Cinder Block Planters

Cinder blocks are relatively inexpensive and can easily be stacked and arranged in numerous ways. Their holes are perfect for planting in or you can create a bigger planter by stacking them up for a raised planter. This is a guide about making cinder block planters.

Filter Sort

Tip: Garden: Planting In Cinderblocks

By Ellen 8 2

Planting In CinderblocksMy husband and I planted marigolds and herbs (dill, parsley and basil) in the 2 holes of each cinder block surrounding our small garden plots. This would be especially good for peppermint and catnip that tend to spread all over.

By Ellen from Ware, MA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Start Plants in Cinder Blocks

By Robyn Fed 394 1,240

I like to use old cinder blocks to plant things in. When they get big enough, I move them. It is hard for the birds to get into the block or the cats to dig them out before they have grown big enough to transplant. Here are how some of mine look in my garden, I am starting tomato seeds and some wildflowers in a few of them.

By Robyn Fed from Tri-Cities, TN Growing plants in a cinderblock. A close up of plants growing in a cinder block.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Cinder Block Step Planter

By lalala... 732 97

finished planterThis planter would work great for succulents, grasses, flowers, or strawberries. I chose to use succulents of the Sedum variety but there are a lot of different options.

To have success planting in cinder blocks you will want to use alkaline loving plants. Your also want to plant in a nice flat area. A concrete driveway or deck works well.

• 20 half-cinder blocks
  • potting soil
  • gravel
  • alkaline loving plants
  • liquid nails

Directions:

1. Find a nice flat spot to layout your cinder blocks. The half cinder blocks work great for this type of project.

2. If you plan on stacking higher than 3 high, you will want to run some rebar so that it doesn't topple over if someone bumps it. Even with a shorter version like mine, I would recommend using a little liquid nails to attach the 2nd and 3rd row of blocks. first row second row third row

3. Once you have your layout set up, put gravel in the bottom of all the planters. Make sure to leave room for 6 inches of soil. planter with soil and gravel adding gravel

4. Fill the blocks the rest of the way with soil. adding soil

5. Then put in your favorite alkaline loving plants.

I like to refer to this as our Qbert planter, since it reminds of the old video games (see below). Screenshot from the video game qbert.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Video: Making a Cinder Block Planter

This video shows an easy way to make a layered planter with cinder blocks. View the full project here: Cinder Block Step Planter

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cinder Block Planter

By judy 15 24

How do you make a planter out of cinder blocks?

By Judy from Riverside, CA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Jess 132 773 Flag

Here is a really cute project for making planters out of cinder blocks that we just posted.

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf51194331.tip.html

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Painted Tiles to Cover Cinder Blocks

By Robyn Fed 394 1,240

We have a few cinder blocks in our front garden. I plant things in them. During the cold months, I cover them up with tiles I bought from the home improvement store. We decided to paint them, and this is how it turned out. Painted Cinder Block Tiles Paint by numbers paint in a pot

We are going to try different paints, but we used left over paint by number paints, to begin with. Painted terra cotta tiles

By Robyn from Tri-Cities, TN

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Building a Block Planter on a Concrete Slab

I have a concrete slab and I want to build a block flower container in a square pattern on top of the slab. My question is do I have to use an adhesive to secure the blocks or can I put the mortar directly on the concrete and begin building the wall? Or other ideas?

By Sally

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Cinder Block Planter
Home and Garden Gardening ContainerJune 14, 2012
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Broken terra cotta planter used to retain garden plant.
Reusing Terra Cotta Planters
Make Steps From Cinder Blocks
Making Steps with Cinder Blocks
Painting Cinder Block Walls
Painting Cinder Block Walls
A close up of plants growing in a cinder block.
Growing Plants in Cinder Blocks
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2016 at 8:16:06 AM on 10.0.1.226 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsVideos
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings