Cinder Block Planters

Cinder blocks are relatively inexpensive and can easily be stacked and arranged in numerous ways. Their holes are perfect for planting in or you can create a bigger planter by stacking them up for a raised planter. This is a guide about making cinder block planters.

September 20, 2012 Flag

This video shows an easy way to make a layered planter with cinder blocks. View the full project here: Cinder Block Step Planter

Love the way this looks. I could do this down my drive at apartment. So cute!

March 11, 2010 Flag

My husband and I planted marigolds and herbs (dill, parsley and basil) in the 2 holes of each cinder block surrounding our small garden plots. This would be especially good for peppermint and catnip that tend to spread all over.

By Ellen from Ware, MA

Wow - there's somebody else like me out there! I do the exact same thing. Check out my gardens.

I also do the same with my raised bed garden & plant onions in the holes in the blocks. I planted sweet potatoes in the holes last year, guess what? They got so large I had a hard time digging them out of the hole. I will not do that again! I will also plant cabbage & lettuce in the holes, good luck.

I put in a garden last year with two levels of cinderblocks. I live in a rocky area of Central Texas. This garden was so productive and I loved planting herbs and flowers in the small "containers" around the outside.

Another benefit for this type of garden - no tilling so in this extra wet spring, my garden has already been planted with the early crops. Love it.

This picture was taken the last week of April.

This is great, I might do this along the fence to keep the weeds down, they seem to grow there and we can plant little flowers in the holes...great idea!

I put a bunch of these cinderblocks in a circle and put an old metal tray in the middle and then surrounded it with rocks, since I like rocks, and then put an old oven grate or rack over it, so now it is a fire pit.

Robyn

I have done this off and on for years. My dog loves garlic, and he can't dig up the garlic or other plants that I plant this way. He can get his mouth in the block, but can't open it to pull the plant out! It stops evasive herbs from spreading!

I have surrounded some of my wood raised beds with blocks and it gives extra support to those beds if they are trying to pull apart - helping them to last several years longer.

You do need to water them more often however, as the concrete is porous and absorbs the water.

June 11, 2011 Flag

I like to use old cinder blocks to plant things in. When they get big enough, I move them. It is hard for the birds to get into the block or the cats to dig them out before they have grown big enough to transplant.

Growing plants in a cinderblock.

June 14, 2012 Flag

This planter would work great for succulents, grasses, flowers, or strawberries. I chose to use succulents of the Sedum variety but there are a lot of different options.

To have success planting in cinder blocks you will want to use alkaline loving plants. Your also want to plant in a nice flat area. A concrete driveway or deck works well.

Directions:

1. Find a nice flat spot to layout your cinder blocks. The half cinder blocks work great for this type of project.

2. If you plan on stacking higher than 3 high, you will want to run some rebar so that it doesn't topple over if someone bumps it. Even with a shorter version like mine, I would recommend using a little liquid nails to attach the 2nd and 3rd row of blocks.

3. Once you have your layout set up, put gravel in the bottom of all the planters. Make sure to leave room for 6 inches of soil.

4. Fill the blocks the rest of the way with soil.

5. Then put in your favorite alkaline loving plants.

I like to refer to this as our Qbert planter, since it reminds of the old video games (see below).

March 29, 2012 Flag

We have a few cinder blocks in our front garden. I plant things in them. During the cold months, I cover them up with tiles I bought from the home improvement store. We decided to paint them, and this is how it turned out.

Painted terra cotta tiles

June 24, 2012 Flag

How do you make a planter out of cinder blocks?

By Judy from Riverside, CA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here is a really cute project for making planters out of cinder blocks that we just posted.

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf51194331.tip.html

Home and Garden Gardening ContainerJune 14, 2012
Broken terra cotta planter used to retain garden plant.
Reusing Terra Cotta Planters
Make Steps From Cinder Blocks
Making Steps with Cinder Blocks
Painting Cinder Block Walls
Painting Cinder Block Walls
A close up of plants growing in a cinder block.
Growing Plants in Cinder Blocks
🎉
🎄