Cleaning Hardwood Floors

What is the best way to clean hardwood floors? I have found that with cleaners like the Swiffer wetjet or Murphys oil soap and others leave a film and streaks whether I dry it with a cloth or let it dry naturally. I also tried to dilute the cleaners thinking I've used too much. Most of my main floor is hardwood and I miss the shine!

Loni

Answers:

Hardwood Floor Cleaner

I am all about vinegar and water for wood floors also. I responded to a similar question but a hardwood floor company suggested 4 oz. to 1 gallon of water. And they are against commercial cleaning products.

Shannon (06/11/2004)

By sjk

Hardwood Floor Cleaner

Have you tried 4 oz. to 1 gallon? That doesn't seem like enough. I used 1 cup to 1 gallon, and it didn't work too well. (12/14/2004)

By Miranda

Hardwood Floor Cleaner

I am curious to try this vinegar and water tip on the hardwood floors. I am helping my father prep up his rental apt. to rent out, and there is a lot of dust on the living room/dining room floors from the latest home improvement project. So, I am figuring that using this water/vinegar solution will clean up the dust residue and give the floors a nice shine. Wish me luck, and I will be writing to let you how well it comes out. (03/25/2005)

By Patricia

Hardwood Floor Cleaner

Use a 1:1 solution of vinegar and water to clean hardwood floors. It's cheaper than the commercial cleaners and chemical-free! (06/21/2005)

By Dianne

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

We recently had our hardwood floors re-sanded and polyurethane. The man who did our floors said only to clean them ONCE a year with vinegar and water. Other than that, simply sweep often and spot clean with plain water--anything else and you risk damaging the finish. (06/22/2005)

By ght

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

Vinegar smell is short lived. I clean with it daily. (09/07/2005)

By Jennifer from CA

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

I have polyurethaned wood floors. Can't imagine not cleaning them every week, especially in the kitchen. Vinegar and water works fine and there is no smell! The vinegar smell dissipates after a few minutes--and it works well (09/21/2005)
(09/07/2005)

By KathleenLI

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

I have been trying for weeks to remove the cloudy look to my hardwood floors. I believe that murphy's oil soap is what put it there. I will NEVER use that again! It's driving me nuts trying to get that terrible dull coating off the floor. (09/22/2005)

By Valerie

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

I use windex on my hard floors. They turn out really nice. (09/25/2005)

By Joyce wis

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

I use a bucket of hot water and a little Murphy's Oil soap. Lemon oil works well too. (09/26/2005)

By Tanya

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

Use cheap shaving cream on your floors. Spray it on and then wipe it off. Gives the floor a nice shine. (09/26/2005)

By sjackie2000

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

Try cleaning your floors with armstrong dura-luster. It comes in a spray bottle and the floors look great. I have a problem finding it and at present, I'm all out. I tried min wax and I didn't like it at all, left my floor dull. The person that put my floors down said vinegar but I don't think it's as good as the cleaner and does not smell good either. (12/12/2005)

By lizzy195

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

i just used the water and vinegar on my floors and i loved it. I used about 1/2 a cup to 2 gallons and did it throughout my house. (01/03/2006)

By Dana

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

I use Bruce hardwood floor cleaner just spray it on and wipe off. The flooring company recommended only using this stuff you should never use water to clean hard wood floors. You can get the floor cleaner at Home Depot or try any company who sells hard wood floors. (01/25/2006)

By Jeanette

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

I tried the water and vinegar solution and it left a cloudy film on my hardwood floors. I'll never use it again. I only use cleaner recommended by the professionals. It's worth the money. (06/05/2006)

By Kate

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

I used vinegar on my floor, and it took the finish off. I will never use it again. (06/23/2006)

By Gail

Vinegar and Water

My floors are polyurethaned. Since house construction I have only ever used vinegar and water (1 cup vinegar to 1 gallon of water). I damp mop the floors then dry them (on hands and knees) with a soft towel, essentially buffing them. I get lots of compliments! I do this about every 3 to 4 months. In between cleanings I just sweep with broom, then use the swiffer or pledge dusters to pick up any remaining dirt and for a shine. (10/25/2006)

By CMW

Someone mopping hardwood floors
Cleaning Hardwood Floors
Red Chair on Hardwood Floor
Keeping Furniture from Sliding on Hardwood Floors
Engineered Hardwood Floor
Repairing Water Damage on an Engineered Hardwood Floor
Guilty Basset Hound with muddy feet and a trail of muddy paw prints
Cleaning Dog Prints from Hardwood Floors
Wooden floor being mopped
Cleaning and Preventing Streaks on Hardwood Floors
🎉
🎄