Cleaning Burnt Pans

I burnt chili on the bottom of a pan. How can I get it clean?

By Ron from Chicago, IL

Answers:

Cleaning Burnt Pans

I see you have lots of answers to your question here, and this has nothing to do with cleaning the pan, but here is a tip to keep burned chili from tasting burned. Once the chili scorches, pour it in a different pot, and don't scrape the bottom of the pot or you'll get the burned taste in the chili. (11/20/2010)

By Anonymous

Cleaning Burnt Pans

Fill the pan with water and a bit of dish soap. Bring it to a boil and then let it set overnight. Then wash it normally. The burnt chili should come right off! Best wishes. (11/20/2010)

By Ivy W.

Cleaning Burnt Pans

I managed to burn sugar onto the bottom of an (fairly expensive and new) enameled pan, as anyone who has faced it will know, burnt-on sugar is a nightmare.

After trying bicarbonate of soda, biological washing powder and denture cleaning tablets (all of which I recommend trying first) I resorted to medical peroxide, which I was reliably informed would definitely sort it out.

Alas, it didn't. In the end I resorted to coating the bottom in household ammonia and replacing the lid quickly because of the smell. I then went about my daily business and came back a good 18 hours later. Opening all the windows and standing well back, I placed the pan-and-lid under a quickly running cold tap. Then taking the lid off and standing well back to avoid fumed, I watched as the previously immovable burn simply floated away down the drain! The enamel was untouched so, following a vigorous clean to remove any traces of ammonia, the pan was as good as new.

I don't know whether teflon (non-stick coating) would also be impervious to ammonia in the same way, and suspect that aluminum would react badly, but ammonia's definitely a winner on enamel. I'd probably try all all the other methods first though, ammonia's horrible stuff and stinks your kitchen out. (11/21/2010)

By rjt88

Cleaning Burnt Pans

I have tried all these methods with varying poor results. What works best is to sprinkle on some powdered dishwasher detergent, add hot water and let sit overnight. By a.m. all the gunk washes off with just a touch of a scrubby sponge. (11/21/2010)

By lindal

Baked On Food in Broiler Pan
Cleaning Baked On Food
Cooking with cast iron pans.
Cooking With Cast Iron Pans
Fixing Burnt Sausage
Fixing Burnt Sausage
Dirty Pots and Pans
Cleaning Pots and Pans
Dirty drip pan and stove top.
Keeping Electric Range Drip Pans Clean
🎉
🎄