Removing Burnt Grease from Copper Bottom Pans

Category Dishes
Grease can easily get burnt to the bottom of a copper pan. Burn stains like this can be very difficult to get out. This is a guide about removing burnt grease from copper bottom pans.

I am new at this and I have a question for the members. How do you remove burned on grease and crud from copper bottom cookware? It's burned on over a period of time and short of using a Dremel on it I have no clue how to clean. I have used everything from Oven Cleaner to just plain old elbow grease, which us old folks don't have much of most of the time.

Would appreciate any help with this problem you guys can shove my way.

Donna ( Zwerling )

Answers

By Jill (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Have you tried Bon Ami or Barkeeper's Friend? Both are found with the scouring powders at your grocery store, but are safer for the copper surface. Either one of them will also take that "elbow grease", but will give your "elbow" an assist!

Best Answer

Barkeeper's friend is great, and it also helps with rust spots too. A large can is under 80 cents at walmart and will last a long time!

By Kim (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I usually add baking soda with a small amount of water to make a runny paste, heat till boiling, cover and remove from heat. Let sit for a while and use a scraper to remove the burnt on part. I've also done it where I leave it on the burner after it boiles and just scrape a little later, add more water, boil, scrape, over and over.

A few times and it's clean. I recently found another way by accident. I was cooking rice with chicken bouillon and forgot to remove the pan from the burner. The rice was too burnt tasting, and the bottom was too burnt. I covered it, and the next day the rice had softened all the burnt stuff off!

By (Guest Post)
Best Answer

After burning my copper bottom pan yesterday and reading all the suggestions here, I decided to "first" try a non chemical way. I hate chemicals!

I put apple cider vinegar at the bottom of my pan, added hot water from the tap and let it sit. I had totally forgot about it all afternoon. By 5 P.M. which was roughly 4 hours later, my pan was clean! I rinsed it out and it looked all washed. So I washed it normally with detergent and bingo! Back on shelf!

Best Answer

There is a copper and stainless steel cleaner called revere. If you have a corningware store close to you.

You can get it there. Also you can get it on Amazon.com: https://www.ama  r/dp/B00080QDV2/

What is the best method to clean burnt grease on the bottom of Copper Chef pots and pans? Will oven cleaner work?

Answers

You can try hot diluted apple cider vinegar and let it sit then scrub. Barkeeper's Friend is also pretty good for cleaning burnt grease from them.

I would rather use something less harsh, like Barkeeper's Friend.

Barkeeper's Friend is an excellent choice. If that isn't available. You can try scouring it with baking soda. Baking soda makes an excellent scouring powder.