Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Caring for Rolly Pollies (Pill Bugs)

0EmailFollowSave
Rolly Pollies (Pill Bug)

Children love rolly pollies and often what to keep one as a kind of pet. This is a guide about caring for rolly pollies (pill bugs).

Solutions: Caring for Rolly Pollies (Pill Bugs)

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Caring for Rolly Pollies (Pill Bugs)

Rolly pollies, also known as pill bugs, aren't insects. They are more alike to the living things such as shrimp, crabs, and lobsters. The pill bugs have exoskeletons and a hard shell. rally polly

They need a moist environment, so put a few drops of water in. Put in some rocks or dirt to let the roly pollies hide in. They like to eat lettuce, squash, carrots, apples, cardboard, paper, or a bit of chips. When you are feeding pillbugs don't overfeed them or if you do, the result is dead pollies. If you don't know what to put your rolly pollies in for a home, I will recommend a plastic container with holes poked through. You will have to put in some dirt then put some grass. That will satisfy the pillbugs as they roam around.

By casiphia chou [1]

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Caring for Rolly Pollies (Pill Bugs).

Question: Caring for a Rolly Polly Baby

My son's pet rolly polly just had a baby and I don't know what to do. Please help me. I don't want to let them go cuz my son's heart would break.

By Sam from Seattle, WA

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Robyn 373 752 03/11/2013 Flag

I love pill bugs! Here are some links to information on their care. Also consider looking up caring for a cricket. It might easier to care for a cricket than a roly poly, and crickets if you get the male ones sing as well.

Here is the info on rolly pollies:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7643197_care-rolly-polly.html

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080317154856AAKkqxB

Here is some info on keeping crickets and you can even breed them and sell them to owners of spiders and snakes.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5645279_keep-cricket-pet.html

I had a cricket as a pet and they are very interesting. I kept mine in a fish aquarium without the water. I watched as it molted and it was very interesting.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Telling the Gender of a Rolly Polly

How can you tell if a rolly polly is a girl?

By Taylor

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Rolly Polly Lover! 1 05/16/2013 Flag

If it is a female, it will have a grayish shell, and will have brown dots on both sides. If it is a male, it will have a pitch black shell (With no brown spots on both sides). Hope this answered your question! :)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Pet Roly-Poly (Pill Bug)

I would like to know about keeping a rolly pollie as a pet. I mostly want to know what to feed him. He's in a cage and has a name, I just want to know what to feed them.

Lindsay from Hollister, CA

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By emmy 1 11/18/2009 Flag

Guess what if a rollie pollie is blue or purpley it is sick. They are dormant in the winter. and breath through gill like things! *le gasp*!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Caring for Rolly Pollies

I'm writing because I don't know how to make a home for rolly pollies and how to feed it. Please help.

Marissa

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By CleverDaughter 3 06/23/2015 Flag

I made a cage out of cardboard, plastic (for viewing),
    and clear tape. Make sure that the tape isn't sticky in the inside, or it will make them get stuck, and their legs will rip off. My dad owns a mastigator (a kind of juicer), and once it removes all the juice, a cut up, chewed up version of whatever we put in there would come out. Usually, we'd throw it away, but I fed mine to my Pill Bugs, and they LOVED it. If you don't want to do that, your leftover (PLAIN) greens, chopped up would be much appreciated by your little critters.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: What Do Roly-Polys Eat?

What do roly-polys eat?

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Dena Roberts 35 491 07/17/2008 Flag

We call them "sow bugs", although I have no idea why!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Rolly Polly Care

I just got about 30 roly pollies, and I put them in a big 10-gallon aquarium filled with dirt and leaves and a little bit of food, 3 lettuce leaves. I was wondering if there is a certain food, I have 3 dogs and a ton of poop, that makes them happier.

Also, how do I tell if a roly polly is pregnant and how long are they pregnant?

