Cleaning a Garbage Disposal

What is the most efficient way to keep a garbage disposal clean? I would like to know if there is a product I can buy, but after looking in some stores I have not found any for this specific use.

Judy from Riverside, CA

Cleaning a Garbage Disposal

I only had a garbage disposal once, and I ground up lemons in it. (02/23/2009)

By Carol L.

Cleaning a Garbage Disposal

Wow, lots of great information. I do 3 different things to keep my garbage disposal clean.

1. Make sure your disposal is off, take 1/2 cup of bleach and pour it into the disposal, this will kill off any bacteria that could be growing inside, now, if you feel that the bleach won't get into the areas properly, use an old rag, dip it into the bleach, then reach in and wash around the sides, etc. When finished pour the rest of the bleach into the drain.

2. Use ice to help keep the blades nice and sharp, you will find that by putting about a cup or so of ice into the disposal does a great job.

3. Last but not least to give it a refreshing smell and again to help the blades, cut up a lemon and toss it in, then run the disposal. It will be nice and aromatic, but also be clean. The acids from the lemon also help to kill off bacteria

By TxBluEyes

Cleaning a Garbage Disposal

When I use my garbage disposal, after I shut the disposal off I always leave the water running for approximately 30 seconds. This keeps it clean. (02/25/2009)

Cleaning a Garbage Disposal

I just did this. It's a helpful hint I read somewhere. I don't use hot water when doing dishes. No matter how hot it is, if your dishes are not being boiled for at least 5 minutes, it does no good to run the hot water and do your dishes with it. Hot water also melts that grease from food down your drain and pipes and it ends up clogging your pipes, then you end up calling the plumber. I had a plumber tell me, that I would be very bad for his livelihood.

I use a good amount of Dawn dish soap and some water softener, like Calgon or White King D and soak, scrub, and rinse well. Well, my disposer got really disgusting lately and I poured down about 1 cup of baking soda and poured, slowly, vinegar until the soda was almost down the drain and let it foam for a few minutes. Then run cold water for a few minutes. It worked really well and deodorized the drain and pipes. (02/25/2009)

By C.Thayer

Cleaning a Garbage Disposal

Just cut up some lemons and put down the disposal. They clean and deodorize.

Janette (02/25/2009)

By Ashley

Celery and Banana Going into Garbage Disposal
Cleaning a Garbage Disposal
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer), Man's hands holding a power screwdriver to a garbage disposal.
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer)
kitchen sink
Unclogging a Garbage Disposal
Clean garbage disposal drain.
Keeping Garbage Disposal Smelling Fresh
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage, Raccoon Scavenging Garbage
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage