CatsPets

Cedar Shavings as Kitty Litter Alternative

I was going to do an experiment on cedar shavings and sheets of paper and ripped up strips of paper as an alternative for regular kitty litter.

While cedar shavings are bad for mice and guinea pigs, etc., the high level cedar smell works great for the cat litter box.

I put a couple of pages of an old magazine or newspaper on the very bottom of the litter box. Then I put a lot of the cedar shavings in the box and then I tear strips of magazines and place those on top of the rest of that.
They seem to enjoy this alternative litter which I am using to divert funds from paying for kitty litter so I can provide them a higher quality grain free diet.....in addition to that one of my adult female cats, Caroline, has an allergy to both chicken and beef and turkey. She gets seafood and fish based diet.

This alternative to traditional litter saves me extra money for their diet and supplements, including tumeric.

I tried this but it was more expensive and much messier! Is yours an "Indoor" or a "In and Out" kitty?

If "In and Out", you might want to consider this idea. I bought a bag of 'Playsand' and made one little spot on our very large property for my kitty to use, rather then always use the "Indoor" litter box that I would have to clean and buy litter for.

I walked her out to it one time, and now she goes right outside to it when I let her out! Saves me work and money!

:D

I've been buying this at Lowes for $7.49 for a 2cubic ft. bag for two years, I have 5 cats and it smells better and is way cheaper. There is a little tracking but I keep a small wisk broom and dustpan handy. I pay $15.00/mo for litter for 5 cats.