By Midsummerdream [1]

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Brianna O. 2 07/25/2015 Flag

I have a female roly poly and her babies were born yesterday so they're about 12 hours old. She will have a yellow stomach and if you look close enough, you will see eggs. I feed them bread, apple slices, carrots, and grapes and still alive. Hoped this helped...

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Measuring Pill Bug Happiness

How can one tell if a pillbug is happy or content?

By

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 992 09/27/2014 Flag

A pillbug needs: Cool temperatures, a place too hide under (a rock, damp cardboard, wood, etc.) and garbage or compost mixed with dirt to eat. If you lift up the cover and the pillbug is usually active, then it's probably happy. Never let it completely dry out (don't flood it, just a little damp).

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Feeding Rolly Pollies

What do they eat?

By Lois from Dallas

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Dimitri H. 7 02/15/2015 Flag

Cardboard, leaves, fish food, grass, decaying flesh.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Caring for a Pill Bug

How would you know if a pillbug is pregnant?

By Taylorsimone [1]

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By CleverDaughter 3 06/23/2015 Flag

You can tell if a Pill Bug is pregnant by flipping it over, look carefully at the lower half, and if you see yellowish/whitish little figures squirming around, it is pregnant.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Caring for a Rolly Polly

So I own 5 pillbugs and keep them in a cardboard container and people say they eat cardboard. I don't want them to get out. What should I do? And do I keep feeding them bread?

By Cassie M.

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Woodlouse Lover 1 07/01/2015 Flag

If I was you, I would change to a plastic or glass container. I had three but ended up with five. I think I may have picked up two by mistake or one had a baby. I have mine in a plastic box type. U could keep feeding them bread but I would feed them maybe half a strawberry, dried leaf, moldy piece of wood, and if u look at other replies u will find some more.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Rolly Polly Care

Can pill bugs live without water?

By Dhannie Q from Sylmar, CA

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,309 03/13/2015 Flag

In a word no. They must have access to water like all living things on this planet. The site below will help in providing the necessary food, water, etc.:

http://www.pestnet.com/pillbugs/what-do-rollie-pollies-eat/

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Keeping a Rolly Polly as a Pet

How long do they live?

By John

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,309 02/27/2015 Flag

Pill, Sow, Rolly Polly...Bugs live about 2 years in a good environment. Unfortunately for them, other bugs like them. I found an article for keeping them healthy here:

http://www.roseburg.k12.or.us/depts ... ntary/documents/CarolinaCareCard.pdf

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Caring for Rolly Pollies

How long do they live?

By Grace J. from Eastvale, CA

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Taylorsimone 1 2 06/07/2015 Flag

About 2 years judging by the environment its living in.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Caring for a Rolly Polly

What do rolly pollies eat? What do I keep them in? Where should I keep them? What things do they like in their habitat?

By S.M from Perth, WA

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 992 12/12/2014 Flag

They live in dirt or compost. They eat garbage, scraps or leftovers. They prefer a damp, but not really wet, environment and they like to be in the dark. Give them something to hide under.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Best Way to Take Care of a Rollie Pollie

rollie pollie on white granular surfaceI have three rollie pollies in a 6 and 1/4 inch bug cage. I have no idea how to take care of them, we dug dirt and grass, then some leaves, otherwise, I'm totally clueless!

By Maddy W.

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Taylorsimone 1 2 06/07/2015 Flag

If you dug up soil/dirt, make sure you add water to it to make it damp but there's too much water most likely it will drown. Since rolly/Rollie pollies, pill, or sow bugs are decomposers they can eat more then grass like decomposing veggies, plants, sometimes healthy plants, and cardboard. Also add rocks because they like hiding under rocks.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Feeding a Rolly Polly

What do rolly pollies eat?

By Shane from Chesapeake, VA

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By sourskittlekid 1 06/08/2014 Flag

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Raising Rolly Pollies

I am trying to raise rolly pollies, but have no idea how to take care of them. Please help!

