Pie Crust Tips and Tricks

Category Baking
Having a good crust is an important part of making delicious homemade pie. Use these idea to ensure your next pie crust is perfect. This is a guide about pie crust tips and tricks.

With the holidays coming and after wasting countless strips of aluminum foil just to cover my pie crusts when baking, I tried cutting up an old aluminum pie pan to place over my pie crusts while baking. It worked!

Use craft scissors and cut cleanly so you leave no sharp edges. I would suggest you wear work gloves and possibly use needle nose pliers to bend down and crimp closed the cut ends after cutting the circle out of the bottom just to guarantee no cuts!

I intend to reuse these again and again.

This recipe I developed because of always getting tough crusts. Tough crust happens because of using all-purpose flour that has gluten. Gluten is wonderful in breads, but not in a pie crust. I have given this recipe to my students in Cake Decorating Class and they have said it is the very best recipe for a pie crust, so out there in cyber space, enjoy!

*These flours have little to no gluten

**Crisco is Hydrogenated (deadly)

Directions:

Mix altogether in mixer with dough hook, let rest in fridge. for 30 minutes, then use as needed. This recipe can be frozen and thawed several time with no ill effect on the pie crust, it stays flakey.

Servings: 2 double pie crusts
Time:20 Minutes Preparation Time
whatever pie is needed Minutes Cooking Time

By Cricket Girl from Atascadero, CA

Ingredients

• 1 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 4 Tbsp. ice water

Directions

Mix ingredients. (It pulls away from bowl.) Roll out on floured board. Fit into pie shell.

By Robin from Washington, IA

I love pies and if you have any pie tins (aluminum) left after you make pies, save them. On a wooden board with a sharp knife (being very careful because it would be easy to cut yourself and I just want to help not cause problems), take your knife and cut out the bottom. Make sure there are no sharp edges, you can usually cut any parts like that out with scissors. You now have a pie tin cover for around your pies while they bake to keep them from becoming burned and you from burning your fingers off.

Happy baking!

By Darlene from Fairview, PA

Keep some butter or margarine in the freezer. When you make a pastry, grate the butter or margarine needed into the flour and salt mixture. Then, it will need just a little mixing before sprinkling on the water in sections. It keeps the pastry dough cooler and eliminates much of the handling so it is very flaky.

Source: my mom

By Harriet from Lakewood, CA

For the prettiest pie crusts, Brush some beaten egg white over the pie crust before baking to yield a beautiful glossy finish.

By Brenda C.

This is an easy no roll pie crust!

Tips for making great pastries. Post your ideas.

Answers

Freeze butter before baking pastries and they come out great!

By Tara Mckenzie

This never fail pie crust will get plenty of compliments for the cook.....even if she cannot make a good pie crust. I am one of those. My pie crust always was like shoe leather until I found this recipe, and have been using it and sharing it for 40 years. This also freezes well. I make extra and divide, for two crusts, roll into a ball, flatten slightly and wrap in foil. To prevent ice crystals or freezer burn, place the foil wrapped packages in a ziplock bag. Will keep for several months
Never Fail Pie Crust (enough for a double crust pie)

3 cups flour
1 and 1/4 cups shortening, *
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg, well beaten
5 Tablespoons water
1 Tablespoon vinegar
Cut shortening into flour until finely crumbled and add salt. Combine egg water and vinegar. Make a well in the flour and add wet ingredients all at once. Blend with a fork until flour is moist and dough forms a ball.
*Blue Bonnet margarine works well in place of shortening...easy to measure. This dough can be rerolled without being tough, so you can use scraps
to make another crust or to cover a pot pie.To make a prebaked pie shell, make a foil form. After you put your crust in the pan, set the foil form in and fill with dried beans. Bake 15 minutes, then lift out form and beans carefully and continue to bake crust until golden brown.
Harlean from Arkansas

Sometimes the reason folks have trouble with their pie crusts having the texture of cardboard is that they handle it like bread dough. KNEADING is a bad thing for pie crust. Mix ingredients with a fork until they just come together then handle ever so carefully to roll out for the pie tin. Folks like my crusts well enough they have been buying my pies for holidays for the last several years. Here is a recipe that I have used for 25+ years very successfully.

Ingredients make a double 9" pie crust
2 cups flour
3/4 cup butter flavor Crisco
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup tap water

Measure flour into sifter and add salt, sift the two together into a bowl with the 3/4 c of shortening. Cut together with a pastry blender or two knives until crumbly. Add 1/4 cup water and mix with a fork until just blended. DO NOT OVER HANDLE. Roll half the dough to desired thickness, should not be more than 1/4 inch (thinner is better). Place into pie tin. Fill with your favorite fruit filling top with other rolled out crust and bake.

Here is a tip, if you do not have wax paper to roll out your dough, use a cereal box liner. Just cut the sealed edges off the top and bottom and open down the long seam. This works great and you save a little money too.

Another tip, don't like that your dough and wax paper seemed to slide when you try to roll out your crust? Sprinkle some water on the counter then place your wax paper (cereal box liner) on the water. It makes the paper stick to the counter just enough so it won't slide.

I have a can of breadstick dough and I was wondering if I could use it as a topping for chicken pot pie? And how could I achieve that?

Answers

I would try it. Just take it out, spread it over the pot pie, and bake as directed. Normal bread dough would have too much yeast for a crust, but breadstick dough is close to a pie crust dough. It may rise a bit but overall I think it would be worth the experiment

Take out the crust and roll it out. Wrap it around the rolling pin and unwind it over the pie. Cut some slits for ventilation and bake

Today is Dec.1, 2014. I have a few frozen pie crusts in the original package. The date stamped on the packages is September 2012. Can I still use them?

By JuanandKathy

Answers

It's mainly flour and lard. If you're not sure, thaw it out. Is it slimy or too dry? If not, smell it. Does it smell like butter or meat that has turned or gone bad? If ok on both fronts, chance it if you feel comfortable.

How do I remove a purchased, frozen pie crust, from the pan, without the crust breaking? I have tried letting it thaw. I have tried running warm water on the backside of the pan, neither of these tricks, work too well!

Thanks,
Sharon from Southern Illinois

Answers

A partially thawed crust should pop out of pan easily, then lay it in your own pan. When it is fully thawed, gently adjust and pat it into the shap/size of your pan.