AdviceGeneral Parenting

Children of Varying Ages Sharing a Bedroom

I was just wondering if I should move my toddler into my tweens room. I am running out of room and will be having another baby soon. Is it OK to do this?

By mc4lifes from Sydney, NSW

My toddler and newborn shared a bedroom from the time the newborn arrived until she was five years old, when she decided the older girl was too messy. By then we had a three bedroom house. A person has to do what they have to do. They also don't have more kids than they feel they have room for or can afford. There is such a thing as birth control. I'm sorry but hardly a week goes by that you don't post a question that implies you are having problems with some of the kids you already have and that you are having a hard time supporting.

My opinion is you would be better off letting the toddler and newborn share a room and let the tweens stay where they are. The tweens are getting to the age they want boundaries and their own "stuff" and would not like to be invaded by another. The toddler is still pretty open minded about "possessions" and has no "territorial" instincts. The toddler and newborn can probably share a room till the toddler reaches the tween stage. Maybe by then one of your older children will be grown up and moving out and you'll have room to integrate.

I would probably put the newborn and the toddler together.

At age 8, I shared with my toddler brother. He was in bed and asleep before my bedtime. I had a small lamp to read by but not disturb him. In the morning my mother would fetch him and take him for breakfast while I got dressed. Worked fine with me.