Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cinder Block Planters

1 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Cinder Block Planter

Cinder blocks are relatively inexpensive and can easily be stacked and arranged in numerous ways. Their holes are perfect for planting in or you can create a bigger planter by stacking them up for a raised planter. This is a guide about making cinder block planters.

Video: Making a Cinder Block Planter

This video shows an easy way to make a layered planter with cinder blocks. View the full project here: Cinder Block Step Planter

Solutions: Cinder Block Planters

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Cinder Block Step Planter

finished planterThis planter would work great for succulents, grasses, flowers, or strawberries. I chose to use succulents of the Sedum variety but there are a lot of different options.

To have success planting in cinder blocks you will want to use alkaline loving plants. Your also want to plant in a nice flat area. A concrete driveway or deck works well.

• 20 half-cinder blocks
  • potting soil
  • gravel
  • alkaline loving plants
  • liquid nails

Directions:

1. Find a nice flat spot to layout your cinder blocks. The half cinder blocks work great for this type of project.

2. If you plan on stacking higher than 3 high, you will want to run some rebar so that it doesn't topple over if someone bumps it. Even with a shorter version like mine, I would recommend using a little liquid nails to attach the 2nd and 3rd row of blocks. first row second row third row

3. Once you have your layout set up, put gravel in the bottom of all the planters. Make sure to leave room for 6 inches of soil. planter with soil and gravel adding gravel

4. Fill the blocks the rest of the way with soil. adding soil

5. Then put in your favorite alkaline loving plants.

I like to refer to this as our Qbert planter, since it reminds of the old video games (see below). Screenshot from the video game qbert.

Tip: Start Plants in Cinder Blocks

I like to use old cinder blocks to plant things in. When they get big enough, I move them. It is hard for the birds to get into the block or the cats to dig them out before they have grown big enough to transplant. Here are how some of mine look in my garden, I am starting tomato seeds and some wildflowers in a few of them.

By Robyn Fed from Tri-Cities, TN Growing plants in a cinderblock. A close up of plants growing in a cinder block.

Tip: Garden: Planting In Cinderblocks

Planting In CinderblocksMy husband and I planted marigolds and herbs (dill, parsley and basil) in the 2 holes of each cinder block surrounding our small garden plots. This would be especially good for peppermint and catnip that tend to spread all over.

By Ellen from Ware, MA

Tip: Painted Tiles to Cover Cinder Blocks

We have a few cinder blocks in our front garden. I plant things in them. During the cold months, I cover them up with tiles I bought from the home improvement store. We decided to paint them, and this is how it turned out. Painted Cinder Block Tiles Paint by numbers paint in a pot

We are going to try different paints, but we used left over paint by number paints, to begin with. Painted terra cotta tiles

By Robyn from Tri-Cities, TN

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Cinder Block Planters.

Question: Cinder Block Planter

How do you make a planter out of cinder blocks?

By Judy from Riverside, CA

Most Recent Answer

By Jess [111]06/25/2012

Here is a really cute project for making planters out of cinder blocks that we just posted.

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf51194331.tip.html