Cleaning Silverware

How do I clean my old silverware? It was not taken care of and was stored in the garage and basement until I received it. I don't know how old it is, but it has been passed down on my husband's side.

Zena from Mandan, ND

Answers:

Cleaning Silverware

Store the silver (when cleaned) in Atlantic Cloth, which has a tarnish attracting chemical (if I am not mistaken, it absorbs the sulfur in the air).

Fabric stores sell it by the yard and customized zippered pieces are sold at The Container Store. (12/18/2006)

By cookwie

Cleaning Silverware

Buy TarnX at the local hardware store or grocery or drugstore. (12/19/2006)

By brenda thompson

Cleaning Silverware

Do not use the aluminum and sodium bicarbonate method to clean silver. It will remove the silver plate right off your items. If you are cleaning sterling, eventually it can remove the ornate decorations. My restaurant has used Silvermate silver cleaner for years. It is a safe, ecofriendly liquid that cleans and polishes in just a few seconds without polishing your knuckles blue. It's mild enough to use without gloves. (04/27/2009)

By Chef Marcus

Cleaning Silverware
A polished set of silverware
Storing Silverware
old silverware
Crafts Using Old Silverware
old silverware
Uses for Old Silverware
Finished Wind Chimes
Silverware Wind Chimes
🎄