Chocolate Cookie Crumb Pie Crust

I love making icebox-type dessert pies for the summer season. So many of the recipes sounded great, but called for a chocolate cookie crumb crust. I'm not about to buy a pre-made chocolate crust, nor do I ever have chocolate cookies on hand cause they are too darned expensive to buy, and I didn't want to have to make chocolate cookies just for a crust.

SO, one day I was making a pie flavor that just screamed out for a chocolate crumb crust and I was going to use my plain old cheapo standby graham cracker crust recipe, but then I got a bright idea of adding some cocoa powder to the processor while making the crumbs. It worked great, 1/4 cup.

It was one of those inspired moments that you have no idea where they come from. I've made several of the crusts since then with the plain old cheapo graham crackers and cocoa powder and the pie flavors have definitely been enhanced by the chocolate flavored crust. I couldn't tell the difference between my fake chocolate cookie crust and one made from actual chocolate cookies.

By Susan M. from Omaha, Ne

More Tips:

A New Way to Make Chocolate Cookie Crumb Crust

Thanks for a terrific idea! I'd like to suggest brushing the crust with melted chocolate, too. I usually freeze the crusts first so the crumbs don't drive me crazy, but doing this is so yummy! Try it with coconut or banana cream pies - luscious! (05/16/2006)

By Carolyn

Great idea as you can no longer buy the Oreo cookie crumbs in a box like graham crumbs. The chocolate cookie crumbs are essential to a recipe I have for Kentucky Burbon Balls. (07/16/2007)

By Vicki Daniels

h3>A New Way to Make Chocolate Cookie Crumb Crust

Thanks so much for the tip. I have a recipe that calls for chocolate wafer cookie crumbs for the crust, but was thrilled when I was able to start buying the Oreo cookie crumbs. Recently I was unable to buy the crumbs and had to revert back to the wafer cookies and making my own crumbs, which I used to do with a zip lock bag and rolling pin. I found this a real problem, as my strength just isn't what it used to be, because of medical problems! Thank you, thank you! (08/23/2007)

By Sally

I will definitely try this. I was using chocolate animal crackers in the food processor but this sounds a lot easier. I assume you can add the cocoa to the boxed graham cracker crumbs. Thanks (08/18/2008)

By John E

Chocolate Cookie Crumb Pie Crust
An apple pie with a delicious looking pie crust.
Pie Crust Tips and Tricks
cheesecake with graham cracker crust
Dessert Ideas With a Graham Cracker Crust
Pie Crust Recipes
Pie Crust Recipes
Photo of vanilla wafer cookies which can be used to make pie crust.
Cookie Pie Crust Recipes
🎉
🎄