Collect Samples For Frugal Gifts

I have been out of work for 1 1/2 years and my sick leave pay ran out last March. I have 7 siblings and their families plus my 2 kids to buy gifts for on birthdays and holidays.

Here's my solution!

I get free samples off the web, choose the appropriate ones for certain people and ages. I buy small gift bags from the dollar store and chock them full of various samples and other free stuff.

Children, teens and adults love them! (And it's like Christmas everyday in my mail box!)

By Gwen from Palatka, FL

Answers:

Collect Samples For Frugal Gifts

Gwen, do you get free samples from WalMart site? Your idea is wonderful. I wish you the best.God Bless. (08/03/2008)

By keeper60

Collect Samples For Frugal Gifts

I LOVE my "freebie sites"! I've done this once or twice as gifts and are they great to have around as 'stocking stuffers' at Xmas time, too! (08/04/2008)

By doodles

Collect Samples For Frugal Gifts

I was wondering what some of your favorite freebie sites are. I basically only get free samples from Walmart but would love to find other good sites. What do you suggest?

(08/04/2008)

By Cindy

Collect Samples For Frugal Gifts

It sounds like you are smart to do what you can to give gifts. Here is what I have been doing since I have not been able to work. I spent 25.00 dollars at the fair to make a nice, "old thyme" photo of myself. Then, I took it home and scanned it. The relatives close got a print out with a home made or Dollar Tree frame I fancied up. Those far away got an attachment that they printed and framed themselves. They understand and love the fact that I am practical. Another cool thing to put in those gift bags is your favorite recipes. Check out google for "graphics" and you can find some who are copyright free and they are recipe cards, or you can find them pretty cheap at thrift stores. If not, find cheap colored cards and make your own. If you have gardeners, cooks, crafters or handy people on your list, you can choose to put in recipes, craft kits/ideas, gardening tips, or small project instructions. Another cool thing to ad are "coupons" for one night of babysitting, a casserole, 4 hours of help with a project, house cleaning, etc.

One year, I literally had no money at all for gifts. I sent everyone a card and inside I sent them a pretty printed out certificate for 31,536,000 seconds of love for the next year. Most of them said that was the best gift I had ever sent and all they needed anyway! (08/04/2008)

By Poor But Proud

Collect Samples For Frugal Gifts

Gwen, some years ago, with growing families and dwindling budgets, one of my sisters suggested that we eliminate the holiday gifts to each other and all children over the age of 13 and to limit the amount we spent on each child younger than that, except for our own immediate families. Then, we had a drawing and each person got to pick the name of one adult to get a gift for and an affordable dollar amount was set. This worked wonders!

We were all relieved of the running around and the stress, we had more time to choose something appropriate (and sometimes hilarious); even the children appreciated it. They, in turn, had to present each of the adults with a homemade gift and were they clever! Paintings, poems, drawings, origami. They amazed us all and our annual celebration was spent with each other without the frenzy that had taken place in the past and has become one of the most beloved times we have together every year. (08/04/2008)

By

Collect Samples For Frugal Gifts

Another great "freebie" site is Startsampling.com. Also, you can google "samples", "free samples", or "freebies", and you will find a list of freebie sites. Good hunting. (08/04/2008)

By bailegirl

Collect Samples For Frugal Gifts

My favorite sites are: justfreestuff.com shop4freebies. com and freecycle.yahoo.com or just type "free samples"in your search engine and it should show many, many free sites! (08/05/2008)

By lambsden

Collect Samples For Frugal Gifts

3 of the best sites I visit everyday (and sometimes more!) are:

www.mommysavesbig.com
www.spoofee.com
www.todaysfreebies.com

These are great; no "gimmicks" attached (08/06/2008)

By doodles

Collect Samples For Frugal Gifts

I get freebies off the internet, too. Some friends and I swap our freebie finds info. One pal says she gives what freebies she doesn't use to her local VFW and the Vets then send the freebies off to our troops stationed in other countries. Another pal says she gives what freebies she doesn't use to her neighbor who has children in college and they're the recipients of her extra freebies. So all get used. (08/07/2008)

By badwater

Sample Sized Beauty Items
Uses for Sample Sized Beauty Products
Crafts Using Fabric SamplesFabric Sample Quilt
Crafts Using Fabric Samples
Sample Sized Beauty Items
Using Beauty Samples
A couple opening wedding gifts.
Registering for Wedding Gifts
Perfume Sample Bottles
Using Perfume Samples
🎄
🍂