Cleaning a Garbage Disposal

What is the best way to clean and sanitize a garbage disposal?

Debbie52 from IL

Unclogging disposal w/ baking soda & vinegar

I found the baking soda/vinegar trick on this site while checking Google this morning for "how to clear plugged garbage disposal". I tried it this morning, and it worked!

I had dumped a large container of cooked pasta into it last night and plugged it up. I'm always careful about not putting grease and fibrous junk into it, but I'd never heard the warning about starch before. The blades would turn, but water wouldn't drain at all. When I turned it on, everything spewed out in a mess.

As directed, I put a half box of baking soda into the drain, right through the standing water, then 1 cup vinegar, then a 2nd cup of vinegar, and followed that up with a pot of boiling water. I could see a few little bubbles coming up, so then I used a plunger, and it opened right up.

Thank you for keeping me from using drain cleaner. My brother thanks you, too, since he's the one I would have called next. (03/16/2008)

By Sheryl

Cleaning a Garbage Disposal

While buying cleaning supplies at WalMart I came across a product called Spring Again Garbage Disposal Cleaner. It was only about $3 for 12 uses so I figured it was worth a shot. I am happy to report that it worked marvelously and it was really easy to use. (08/12/2008)

By Paul

Celery and Banana Going into Garbage Disposal
Cleaning a Garbage Disposal
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer), Man's hands holding a power screwdriver to a garbage disposal.
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer)
kitchen sink
Unclogging a Garbage Disposal
Clean garbage disposal drain.
Keeping Garbage Disposal Smelling Fresh
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage, Raccoon Scavenging Garbage
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage