Cleaning a Garbage Disposal

I need to know how to clean a garbage disposal. I don't remember ever having one before, an easy homemade way. Thank you folks. You have always come to my rescue.

Jamish from Ransom, Kansas

Answers:

Cleaning a Garbage Disposal

I put the rubber ring in the dishwasher on the top shelf to clean it. (08/14/2006)

By PICO

Vinegar and Baking Soda

I toss in a handful of baking soda followed by a cup or so of cheap white vinegar. This will foam and fizz. When the fizzing stops, add some more vinegar. Leave it for about 20 min, then flush with very hot water. Easy, homemade and cheap, also non-toxic. (08/14/2006)

By Linda

Cleaning a Garbage Disposal

I use bar keepers friend to clean my sink. It does pretty well on the rubber piece also. Recently, I cut the old flaps away and inserted a new replacement rubber. You can buy these at any hardware store I brought mine at Home Depot under $3 I remember.

I fill my disposal up with ice cubes and turn on the water, hit the switch, and add lemon or lime juice about every four to six months. I don't really use my disposal for grinding food away. I throw most in the garbage. (08/14/2006)

By jjager

Cleaning a Garbage Disposal

I use an old toothbrush to clean the rubber part - oh maybe every 4 weeks or when I notice the grunge building up. Works great. (08/14/2006)

By

Mint

I grow several kinds of mint in my backyard. Every week I will pick a large bunch of mint and grind in the garbage disposal. It removes any odors and residue and makes the kitchen smell great...plus the mint is free and is good for the environment. If you decide to grow mint, be sure to plant in an area that you don't care that it spreads...it will take over a flower bed... (08/15/2006)

By kathyElaine

Celery and Banana Going into Garbage Disposal
Cleaning a Garbage Disposal
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer), Man's hands holding a power screwdriver to a garbage disposal.
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer)
kitchen sink
Unclogging a Garbage Disposal
Clean garbage disposal drain.
Keeping Garbage Disposal Smelling Fresh
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage, Raccoon Scavenging Garbage
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage
🎉
🎄