Identifying Silver Markings

I have a silver punch bowl ladle that is very old, but I do not know the meaning behind the marks on the reverse side of the piece. It is marked: MK100. The 100 is in an oval. It has a pour spout on one side and it is scrolled on the upper part of the handle.

A magnet does not stick to it. There are no signs of any wear. It cleaned up very nicely. It has been wrapped up forever. It was my grandmother's.

Answers

Best Answer

If it were silver, it would have a 925, 900, sterling or ster stamped on it. I think you have silver plate, and the mark is a manufacturer mark.

Best Answer

MK100 is not a normal silver marking on a piece of sterling silver. This could be a manufactures mark or another type of marking for the item. I would consult an auction house to see how old the item is and if it is actually silver or not.

Answer this Question

4 More Questions

I have silver by Rogers Brothers, 1847. It also has two letters after, that are I S. Can anyone tell me if this is sterling silver or not and what do the letters I S mean? The pattern is First Love.

By Jeannine Harris from Lake Charles, LA

Answers

Best Answer

"IS" is an abbreviation for International Silver which bought Rogers Bros in 1898. The "1847" refers to Rogers founding a new process and not the date of manufacture .

Answer this Question

I have a cream and sugar bowl that is marked 175 and a teapot that is marked 597? Is this silver? I know it is very old; it is my grandfather's sister's.

By Rhonda

Answers

Best Answer

The higher the mark, the more silver there is. You can find 925 in most rings, but this lower mark probably indicates it's silver plated. Anything that is silver can tarnish, even plated.

Keep a magnet handy for when you are shopping for silver ware. Magnets do not stick to silver, so this is a good indicator that you have found the real deal.

Answer this Question

I have a silver sugar pot which says Silver and N on the bottom. What does that mean?

Answers

Silver means the object is sterling silver. The N may be the identifying marking the manufacturer put on.

It means it is sterling silver.You should check to see if it is worth anything.Check E-Bay.

There is a website that specializes in all the silver marking on antique and vintage silver. They have over 12.000 silver marks on the site that will help anyone identify the marking on their item. I have used this site several times to search for the marking on some old silver coffee pots and tea pots I had found when I was a child.

I would go here to check it out. You can find out a lot about the markings on your items and it is an excellent resource to help you understand these marking. This is the link to help you out - www.925-1000.com/

Answer this Question

I have a serving dish that I think might be real silver, but am not sure. It has several makers marks on it.

Consumer Advice CollectiblesAugust 29, 2019
📓
🌻
🐛
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Identifying-Silver-Markings.html