Add to GuideAsk a Question
To Top

Collecting Child Support Without a Separation or Divorce

Category Child Support
Paper art of stick figure man and woman with stick figure children separated by a torn dollar bill in the shape of a heart
Collecting child support without a legal separation or divorce may be handled voluntarily or sought through an attorney. This is a guide about collecting child support without a separation or divorce.


ThriftyFun is one of the longest running frugal living communities on the Internet. These are archives of older discussions.

November 29, 20100 found this helpful

I have been living in a different home with my daughter for six years. I am not legally separated from my husband. Can I get child support without a legal separation or a divorce?


Collecting Child Support Without a Separation or Divorce

I would think as long as you are legally married there should automatically be some form of support. But if you have lived apart this long, why not get divorced? (09/25/2010)

By redhatterb

Collecting Child Support Without a Separation or Divorce

Each state has different laws. I would contact a lawyer. Someone at your town hall should be able to steer you to a cost free lawyer or call your state house and ask for there help to answer your question. That way you have the correct answer for the laws in your state. (09/25/2010)


By foxrun41

Collecting Child Support Without a Separation or Divorce

In some states, if your separation is legal, an order of child support will be issued at the time. My suggestion would be to file for divorce and get the order at the same time. But if divorce is not what you want, at least get the legal separation with order of support. His character is obvious if he isn't supporting the child now. (09/28/2010)

By Lilac

Collecting Child Support Without a Separation or Divorce

I found an awesome web site that has tons of info regarding child support and related topics! (10/03/2010)

By namandaegg

Collecting Child Support Without a Separation or Divorce

Erin I am telling you this because I have seen it happen. You had better get a lawyer and get everything in writing. You and your husband may be on friendly terms now, but things could change and it could get ugly. I have a friend who separated from her husband and everything was fine for about 3 years then her husband got a girlfriend and then they decided my friend was not a proper mother even though the husband was living with his new girlfriend. They thought they would get the little boy. They were wrong, but it was a mess for my friend and the little boy to go through. So please get everything in writing for your child's sake. (10/28/2010)


By Teresa Kay

Comment Was this helpful? Yes
Related Content
In This Guide
Court Paperwork regarding a child support hearing.
Collecting Child Support
Business and Legal Legal Child SupportAugust 2, 2016
A judge's gavel on top of hundred dollar bills.
Collecting Back Child Support
Dog With Separation Anxiety
Remedies for Dogs With Separation Anxiety
Child Support Payments and Social Security, Paper entitled Child Support Hearing.
Child Support Payments and Social Security
An upset mom burying her face in her hands.
Collecting Back Child Support if Parent is Deceased
Back to School Ideas!
Summer Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Published by .

Generated 2017/08/16 06:17:17 in 578 msecs. ⛅️️ ⚡️
Loading Something Awesome!