure there was some dirt, some plants, and old food (roly-polys sure like my compost pile) like part of an apple core or lettuce leaves. Remember to keep things damp and/or give a water source. My son used to collect these when he was small.

Just an interesting fact--they're not "bugs" at all. They're actually crustaceans--more closely related to a crab than a ladybug!

Here is a website with the facts that follow:

http://www.bull  tterCriteria.htm

Pill Bug/Sow Bug: Order Isopoda

Appearance: Not more than 3/4 inch long; thorax composed of seven hard overlapping plates with seven pairs of legs; only pillbugs are able to roll up into a ball.

Habits: Prefer moist locations; found under objects on damp ground; mostly nocturnal; sometimes found in basements and ground levels of structures.

Diet: Decaying vegetable matter.

Reproduction: Female gives birth to between 24 and 28 young per brood; usually on e to three generations a year; may live as long as two years.

Other Criteria: Pillbugs and related sowbugs are the only crustaceans that have become completely adapted to living their whole life on land.

The baby pill bug look like dandrif, but they crawl. And are a yellowish white color.

Are they harmful?

my sister use to collect them, they never seemed to live very long. I would feed them the veggies you dont want to eat for supper!

I love Rolly-pollys!

were exactly to pill bugs live outside?

They at live plants vegetables leaves, best to get a bottle cap and fill it with water for it to drink from, and also how to tell a male from a female: the female has tiny pouches in her legs to store eggs and males don't. They also like damp areas I have my own pill bug farm and they're doing fine.

Guess what if a rollie pollie is blue or purpley it is sick. They are dormant in the winter. and breath through gill like things! *le gasp*!

How long do they live?

By John

What do roly-polys eat?

Answers

They eat the organic matter in rotting logs and potting soil. They need to be kept moist but not wet.

Hello, sorry but what are Roly-Poly's please?

<b> Editor's Note </b> The pill bug (also called the wood louse and the roly-poly bug) is a small, segmented land creature that can roll into a tiny ball for protection.

Just as a matter of curiosity; roly-polies are a crustacean, not bugs (even though we still call them bugs!) They are more closely related to shrimp and crabs than bugs! I just thought that was a fun fact when I first learned it!

We call them "sow bugs", although I have no idea why!

I have a hole group of rolly pollies and I want to know what they eat. If you can answer that it would be very nice.

With roly poly reproduction, won't the habitat setup soon be overpopulated? I would want to keep them all.

How do you know if a rolypoly has a stinger? I love roly polies and want to keep away from those with stingers. I want to keep some, but I'm afraid of unknowingly housing one with a stinger.

I'm writing because I don't know how to make a home for rolly pollies and how to feed it. Please help.

Marissa

Well, I think they eat rotting plant matter and like to live in dark moist spots. I often find them near the drainage holes in plant pots that have been outside for the summer.

What are rolly pollies? And if eating rotting plant matter is good! I really don't think they're something I'd want. Ugh.

Here is a website that tells how to find and care for your pill bugs! Good Luck.

http://insected  ona.edu/rear.htm

What are all the colors of rolly pollies?

By Mary F. from Fort Wayne IN

I recently got some pill bugs from my backyard (15) and they then had babies. I need to know what to feed them and how long it takes for them to grow up.

How can you tell if a rolly polly is a girl?

By Taylor

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

If it is a female, it will have a grayish shell, and will have brown dots on both sides. If it is a male, it will have a pitch black shell (With no brown spots on both sides). Hope this answered your question! :)

Do roly polies have to be in a big terrarium or a box or something? I know that they eat paper, cardboard, carrots, lettuce, and squash, but does a habitat need to be bigger in order to have roly babies?

I have one roly poly and I gave it a good home. I gave it cut up pieces of carrots. Is there anything else I should give it?

I am trying to raise rolly pollies, but have no idea how to take care of them. Please help!

By Madeline

I'm doing the same thing you need to give it a pretty dark home but they can survive in light. The prefer it to be cool instead of warm or hot. Keep the habitat moist. Id use a spray bottle and but water in it and spray the habitat daily unless the dirt dries out a lot then spray more often.

I didn't have a spray bottle so I used a water bottle and poked a small hole in the cap with a thumb tack. They eat decaying vegetation like grass picked from the lawn or soft decaying veggies or fruit. You can also give them leaves. In their habitat you put in about an inch or 2 of dirt and then grass and leaves and other decaying things and put a few pieces of bark in there too. I hope that helped.

What do they eat?

By Lois from Dallas

I got 7 pillbug/rolly pollies. I gave them a small slice of watermelon and 1/2 of a grape along with fish flakes and 2 leaf bits. Is that overfeeding, even though there are 7? How do you transport them somewhere else without hurting them? And they're not active at night. Are they dying? Is it because the lights are on? How can you tell a male from a female (girl from boy)?

How would you know if a pillbug is pregnant?

So I own 5 pillbugs and keep them in a cardboard container and people say they eat cardboard. I don't want them to get out. What should I do? And do I keep feeding them bread?

By Cassie M.

Can pill bugs live without water?

By Dhannie Q from Sylmar, CA

How can one tell if a pillbug is happy or content?

By

I am not sure how or why you would need to know this but if it can't be found in google. Chances are no one will be able to help. Sorry.

A pillbug needs: Cool temperatures, a place too hide under (a rock, damp cardboard, wood, etc.) and garbage or compost mixed with dirt to eat. If you lift up the cover and the pillbug is usually active, then it's probably happy. Never let it completely dry out (don't flood it, just a little damp).

What do rolly pollies eat?

By Shane from Chesapeake, VA

Cardboard, leaves, fish food, grass, decaying flesh.

If a Roly Poly is having a baby how do you take care of it?

By Blakely H. from Houston, TX

Answers

Do the same you would do as normal. Water its cage, feed her, but since she is having a baby, feed her more than usual.

Can a role poly live in a container with no sticks or dirt, just grass?

My roly poly has little white spots and is big, but I'm not sure if it pregnant?

What happens if a roly poly has white legs? My friend saved a few with white legs, but I want to know what's wrong with them. I'm really worried because she let them go.

How long do they live?

By Grace J. from Eastvale, CA

Load More