Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Caring for Rolly Pollies (Pill Bugs)

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Rolly Pollies (Pill Bug)

Children love rolly pollies and often what to keep one as a kind of pet. This is a guide about caring for rolly pollies (pill bugs).

Here are questions related to Caring for Rolly Pollies (Pill Bugs).

Question: Caring for a Rolly Polly Baby

My son's pet rolly polly just had a baby and I don't know what to do. Please help me. I don't want to let them go cuz my son's heart would break.

By Sam from Seattle, WA

Most Recent Answer

By Robyn [361]03/11/2013

I love pill bugs! Here are some links to information on their care. Also consider looking up caring for a cricket. It might easier to care for a cricket than a roly poly, and crickets if you get the male ones sing as well.

Here is the info on rolly pollies:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7643197_care-rolly-polly.html

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080317154856AAKkqxB

Here is some info on keeping crickets and you can even breed them and sell them to owners of spiders and snakes.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5645279_keep-cricket-pet.html

I had a cricket as a pet and they are very interesting. I kept mine in a fish aquarium without the water. I watched as it molted and it was very interesting.

Question: Telling the Gender of a Rolly Polly

How can you tell if a rolly polly is a girl?

By Taylor

Most Recent Answer

By Rolly Polly Lover!05/16/2013

If it is a female, it will have a grayish shell, and will have brown dots on both sides. If it is a male, it will have a pitch black shell (With no brown spots on both sides). Hope this answered your question! :)

Question: Measuring Pill Bug Happiness

How can one tell if a pillbug is happy or content?

By

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. [2]09/27/2014

A pillbug needs: Cool temperatures, a place too hide under (a rock, damp cardboard, wood, etc.) and garbage or compost mixed with dirt to eat. If you lift up the cover and the pillbug is usually active, then it's probably happy. Never let it completely dry out (don't flood it, just a little damp).

Question: Best Way to Take Care of a Rollie Pollie

rollie pollie on white granular surfaceI have three rollie pollies in a 6 and 1/4 inch bug cage. I have no idea how to take care of them, we dug dirt and grass, then some leaves, otherwise, I'm totally clueless!

By Maddy W.

Question: Feeding a Rolly Polly

What do rolly pollies eat?

By Shane from Chesapeake, VA

Most Recent Answer

By sourskittlekid06/08/2014

Cardboard, leaves, fish food, grass, decaying flesh.

Question: Raising Rolly Pollies

I am trying to raise rolly pollies, but have no idea how to take care of them. Please help!

By Madeline

Most Recent Answer

By minecraftgal08/20/2013

I'm doing the same thing you need to give it a pretty dark home but they can survive in light. The prefer it to be cool instead of warm or hot. Keep the habitat moist. Id use a spray bottle and but water in it and spray the habitat daily unless the dirt dries out a lot then spray more often.

I didn't have a spray bottle so I used a water bottle and poked a small hole in the cap with a thumb tack. They eat decaying vegetation like grass picked from the lawn or soft decaying veggies or fruit. You can also give them leaves. In their habitat you put in about an inch or 2 of dirt and then grass and leaves and other decaying things and put a few pieces of bark in there too. I hope that helped.

Question: Colors of Rolly Pollies

What are all the colors of rolly pollies?

By Mary F. from Fort Wayne IN

Question: Rollie Pollies and Pickle Juice

What will a rollie pollie do if it smells pickle juice all the time? The container I will keep it in, is a used pickle jar. And it still smells like pickles.

By Savanna

Most Recent Answer

By Barbara Anne03/13/2013

I'm not sure what the outcome would be, but have you tried soaking the jar with Baking Soda overnight to get rid of the odor? Or even might try dropping in a denture tablet to try and get rid of the odor. Not sure if either would work, but would be worth a try. I have tried these and both have gotten rid of odors. Hope it helps.

Question: Feeding a Rolly Polly

What can you feed a rolly polly?

By Courtney

Most Recent Answer

By Shawty [3]04/14/2012

My little cousin always brings in rolly pollies and goes straight to the fridge. It turns out that rolly pollies eat lettuce chopped up in to really small pieces. ^.^

Question: Keeping a Roly Poly as a Pet

If they like salad greens and don't live, long should I keep one?

By Kendall

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. [1]08/29/2011

A roly poly likes a shady space with a couple of rocks, a piece of old wood, and some dead leaves. Add a little moisture but don't keep it too wet. Don't worry if the food gets a little old because they kind of like it that way. If you fix it up right, I doubt your bug will even know it's indoors.

Question: Caring for a Roly Poly

If a Roly Poly is having a baby how do you take care of it?

By Blakely H. from Houston, TX

Most Recent Answer

By lexus S09/17/2013

Do the same you would do as normal. Water its cage, feed her, but since she is having a baby, feed her more than usual.

Question: Caring for Rolly Pollies

I'm writing because I don't know how to make a home for rolly pollies and how to feed it. Please help.

Marissa

Most Recent Answer

By Jammy10/15/2014

Marissa
just get a tank, small reptile habitat cage / tank - put lots of dirt from your yard or mix in some potting soil. A few small rocks - they love to hide under rocks. Some leave, twigs, pieces or bark or wood...
they eat fish Food! ours Loves Beta Fish Beta food! small cut up pieces of apple, brocc. leaf lettuse, carrot, pears... You have to mist the dirt and keep moist
Ours are doing so well we can't count the babies they have had LOL! Have Fun :0)

Question: Life Cycle of a Roly Poly

How do roly polys develop over time? How do they get the shells on the outside? Recently my daughter and I found a roly poly that was having babies. The babies came out of the top area and the roly poly used her 2 top legs to push out the babies.

They look like little whitish yellow roly polies the size of a flea that move around with legs. She had about 20 babies and just dropped them off to fend for themselves. What happens next?

By Shauna from San Diego, CA

Most Recent Answer

By Lisa [2]04/22/2010

Wow, that's a neat thing to see happen! How did you notice it? (I'm betting it was your daughter who noticed. I know MY daughter takes the time to see those little details, while I'm busy with other things!)

I don't know about their life cycle, but I did a quick search, and maybe these two links will help:

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/su ... ebrates/isopod/Pillbugprintout.shtml

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2072.html

In particular, there is a paragraph in that second link called "Life Cycle and Habits." It will explain what you and your daughter witnessed.

It's cool that you and your daughter got to watch that together. A couple years ago we had a praying mantis camped out on our front storm door. I think it was a good place to catch bugs at night (the porch light comes on when it gets dark). One evening, we got to watch him shed his old skin/exoskeleton. It was really neat, and she still remembers it. Good times! :-)

Question: What Do Roly-Polys Eat?

What do roly-polys eat?

Most Recent Answer

By Dena Roberts [31]07/17/2008

We call them "sow bugs", although I have no idea why! Anyone know how to keep them out of the house?

Question: Pet Roly-Poly (Pill Bug)

I would like to know about keeping a rolly pollie as a pet. I mostly want to know what to feed him. He's in a cage and has a name, I just want to know what to feed them.

Lindsay from Hollister, CA

Most Recent Answer

By emmy11/18/2009

Guess what if a rollie pollie is blue or purpley it is sick. They are dormant in the winter. and breath through gill like things! *le gasp*!

RE: Pet Roly-Poly (Pill Bug)

Solutions: Caring for Rolly Pollies (Pill Bugs)

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!