Cleaning an Old Butcher Block Wood Table

I just purchased an old (I am guessing at least 40 years) butcher block wood table. It is worn and very dirty around the edges. I would like to clean it. I am afraid to sand it as I do not want to ruin the finish. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks. Ralphed

Answers:

Clean Wood Table

I just got a old wooden butcher block table that my father made years ago and it had sat in a shed for years. I took warm water with Dawn Dish soap in it and scrubbed it with a medium bristle toothbrush. Mine cleaned up really well. After I let that dry good then I washed it with Murphy's oil soap. That brought out the shine of the cabinet. Hope this helps. Nan from
IA (05/27/2004)

By Nancy

Clean Wood Table

"Real" butcher's blocks years ago used to be scrubbed, along the grain, with sawdust and a wire brush. The sawdust soaked up the blood and fat and the wire brush got all the residue out of the grain. The chopping followed by this scrubbing gave them the usual smooth curved hollow in the top. So if you want an "authentic" finish you could do this.

Regards.

Jo (05/27/2004)

By Jo B.

Try bleach. Not only will it get stains out it will disinfect it too. If that doesn't work try some CLR bathroom cleaner. It took apple stains from my chopping block. (06/12/2004)

By raspberry383

Go with the grain with a good steel bristle brush. Don't wet it. The ole blocks used to be maple, if your keen on sanding it go for it. Don't use any type of sealer or oil when done. If stained use a high grit with a belt sander with the grain. Take the advice from a butcher. (07/30/2007)

By

Knife and Butcher Block
Butcher Block Care and Maintenance
Cleaning up Mildew From Wood
Removing Mildew from Wood
Chopping Wood, Axe in Wood Log
Chopping Wood
Butcher Paper Rolls
Uses for Butcher Paper
Hands polishing a wood table
Cleaning Wood Furniture
🎄
🍂