Coconut Fiber Candle Holders

Category Decorations
Coconut Fiber Candle Holders
This is a guide about coconut fiber candle holders. Natural coconut fiber is an excellent material for craft projects, and can be used to decorate a useful, attractive candle holder.

On the island we use different plants, fibers, and dried leaves to make crowns, leis, costumes, and decorations. Two of my favorite fibers and dried leaves come from the coconut tree and banana tree. The natural woven coconut fiber makes an excellent material for costumes and different craft projects.

In this craft project I have chosen the coconut fiber tissue to decorate some recycled yogurt glasses I had laying around my home. The small glasses are excellent to burn lemongrass candles in. The lemongrass candles help control the mosquitoes in and around your home. In my garden, I plant lemongrass to keep the mosquitoes away from my home.

Total Time: 1 hour

Yield: 1 candle holder

• 1 coconut fiber tissue
  • 1 pen
  • 1 scissors
  • 1 glue or hot glue gun and glue sticks
  • 1 yd decorative ribbon
  • 1 small candle
  • 1 recycled yogurt glass or bottle
  • 1 paint brush
  • 1 hair dryer

1. Clean the coconut fiber tissue. You'll need to wash the tissue in a tub of warm water. The tissue is strong, but can also be damaged quite easily. So when washing the fiber you'll need to be careful not to scrub the fiber with a brush. I normally soak my fiber in a tub of warm water for around 30 minutes. When the fiber is clean I remove it from the tub and hang it in the sun to dry.
  2. Place the fiber flat on your table.
  3. Ad
  4. Find the center of the fiber and place your glass in the middle.
  5. Use a pen to draw around the bottom of your glass.
  6. If you're using a hot glue gun you'll need to apply the hot glue around the circle drawn on your fiber and in the middle of the circle. Immediately sit the glass on the hot glue and allow it to dry.
  7. Ad
  8. Otherwise, use your glue to apply a generous amount of glue to the coconut tissue and the bottom of your glass. Sit the glass on the coconut fiber and use a hair dryer to dry your glue. If you have time, allow your glue to dry naturally.
  9. Once the glue is dry, you'll need to turn your glass over on the table.
  10. Gently start forming the coconut tissue around the glass. Use your scissors to cut the tissue. I normally cut straight lines in 4 or 5 places around my class. This helps to form triangles around the tissue and makes it easier to wrap around my glass.
  11. Ad
  12. After you have formed the tissue around your glass use your decorative ribbon or cord to tie the tissue it in place. I prefer the natural look of the tissue around my glass. However, you can always use glue to attach the tissue to the outside of your glass.
  13. Trim the coconut tissue that is frayed or sticking up too high around your glass. When I make these candle holders I normally don't trim too much of the coconut tissue away.
  14. Place a small candle in the center of your glass and light the candle.

Isn't this a fire hazard? Be careful :)

I have used these for years and they don't catch on fire. I use a very small candle in the bottom of the jar.