Identifying Silver Markings

Category Collectibles
The marks on various silver items including serving dishes, flatware, and jewelry indicate the percentage of silver, with 925 indicating sterling silver. Sometimes a maker's mark is also found. This page contains tips for deciphering the marks on silver.

I have silver by Rogers Brothers, 1847. It also has two letters after, that are I S. Can anyone tell me if this is sterling silver or not and what do the letters I S mean? The pattern is First Love.

By Jeannine Harris from Lake Charles, LA

Answers

Best Answer

"IS" is an abbreviation for International Silver which bought Rogers Bros in 1898. The "1847" refers to Rogers founding a new process and not the date of manufacture .

I have a cream and sugar bowl that is marked 175 and a teapot that is marked 597? Is this silver? I know it is very old; it is my grandfather's sister's.

By Rhonda

Answers

Best Answer

The higher the mark, the more silver there is. You can find 925 in most rings, but this lower mark probably indicates it's silver plated. Anything that is silver can tarnish, even plated.

Keep a magnet handy for when you are shopping for silver ware. Magnets do not stick to silver, so this is a good indicator that you have found the real deal.

I have a serving dish that I think might be real silver, but am not sure. It has several makers marks on it. The first looks to be a crown, the second a lion, the third a lowercase "A" and the last is a "B" in a shield. Can anyone tell me if it a real silver piece or not?

John

Answers:

Identifying Markings on Serving Dish

If it has markers on it then it is most likely silver. Call around to local fine china and silver stores/dealers to find out accurate information. (11/26/2008)

By Deeli

Identifying Markings on Serving Dish

John, here's an online place you can look up maker's marks. It may help you. 925-1000.com

Good luck.

(11/26/2008)

By Susan M.

Identifying Markings on Serving Dish

Yes, if it has a lion, it's real. Go to the library to research the marks. There are books devoted to identifying them. Good luck. (12/01/2008)

By mklema92658

Consumer Advice CollectiblesAugust 29, 2019
🎂
🌻
📓