Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cinder Block Planters

Cinder blocks are relatively inexpensive and can easily be stacked and arranged in numerous ways. Their holes are perfect for planting in or you can create a bigger planter by stacking them up for a raised planter. This is a guide about making cinder block planters.

December 31, 2016 Flag

Making a Cinder Block Step Planter

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a cinder block step planter. Cinder blocks are great containers for alkaline loving plants, and work well to create a layered planter.

March 11, 2010 Flag

My husband and I planted marigolds and herbs (dill, parsley and basil) in the 2 holes of each cinder block surrounding our small garden plots. This would be especially good for peppermint and catnip that tend to spread all over.

By Ellen from Ware, MA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is great, I might do this along the fence to keep the weeds down, they seem to grow there and we can plant little flowers in the holes...great idea!

I put a bunch of these cinderblocks in a circle and put an old metal tray in the middle and then surrounded it with rocks, since I like rocks, and then put an old oven grate or rack over it, so now it is a fire pit.

Robyn

June 11, 2011 Flag

I like to use old cinder blocks to plant things in. When they get big enough, I move them. It is hard for the birds to get into the block or the cats to dig them out before they have grown big enough to transplant. Here are how some of mine look in my garden, I am starting tomato seeds and some wildflowers in a few of them.

By Robyn Fed from Tri-Cities, TN

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What a great idea!! I've been wanting to plant a garden but didn't dare because we live in the desert along with lots of "critters" that would love to eat tender plants. I think I'll try this technique to see if I can get some home grown vegetables this year!

March 29, 2012 Flag

Painted terra cotta tiles

We have a few cinder blocks in our front garden. I plant things in them. During the cold months, I cover them up with tiles I bought from the home improvement store. We decided to paint them, and this is how it turned out.

June 24, 2012 Flag

How do you make a planter out of cinder blocks?

By Judy from Riverside, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here is a really cute project for making planters out of cinder blocks that we just posted.

http://www.thri  1194331.tip.html

August 14, 2011 Flag

I have a concrete slab and I want to build a block flower container in a square pattern on top of the slab. My question is do I have to use an adhesive to secure the blocks or can I put the mortar directly on the concrete and begin building the wall? Or other ideas?

By Sally

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Gardening ContainerJune 14, 2012
Broken terra cotta planter used to retain garden plant.
Reusing Terra Cotta Planters
Make Steps From Cinder Blocks
Making Steps with Cinder Blocks
Painting Cinder Block Walls
Painting Cinder Block Walls
Cinder Block Step Planter - finished planter
Making a Cinder Block Step Planter
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 17, 2017 at 10:14:59 AM on 10.0.0.74 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.