By Madeline

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By minecraftgal 1 08/20/2013 Flag

I'm doing the same thing you need to give it a pretty dark home but they can survive in light. The prefer it to be cool instead of warm or hot. Keep the habitat moist. Id use a spray bottle and but water in it and spray the habitat daily unless the dirt dries out a lot then spray more often.

I didn't have a spray bottle so I used a water bottle and poked a small hole in the cap with a thumb tack. They eat decaying vegetation like grass picked from the lawn or soft decaying veggies or fruit. You can also give them leaves. In their habitat you put in about an inch or 2 of dirt and then grass and leaves and other decaying things and put a few pieces of bark in there too. I hope that helped.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Colors of Rolly Pollies

What are all the colors of rolly pollies?

By Mary F. from Fort Wayne IN

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Dimitri H. 7 02/15/2015 Flag

There are 2 main colours. Males are significantly darker, brown, nearly a black colour while the female is grey with brown spots on the sides.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Rollie Pollies and Pickle Juice

What will a rollie pollie do if it smells pickle juice all the time? The container I will keep it in, is a used pickle jar. And it still smells like pickles.

By Savanna

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Barbara Anne 1 4 03/13/2013 Flag

I'm not sure what the outcome would be, but have you tried soaking the jar with Baking Soda overnight to get rid of the odor? Or even might try dropping in a denture tablet to try and get rid of the odor. Not sure if either would work, but would be worth a try. I have tried these and both have gotten rid of odors. Hope it helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Feeding a Rolly Polly

What can you feed a rolly polly?

By Courtney

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Shawty 3 16 04/14/2012 Flag

My little cousin always brings in rolly pollies and goes straight to the fridge. It turns out that rolly pollies eat lettuce chopped up in to really small pieces. ^.^

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Keeping a Roly Poly as a Pet

If they like salad greens and don't live, long should I keep one?

By Kendall

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 992 08/29/2011 Flag

A roly poly likes a shady space with a couple of rocks, a piece of old wood, and some dead leaves. Add a little moisture but don't keep it too wet. Don't worry if the food gets a little old because they kind of like it that way. If you fix it up right, I doubt your bug will even know it's indoors.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Caring for a Roly Poly

If a Roly Poly is having a baby how do you take care of it?

By Blakely H. from Houston, TX

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By lexus S 1 09/17/2013 Flag

Do the same you would do as normal. Water its cage, feed her, but since she is having a baby, feed her more than usual.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Life Cycle of a Roly Poly

How do roly polys develop over time? How do they get the shells on the outside? Recently my daughter and I found a roly poly that was having babies. The babies came out of the top area and the roly poly used her 2 top legs to push out the babies.

They look like little whitish yellow roly polies the size of a flea that move around with legs. She had about 20 babies and just dropped them off to fend for themselves. What happens next?

By Shauna from San Diego, CA

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Lisa 2 656 04/22/2010 Flag

Wow, that's a neat thing to see happen! How did you notice it? (I'm betting it was your daughter who noticed. I know MY daughter takes the time to see those little details, while I'm busy with other things!)

I don't know about their life cycle, but I did a quick search, and maybe these two links will help:

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/su ... ebrates/isopod/Pillbugprintout.shtml

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2072.html

In particular, there is a paragraph in that second link called "Life Cycle and Habits." It will explain what you and your daughter witnessed.

It's cool that you and your daughter got to watch that together. A couple years ago we had a praying mantis camped out on our front storm door. I think it was a good place to catch bugs at night (the porch light comes on when it gets dark). One evening, we got to watch him shed his old skin/exoskeleton. It was really neat, and she still remembers it. Good times! :-)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Pill Bugs as Pets

I just had pill bug babies, but I have way to many to keep in my container. Do they rely on their mommies and daddies when they are little or can they fend for themselves? I have some that are almost full grown, and some that are barely visible because they're so brand new. Please help! Thank you.

By Jacob R [1]

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No