Choosing a Hair Color to Complement Skin Tone and Eye Color

Category Coloring
A woman coloring her hair.
Choosing the best color to dye your hair will depend on your intent. This is a guide about choosing a hair color to complement skin tone and eye color.

I have dark brown hair and I want to dye it a new color. I don't know what color should I do. I have tan skin with a lot of freckles and brown eyes. What color should I dye it?

By Sarah

Best Answer

If this is the first time you are coloring your hair, I would suggest you go a few shades lighter. I would not got black or very blond, nothing startling. Unless that is what you are going for, to shock everyone. Or maybe you would like to try just doing blond streaks. That is a nice look, I think, and not as big a change. It is easy to do this yourself, or if you have it done in a salon, they will advise you about color.

Best Answer

Almost any dye that you use will cause your hair to come out darker, or with lots of auburn. The only way to lighten it is to bleach it with the hair product, (not household bleach.) You will have to take it through a lot of red to get it to a blonde color, or even a lighter brown. Best to have it done professionally, perhaps a frost (blonde streaks).

Best Answer

I'd go auburn. If you have freckles I think this color would be beautiful on you. Like others said I would not go too light because it would be too expensive to maintain and would be too drastic.