Keeping Garbage Disposal Smelling Fresh

Category Kitchen
All of that food waste going down your garbage disposal can result in a smelly unit. This is a guide about keeping garbage disposal smelling fresh.

Garbage disposals not only get really stinky if you don't maintain them, the blades will also go dull. Here's is a fast and easy way to eliminate odors and sharpen the blades.

Throw two lemon wedges and a cup of ice in the disposal. Turn on the cold water and turn on the disposal. The lemon will help with the bad odors and the ice helps to get those blades sharp!

By attosa from Los Angeles, CA

I've always put used cut up lemons in my garbage disposal to freshen it. I know that ice cubes are supposed to do that too, but they also are good to sharpen the disposal. So, I took cut up lemons, put them on a zip lock bag, and put them in the freezer. I just add to the bag in the freezer after using the lemons every time. I think the smell is more intense and I'm "killing 2 birds with 1 stone"!

By Clara from North Andover, MA

Keep your garbage disposal fresh by putting fresh orange rinds in it and then running the unit. Easy and costs nothing.

By Pamphyila from L.A., CA

I have lived in an apartment for 3 years. In that time, I could never get rid of a smell coming from the sink. I tried bleach, soda and vinegar, and bought disposal cleaner. Nothing worked. Three times I had them come to repair a leak, the fourth time, it was decided to replace the garbage disposal. Well, low and behold, no more smell!

So all the smell was from the disposal. I am a happy camper again. Hope this helps someone who "just" can't trace that smell.

By Lee from Ohio

Clean the inside of your garbage disposal with chopped up pieces of a lemon to eliminate those old food odors. This works better than baking soda or anything else! I usually use about 1/2 a lemon each time I need to freshen up this part of the sink. Cut the lemon into several pieces, turn on the garbage disposal and enjoy the fresh, clean scent!

By Steph from eastern IA

Editor's Note: You can also rub the lemon around the sink to remove greasy residue before you put it in the disposal. This works really well with stainless steel sinks.

To clean and refresh the garbage grinder in your sink, take your lemon scrapes and used lemon wedges (the ones you use for iced tea) and flush them down the grinder. Run the grinder with hot running water just long enough till you smell the clean scent of lemons. I never have a smelly sink ever.

Lemons

To keep your garbage disposal smelling fresh and working good just cut up a lemon or two and 2 or 3 trays of ice and run them through your disposal. This will clean it and cause it to work great!

By Geri In KY

Clean Smelling Garbage Disposal

Got a weird smell in garbage disposal? It's easy to get rid of for little to no money at all. Done with your coffee? Pour the coffee grounds down the drain and start disposal and it will take care of smell. Don't drink coffee? Got an orange? Put the orange ring down the disposal and it will also take care of the smell for good. Good luck and take care of you and yours.

By Suzanne S.

Garbage Disposal Tip

To keep your garbage disposal clean and smelling fresh. Mix one cup of Vinegar in enough water to fill an ice cube tray, freeze the mixture, grind the cubes through the disposal, and flush with cold water.

By chell

Garbage Disposal Stinky?

Put some citrus in it, Lemon lime or even orange. cut into quarters and grind away this will also freshen up your kitchen air space.

By Classi and Creative

Citrus Rinds

Occasionally, try putting citrus rinds (tangerine, lemon, grapefruit, lime and/or orange) down your garbage disposal, then turn on to get a nice, fresh scent.

By Terri H.

Denture Tablets

My garbage disposal sometimes starts to stink from lack of use over a weekend that I am gone. I got some inexpensive denture cleaning tablets. Put one in the disposal and run some hot water just to get it fizzing. Works great. Not like baking soda which also works but if you put too much, it tends to get gummy at the bottom of the disposal.

By Joyce from Phoenix, AZ

Answers:

Fresh Smelling Garbage Disposal

Just found a new product that deodorizes the smell and has anti-bacterial cleanser for you disposal called Spring Again. It available at Wal-Mart. (08/27/2008)

By Frank

If your garbage disposal has a foul odor don't despair. Some time after you have eaten an orange, grapefruit, or peeled lemons put the rind in the disposal along with some water and run them through. It will help the smell to disappear and freshen the air in your kitchen.

By Robin