Cleaning Silver Jewelry

Can I use water, baking soda, and vinegar to clean my silver jewelry that is tarnished and smoked damaged from a fire?

By Karen from Douglas, AZ

Answers:

Cleaning Silver Jewelry

Wash with diluted, mild dish-washing liquid. Rinse thoroughly. Dry with cotton. Lay flat to air dry overnight. Wrap in jewelers's anti-tarnish tissue. Store in its own airtight plastic bag. Silver jewelry can be immersed in water for cleaning if there are no soft gemstones, pearls, crystals, or silk thread in the piece.

Same advice as with all other jewelry: avoid getting any chemicals, including perfume, hairspray, deodorant spray, body lotion, acetone, bleach, or turpentine, onto your silver jewelry. Store your silver jewelry carefully so it needs less cleaning and doesn't get scratched. Wear your silver jewelry often! The color of silver becomes richer and more beautiful the more it's worn. (04/06/2010)

By kffrmw88

Cleaning Silver Jewelry

I am a silversmith and I know that cigarette ashes will clean silver jewelry. I wonder if the actual ashes from the fire would also clean the jewelry? Also, you could try toothpaste. But rinse the jewelry really good to prevent the paste from getting hard and discoloring the piece. Try it. (04/06/2010)

By wsurfs

Cleaning Silver Jewelry

Try the white toothpaste with peroxide or whitener and baking soda in it. Not the gel kind. Get an old toothbrush scrub clean and rinse well. This is good for all types of jewelry. (04/08/2010)

By laura343

Cleaning Silver Jewelry

Shining Silver: You remember years ago those commercials for the silver cleaning plates? I had bought one and through the years it has gotten misplaced. I loved it because it cleaned the tarnish off of silver easily with no chemicals and not a lot of rubbing.

There is a way that you can make your own with items that you have in the kitchen. Grab a large glass baking dish. Place a piece of aluminum foil large enough to cover the bottom in the pan. Wash all of your silver items and place on the foil in the pan. Heat 1 quart of water to boiling. Add 1/4 cup of baking soda and 2 teaspoons of salt to the water. Pour into the pan with your silver items and cover for a minute.

Now when you pull your items out most or all of the tarnish will be gone. (Careful! they may be HOT!) For larger items you may need to turn them several times to cover all sides.
(04/08/2010)

By laura343

Coiled silver bead necklace with large silver ball.
Cleaning Silver Jewelry
Silver bangle bracelet against white background
Cleaning a Silver Bracelet
Woman Polishing a Piece of Silver
Homemade Silver Polishing Cloths
Photo of a woman making jewelry using silver wire.
Making Silver Jewelry
Determining the Value of Silver Jewelry
Determining the Value of Silver Jewelry
🎉
🎄