Caring for Roly Polies (Pill Bugs)

Children love roly polies and often what to keep one as a kind of pet. This is a guide about caring for roly polies (pill bugs).

Rolly pollies, also known as pill bugs, aren't insects. They are more alike to the living things such as shrimp, crabs, and lobsters. The pill bugs have exoskeletons and a hard shell.

They need a moist environment, so put a few drops of water in. Put in some rocks or dirt to let the roly pollies hide in. They like to eat lettuce, squash, carrots, apples, cardboard, paper, or a bit of chips. When you are feeding pillbugs don't overfeed them or if you do, the result is dead pollies. If you don't know what to put your rolly pollies in for a home, I will recommend a plastic container with holes poked through. You will have to put in some dirt then put some grass. That will satisfy the pillbugs as they roam around.

I should of had read this. I over fed mine. The next morning... 

I have a hole group of rolly pollies and I want to know what they eat. If you can answer that it would be very nice.

From mom.me:

Roly-polies are detritivores who consume a wide variety of organic material. They primarily consume dead plants or animals, but they will occasionally eat live plants. In captivity, they will thrive on a diet of raw fruit and vegetable slices. Potatoes, carrots, apples and pears are good choices.

With roly poly reproduction, won't the habitat setup soon be overpopulated? I would want to keep them all.

Thank you. I know of a miniature shrimp species who will also not overpopulate their habitat. I will look into it.

Do roly polies have to be in a big terrarium or a box or something? I know that they eat paper, cardboard, carrots, lettuce, and squash, but does a habitat need to be bigger in order to have roly babies?

No they need just enough to hide and sleep

What do I feed my pill bugs and what do they drink?

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Anonymous

Try drink just water and they will eat apples, potatoes and you can even give them fish food they will eat any fruit or vegetable

I recently got four pill bugs and I know that they are nocturnal, but they have been kinda inactive even though all my lights are out and its night time. They have been sitting on the underside of an orange peel like they were when it was morning and only moved to check out the apple I brought them.

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Sometimes they do eat certain vegetables. I keep some in a tank with snails and while they leave most of the vegetables I put in there alone and stick to their rotting twigs most of the time, I have found them going bonkers over celery and carrot.

I just got about 30 roly pollies, and I put them in a big 10-gallon aquarium filled with dirt and leaves and a little bit of food, 3 lettuce leaves. I was wondering if there is a certain food, I have 3 dogs and a ton of poop, that makes them happier.

Also, how do I tell if a roly polly is pregnant and how long are they pregnant?

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Anonymous

Yes that is a pregnant pill bug !

How do you know if a rolypoly has a stinger? I love roly polies and want to keep away from those with stingers. I want to keep some, but I'm afraid of unknowingly housing one with a stinger.

I am 99.9 percent sure that reply pollirs have no stinger.

I have one roly poly and I gave it a good home. I gave it cut up pieces of carrots. Is there anything else I should give it?

Yes, they also eat fish food, lettuce, and all other veggies.Also paper and cardboard.The best things to give them are leaves and carrots.

My son's pet rolly polly just had a baby and I don't know what to do. Please help me. I don't want to let them go cuz my son's heart would break.

By Sam from Seattle, WA

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Anonymous

Feed the rolly polly apples,paper and cardboard

How long do they live?

By John

Anonymous

5 Years

I got 7 pillbug/rolly pollies. I gave them a small slice of watermelon and 1/2 of a grape along with fish flakes and 2 leaf bits. Is that overfeeding, even though there are 7? How do you transport them somewhere else without hurting them? And they're not active at night. Are they dying? Is it because the lights are on? How can you tell a male from a female (girl from boy)?

Thanks! I'll go there right now!!!

Can a role poly live in a container with no sticks or dirt, just grass?

Probably not because pill bugs need a moist place or moist dirt to survive. They absorb the water...

My roly poly has little white spots and is big, but I'm not sure if it pregnant?

If the spots are on her tummy (closer to the head) and they are big. If otherwise, then probably not. All of my roly polies have 2 small spots on their bellies near the rear-end but they aren't pregnant.

What happens if a roly poly has white legs? My friend saved a few with white legs, but I want to know what's wrong with them. I'm really worried because she let them go.

There are thousands of types of pill bugs and all have variations in color and design. Some do have white legs. A pill bug that is blue in color (it's blood is blue and shows in illness) is very sick and probably will not survive. Fortunately, nature has a remedy for sick and dying pill bugs-healthy pill bugs reproduce in the millions, even trillions, so that the species continues on...

How can you tell if a rolly polly is a girl?

By Taylor

Answer Was this helpful? 1

If it is a female, it will have a grayish shell, and will have brown dots on both sides. If it is a male, it will have a pitch black shell (With no brown spots on both sides). Hope this answered your question! :)

How would you know if a pillbug is pregnant?

You can tell if a Pill Bug is pregnant by flipping it over, look carefully at the lower half, and if you see yellowish/whitish little figures squirming around, it is pregnant.

So I own 5 pillbugs and keep them in a cardboard container and people say they eat cardboard. I don't want them to get out. What should I do? And do I keep feeding them bread?

By Cassie M.

If I was you, I would change to a plastic or glass container. I had three but ended up with five. I think I may have picked up two by mistake or one had a baby. I have mine in a plastic box type. U could keep feeding them bread but I would feed them maybe half a strawberry, dried leaf, moldy piece of wood, and if u look at other replies u will find some more.

Can pill bugs live without water?

By Dhannie Q from Sylmar, CA

In a word no. They must have access to water like all living things on this planet. The site below will help in providing the necessary food, water, etc.:

http://www.pest  lie-pollies-eat/

I would like to know about keeping a rolly pollie as a pet. I mostly want to know what to feed him. He's in a cage and has a name, I just want to know what to feed them.

Lindsay from Hollister, CA

they eat old decomposing plant matter, you might give them old carrot tops or orange peels. You can also give them plant matter from outside, they need a rounded diet of fruit, like apple pieces, old leaves or salad fixings, and other plant matter. Hope this helped! :)

I am trying to raise rolly pollies, but have no idea how to take care of them. Please help!

By Madeline

Anonymous

You should get a jar of some sort . [Make sure you have a lid] Then if you have rotting food in your house give them a little piece of the rotting food . Next make sure you have some water in there like put a bottle cap lid and put that with water inside the habitat . Then there you go some tips from me . -Pinkyswirls

What do they eat?

Load More