Cleaning a Garbage Disposal

I put white vinegar, baking soda, hot water, ice cubes, etc. into my kitchen sink garbage disposal. The black rubber "fins" covering the unit get grungy with a greasy, dirty-looking film. I've tried cleaning with a vinegar soaked rag which helps some. Does anyone have an easier way to keep this area of the garbage disposal clean? Thanks for help and for a super website.

Mairmie from Alberta, Canada

Cleaning a Garbage Disposal

It sounds like you've tried just about everything. What works for me is good old "elbow grease!" I pull out the rubber fitting and scrub the grunge with a little bit of dish soap on an old toothbrush. The toothbrush gets down into the ridges quite well.

Hope this helps!! (05/17/2006)

By Proud mom of 4 girls

Cleaning a Garbage Disposal

Try this: cut in half 2 large lemons, put into disposal unit along with half a cup of baking SODA, turn on briefly, just a couple of seconds, turn off and then pour lots of boiling water into the unit put the plug in and turn on for about 5 seconds. Works every time.

Good luck. (05/17/2006)

By Ang

Cleaning a Garbage Disposal

I purchased a brush made to clean the garbage disposal from The Clean Team via the internet. They are based in California, I believe. Also, there is a new product on the market made especially for cleaning the garbage disposal... I'm sorry i cant remember the name, but it has a lemony smell.

Best wishes (05/17/2006)

By Carol in PA

Cleaning a Garbage Disposal

If you can somehow submerge the piece of rubber you are referring to, use very hot water, a small amount of dish soap, and bleach. The bleach does a great job of soaking into the cracks, disinfecting, and cutting through the slimey grime. (05/18/2006)

By Elizabeth

Celery and Banana Going into Garbage Disposal
Cleaning a Garbage Disposal
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer), Man's hands holding a power screwdriver to a garbage disposal.
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer)
kitchen sink
Unclogging a Garbage Disposal
Clean garbage disposal drain.
Keeping Garbage Disposal Smelling Fresh
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage, Raccoon Scavenging Garbage
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage