Cleaning Human Feces Stains and Odors from Carpet

Category Carpet
Accidents can happen. Cleaning feces stains and the accompanying odor from your carpet, while not pleasant, can be done. This is a guide about cleaning human feces stains and odors from carpet.

How do I remove human feces stains from carpet?

By Judy from Lancaster, PA

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Hydrogen peroxide straight from the bottle, don't mix it with anything. Soak the spot well and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Blot it up with an old towel. May have to repeat. It's best to shampoo it if you can.

My husband had a colostomy and the bag broke. Now my carpet is stained. I have tried everything.

Irene from Topek, KS

Answers:

Human Feces Stains on Carpet

Try washing the stain with dishwasher detergent. It must be mixed with really warm water to work. Rinse several times with white vinegar. When the vinegar dries, the vinegar smell will disappear. Good luck. You might want to test on a hidden area first.

Cathy from MA (01/05/2009)

Human Feces Stains on Carpet

Dishwashing detergent is such a good cleaner due to the sulfates in it, that have since been banned from laundry detergents. If I run out of bleach while cleaning a load of whites, I toss dish detergent in there and it works great. Word of warning: It has a strong bleaching effect which may bleach out your carpet. (01/06/2009)

By creekwalker

Human Feces Stains on Carpet

I swear by Sprayaway Instant Carpet Spot Remover. It gets up all the tough stains that I have ever used it on. Good luck. (01/07/2009)

By tuffysmum

Human Feces Stains on Carpet

What I use on fecal matter is equal parts Simple Green, orange scented Pine Sol (it must be Pine Sol, no substitutes) and water in a spray bottle and spray the area. Wait a couple minutes, wipe up with a clean damp towel. I rarely have to repeat.

I have been using this mixture for over 20 years. It will clean virtually everything, just do not use it on windows or mirrors, it even gets rid of the greasy slime on plastic. If you only have 1 or 2 small spots to clean up, try a magic eraser. (01/09/2009)

By BABBIE

Human Feces Stains on Carpet

I swear by hydrogen peroxide full strength. It works on anything organic. It even removes dried blood. Soak the spot with it and let it sit 10-15 minutes. Blot it up until it's as dry as you can get it, or it's best to use a shampooer on it. (01/10/2009)

By msettamae2

Human Feces Stains on Carpet

My husband had a feeding tube inserted in his stomach. One night, the tubing became disconnected from the stand that held the liquid. He caught it as fast as he could, but a good amount went onto the carpet. I sponged the spot, removed the surface liquid, and then I scrubbed the area with club soda. It took some scrubbing because there was quite an odor. But it did do the trick. I don't see why it wouldn't work on your problem. Good Luck. (01/18/2009)

By Betty

Human Feces Stains on Carpet

I have great success with Woolite Oxiclean Pet carpet cleaner, and I use it on light beige colored carpet. I saturate the spots and almost never have to do any type of scrubbing or follow up. This works on human/animal feces and blood! (02/01/2009)

By MLP89

Human Feces Stains on Carpet

I use bleach for colors (Clorox 2 powder) to clean my floors. Always check a small spot for color fasting. I've never had a problem with it. It works great mixing a heavy solution of it with hot water and putting it into a carpet cleaner. I use a Bissell cleaner and it works fine. You can also just put it in a spray bottle and apply it to the stain and put a towel over it with something heavy on top to soak up the stain, if you prefer not to use a carpet cleaner or if you don't own one. You can do the same with Oxiclean. (08/08/2010)

By kjcaston