Cleaning a Linoleum Floor

I live in an old flat in a large city and would like to know how I can clean the old, fake wood linoleum (roll type) that is on the floors? Anyone have any idea of how to get all the grime off? I would so appreciate knowing. I have been waxing it for years and need to strip it clean and start again. Thank you.

By Lisingreece from Greece

Answers:

Cleaning a Linoleum Floor

You can try good old Comet cleanser and a scrub brush. When it's completely dry, apply a coat or two of Mop and Glow. I have used this approach a number of times. It takes some amount of elbow grease but works very well. One thing to remember is not to use a floor cleaner after doing this or the shine will be gone. I just use warm water to wipe up spills until it needs another "treatment". Knee pads are a must! (09/23/2009)

By jabsgram

Cleaning a Linoleum Floor

Heavens, it's probably better to ask your landlord to replace it. We replaced our own in the kitchen. (09/23/2009)

By pamphyila

Cleaning a Linoleum Floor

Use a floor polisher (with a sealed bottom). Simply pour pure ammonia on the linoleum, turn the polisher loose in the liquid, and mop it off. Be sure to open windows and remove plants or fish that could be affected by the fumes. Works like a charm! (09/23/2009)

By siris

Cleaning a Linoleum Floor

Thank you all for your help and advice. Landlords over here do nothing for their tenants, so no use to ask her to put in new linoleum! But will try the other suggestions. (09/24/2009)

By Lisingreece

Cleaning a Linoleum Floor

Sometimes if there is a very, very large amount of wax buildup, ammonia (even straight) won't work. You can go to a janitorial supply store and ask for wax stripper. Amazingly it is even better than ammonia. Just follow directions. I had that problem once, and when straight ammonia didn't work (and it always had in the past), my friend who owned a janitorial supply shop suggested the wax stripper. I used it straight and had to use rubber gloves and apply it to a small area (2-3 feet square) at a time. It was amazing how well the stripper worked. (09/24/2009)

By Noella

Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Linoleum Floors
A can of blue paint.
Painting Vinyl (or Linoleum) Flooring
Paint can with red paint.
Removing Paint from Linoleum
Cleaning Discolored Linoleum
🎉
🎄