Cookie Pie Crust Recipes

Category Pie Crust
Time can be saved using crushed cookies for crust of your pie. This page contains cookie pie crust recipes.

Vanilla wafers can make a tasty substitute for a regular graham cracker pie crust. This is a guide about making a vanilla wafer pie crust.

Two vanilla wafer cookies

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is an easy pie crust that tastes like a cookie. It was my mom's.

Directions:

Mix together butter, sugar and egg. Add flour and mix with pastry blender. Pat into a 9in pie pan. Bake 8 minutes at 400 degrees F.

By Karen from Dade City, FL

I'm looking for a recipe to make my own chocolate cookie crumb pie crust, like the kind you can buy at the grocery store. I know I've seen a recipe in the past that called for chocolate wafer cookies, but I don't know what kind they mean. With the holidays coming up I sure could use that recipe soon. Thank you in advance.

Answers

The recipe is simple. You need to buy (Nabisco)Nilla Wafers...they are with the other cookies at the grocers(round, flat cookies). They have the regular nilla's, as well as rainbow and chocolate. (It sounds like you want chocolate). Then you just add melted butter until you can press it, and it semi-sticks-together: 3Tb usually will do it. You can use this method with graham crackers(they have chocolate too)and any other cookies you can crumble in your processor. Good luck to you! I have found it is cheaper to buy the premade with coupons...and you get a free pie pan to reuse!and the plastic cover flips upside down for transport. Happy Holidays!

I just did the graham cracker with cocoa powder a few days ago. The problem was I didn't do it in the food processor, and the crust looked funny. It was 2 different colors. As the cocoa didn't mix well. I guess you have to do it in the food processor to mix thoroughly. But then my crust stick to the pie plate like cement. What did I do wrong?

You can use the chocolate 'Nilla Wafers or I have even used chocolate sandwich cookies (Oreo type), with the cream filling removed, but you need to make sure to crush or put these in the food processor until they are very fine as I don't think they crush as well as the wafers do. Either one is very tasty, but I think I might prefer the taste of the sandwich cookie crust.

After much searching for nabisco chocolate wafers with no success and not wanting to scrape oreos for my curst, I bought a box of oreo pie mix and in it is chocolate crumbs. If your making a piece that needs the crust up the sides you will need two boxes which will cost you around six dollars, otherwise scrape the oreos. From what I have read the oreos cookies are the best although I haven't tried the chocolate grahams.

I have found two recipes for chocolate wafers where you can make your own. The easier one is the one I'm posting here found at SmittenKitchen.com and if you don't have a food processor, a mixer does just as well.

I have been tempted to just press the dough into a pie plate and add my cheesecake filling then just bake all at once, but I chicken out every time! If you're brave, you can give it a go.

In any case, once baked and cooled, just crush them up and mix it with melted butter and press into your pie plate. I use 1 1/2 cups of crushed cookies, 1/3 cup sugar and about 6 tbs butter for an 8 or 9 inch pie plate.

=====
Makes 50 to 60 1 3/4-inch wafers. Note that thinner sliced cookies obviously produce more.

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 3/4 sticks unsalted butter, slightly softened
3 tablespoons whole milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Combine the flour, cocoa, sugar, salt, and baking soda in the bowl of food processor and pulse several times to mix thoroughly. Cut the butter into about 12 chunks and add them to the bowl. Pulse several times. Combine the milk and vanilla in a small cup. With the processor running, add the milk mixture and continue to process until the mixture clumps around the blade or the sides of the bowl. Transfer the dough to a large bowl or a cutting board and knead a few times to make sure it is evenly blended.

Form the dough into a log about 14" long and 1 3/4" in diameter. Wrap the log in wax paper or foil and refrigerate until firm, at least one hour, or until needed.

Position the racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Line the baking sheets with parchment paper.

Cut the log of dough into slices a scant 1/4" thick (If you're trying to emulate the store-bought wafers, slice as thin as you can - about 1/8" thick - and watch the baking time carefully, as it might be less.) and place them 1" apart on the lined sheets (cookies WILL spread).

Bake, rotating the baking sheet from top to bottom and back to front about halfway through baking, for a total of 12 to 15 minutes. The cookies will puff up and deflate; they are done about 1 1/2 minutes after they deflate.

Cool the cookies on the baking sheets on racks, or slide the parchment onto racks to cool completely. These cookies may be stored in an airtight container for up to two weeks or be frozen for up to two months.

Note: These cookies should crisp as they cool. If they don't, you're not baking them long enough, in which case, return them to the oven to reheat and bake a little longer, then cool again.
=====